Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM

681 posts, read 2,877,461 times

Advertisements

I've heard that this is called "clutch shudder", but I don't know much about it.

My pickup truck has a stick shift and if I try to accelerate from a stop under conditions requiring a decent amount of power (I'm on an uphill grade, for example), letting the clutch in to a certain extent will produce this horrible shaking which feels like it ought to be powerful enough to shake the transmission right off of its mounts.

If I accelerate from a stop on level ground and do it slowly enough, I do not get the shaking. However, trying for a fast acceleration or a powerful acceleration will inevitably create the severe shaking which rattles my entire truck at least until I let the clutch in fully. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
probably a leaky rear main seal allowing grease to get on clutch; or the pressure plate and clutch disk is glazed or burnt.

In either event it requires transmission and clutch to be removed, check with a local clutch shop, they are usually the least expensive, but be sure they use good materials to replace components and get a quote + a 'worst case' quote up front.

You don't mention the size of truck, but it should be ~$250 - $300 for this (~6hrs + parts) If it is a 1 ton or diesel truck it might be $500-$600, (more expensive parts).

Old 07-20-2008, 04:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Probably a rear main seal leaking, or weak pressure plate. Glazed disk or burnt smell would cause engine RPM to increase without acceleration due to slippeage and not a chatter. Steve

Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM

There is no slippage in the transmission once the clutch is fully engaged. It's just when I'm letting the clutch in under a situation where I need a decent amount of power for the acceleration that it becomes a problem.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:22 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
You're not giving it enough gas, plain and simple imo - the engine is lugging because you're loading the transmission without enough gas to power it. Try simply upping the revs as you pull away and see if that remedies it.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
You're not giving it enough gas, plain and simple imo - the engine is lugging because you're loading the transmission without enough gas to power it. Try simply upping the revs as you pull away and see if that remedies it.
That makes it worse. The more power I'm applying while accelerating from a standing start with the clutch engaged like maybe halfway, the worse the shaking becomes. If I just pop the clutch in and deal with the one-time "jerk" as the transmission connection to the engine becomes direct, I have no trouble. The engine isn't lugging- the shaking is coming from the transmission or the clutch and it only happens in first gear when I'm accelerating under high power requirements. (It could happen in other gears too, I'm sure... but once I'm rolling, I can just drop right into the other gears as I upshift... so I wouldn't know.)

Old 07-20-2008, 05:36 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Lets get some numbers - what rpm are you engaging at? What is the engine size?

At 2,000 rpm, if you engage the clutch and keep rpms constant, do you get the shuttering?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:29 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I've heard that this is called "clutch shudder", but I don't know much about it.

My pickup truck has a stick shift and if I try to accelerate from a stop under conditions requiring a decent amount of power (I'm on an uphill grade, for example), letting the clutch in to a certain extent will produce this horrible shaking which feels like it ought to be powerful enough to shake the transmission right off of its mounts.

If I accelerate from a stop on level ground and do it slowly enough, I do not get the shaking. However, trying for a fast acceleration or a powerful acceleration will inevitably create the severe shaking which rattles my entire truck at least until I let the clutch in fully. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Whatever it is, NWPAguy . . . it doesn't sound good.

If it were mine, I'd have it in the shop first thing Monday morning.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:32 PM

My truck doesn't have a tachometer, so I can't figure out what the engine speed is. The shuddering seems to be irrelevant to engine speed. I could zoom the engine and engage the clutch very slowly, and get no shudder.

The engine is a 225 slant 6.

Bummer- It's been doing this ever since I bought it, and I've put 20,000 miles on it. It doesn't happen all the time... just when I have to accelerate from a stop when I need a lot of power (such as when I'm on an uphill grade). I probably will get it checked out, as I'm going to be using this truck to help me move to Texas next month.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:34 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Then dont worry about it and stay away from thos stopsigns on hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive