Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So how does the car detect the keyfob if there's no energy source from the fob to emit a signal to the car?
How Transponders work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your link does not describe a proximity key.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Then provide one that does if it's bugging you

Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Well no kidding the car keeps running. That's fundamental to my gripe. Why would it keep running if you take it out of park with no key in it? This violates a longstanding fundamental relationship between a key and the car: that the key has to be there to operate it.
Safety reason? Who knows. Obviously with computers these days, they could program the engine to turn off if the shifter is moved from Park to Drive without a key present. Pretty easy logic to program...

So there has to be a reason why engineers decided to leave it so that the car could be driven off with the key removed. I know it makes no sense, but my car does display a warning and chime when the key exits the vehicle, so to drive off without a key would need to be deliberate.

So I don't know why the car was designed that way. We could speculate all day.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Safety reason? Who knows. Obviously with computers these days, they could program the engine to turn off if the shifter is moved from Park to Drive without a key present. Pretty easy logic to program...
It would make far more sense to have the vehicle shut off when the brake is depressed if the key isn't present, then there's no chance of a thief even getting the car into neutral and moving it at all.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover;32889904[quote=NHDave View Post
It would make far more sense to have the vehicle shut off when the brake is depressed if the key isn't present, then there's no chance of a thief even getting the car into neutral and moving it at all.
Agreed, but like i said, they chose to keep the engine running for some reason?

But exiting the vehicle with the key and leaving the engine running is no different than leaving the keys in the ignition while you run into a store. A thief can hop into both cars and drive away. In the keyed car, you would turn off the engine and take the keys. With the keyless, you can just hit a button and take it with you as well. So i would say that the chances of having your car stolen all depend on your habits really, and not the actual technology making your car more theft prone.

I know with my car, i can lock my doors with the engine running if i take the key with me. I've done this before. My cars that have keys cannot do this, so if i leave the engine running with the key in the ignition, I must leave the doors unlocked. Of course this is probably vehicle specific.

For the most part, if i exit my vehicle, i turn off the engine and lock the doors...even to get gas.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM

582 posts, read 778,853 times
First, check the fob for a key. Some models have a key that slides into the fob. It is not really apparent until you look. But it will unlock the doors and trunk.

To start the car, the fob gets it power from the car. Energy is transmitted from the car to power the device, it is similar to the recharging pads used on some cell phones.

One of the advantages of a fob is security. There are only about a thousand key configuration made for physical keys on any one model. A fob can have billions of combination. The chips in some key was the first attempt to get around that limitation.

A second advantage is wear. As car of being driven long, wear on the ignition switch is becoming more common. The ignition switch for hard key is also becoming more complex. By moving to a button you reduce that issue. Should the button fail, it is a simple fix and doesn't require a new key.

The a manufacturing advantages also. All the fob can be made generic and then mated to the car at production. You no longer have to keep a specific key attached to a specific lock.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
The only difference between a transponder key and a proximity "key" fob is the key part. Otherwise they work exactly the same.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Then provide one that does if it's bugging you
It's not my obligation to substantiate your assertions. If you can't, be big enough to admit that you could be mistaken.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It's not my obligation to substantiate your assertions. If you can't, be big enough to admit that you could be mistaken.
I'm not mistaken, it was asked how the car computer detects the key if the key has no battery, my link explained it, works the same way with all of them, stop your whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive