Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
Iraq should of been self suffient. their resources for our military. So you want the government to oversee these business's because of jobs? let someone else with the know-how create a business that has some foresite and thought, umm toyota, nissan, whomever. like I said where do I sign up for a business knowing if I fail I have big government there to bail me out. This country was created to limit the authority of government, now days we want government to take care of us all.

The problem is the ones who create the problems aren't the ones who suffer. People attempt to blame the unions yet the executives who agreed to contracts years ago, knowing full well they'd be happily retired when the bills came due are equally to blame. Or like AIG, the CEO ran the company stock down 40% during his tenure and walked away with a $68M 'tip' for doing so, wanna bet it isn't the everyday workers who will pay the price with lower increases and less benefits? I don't.

You can foerget about limiting government, it's grown beyond our ability to do that, it's time we make sure it's focused on America and Americans first. People were OK with the government protecting the airline industry after 9/11 because they feared its demise would have dire consequences, failure of the auto industry would have similar results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,710 times
terrible.

people need to get smacked hard by the invisible hand when they mess up. only then will they learn.

the invisible hand doesn't only work in the good times when it jerks you off.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
terrible.

people need to get smacked hard by the invisible hand when they mess up. only then will they learn.

the invisible hand doesn't only work in the good times when it jerks you off.
Government involvement in business often is the invisible hand at work.

Laws of economics lead to the laws of politics. Those who ignore the laws of politics may learn the laws of ballistics, like the last Tsar did.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,710 times
i don't think all government involvement is wrong. but something as big and drastic as bailing out failed businesses is a under-optimal allocation of capital and only helps to prop up under competitive businesses that should go under.

things like the fda, or safety, or cafe standards are all things that the gov involves themselves in and i agree on most of them. bailouts, no. major 'corrections' are healthy and allow industries to return to equilibrium and efficiency.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 AM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
I believe if the Big Detroit Three did get into this sort of trouble that they do deserve a bailout. The United States helps every single other country on the face of this earth but they will not help the Detroit Three?! It appears to me that the United States of America will help everyone but Americans. Many people do not know how big of an impact the Detroit Three have not only the Michigan economy but the economic conditions of the entire country.
And also some of us are part of todays "middle class America" because of General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and the U.A.W. and that wealth has been built on. Much of the middle class then send their kids to college with that auto money, oh yeah, and then those young people moved out of Michigan and made the West and Southern America as strong as it is today. It's sad to see so many people disloyal to America today but proudly thinks of themselve as a real American. Yes, that means all of those Japanese driving, Walmart shopping people who hang an American flag on their front porch. You know the U.S. is real backward when you see a Toyota Prius with an American flag attached to the passager window.
I agree with many that both canidates have their flaws. But there is no way that I would ever vote for McCain. The republican's have not cared about the American auto market since the begining. Bush can not wait to get out of a meeting wit the big three every five years, because he just does not care. He just says to them "Raise fuel economy, and be more competitive" this is a nice way to treat the companies who built middle class America. Yet Bush thinks it is good news when he hears that VW and Toyota are building new plants in America. HELLO! These workers are being paid $9-10 dollars an hour! How can you start a family, buy a house, even buy THEIR car for that amount of money!! If the Americans did not start buying Japanese cars in the first place then the big three would not need to cut jobs and cut pay down to $14 an hour. I am not a big 3 employee but I am an American and will always buy a REAL American car.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 AM

107 posts, read 283,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I believe if the Big Detroit Three did get into this sort of trouble that they do deserve a bailout. The United States helps every single other country on the face of this earth but they will not help the Detroit Three?! It appears to me that the United States of America will help everyone but Americans. Many people do not know how big of an impact the Detroit Three have not only the Michigan economy but the economic conditions of the entire country.
And also some of us are part of todays "middle class America" because of General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and the U.A.W. and that wealth has been built on. Much of the middle class then send their kids to college with that auto money, oh yeah, and then those young people moved out of Michigan and made the West and Southern America as strong as it is today. It's sad to see so many people disloyal to America today but proudly thinks of themselve as a real American. Yes, that means all of those Japanese driving, Walmart shopping people who hang an American flag on their front porch. You know the U.S. is real backward when you see a Toyota Prius with an American flag attached to the passager window.
I agree with many that both canidates have their flaws. But there is no way that I would ever vote for McCain. The republican's have not cared about the American auto market since the begining. Bush can not wait to get out of a meeting wit the big three every five years, because he just does not care. He just says to them "Raise fuel economy, and be more competitive" this is a nice way to treat the companies who built middle class America. Yet Bush thinks it is good news when he hears that VW and Toyota are building new plants in America. HELLO! These workers are being paid $9-10 dollars an hour! How can you start a family, buy a house, even buy THEIR car for that amount of money!! If the Americans did not start buying Japanese cars in the first place then the big three would not need to cut jobs and cut pay down to $14 an hour. I am not a big 3 employee but I am an American and will always buy a REAL American car.
Greed is whats doing in the big 3, yet other car companies are still maintaining their business. Cut pay down to $14/hr? What do you think most ppl make now a days? A majority would welcome $14. If GM cant do business to survive then someone else sure will. I will ask again, so if I contribute those things you stated, put workers families thru college, ect. then when I refuse to compete to allow my busines to continue, I can expect big government come and bail me out? Step outside once in a while and realize we are in a global market, and those big 3 kept hosing you all these years and did nothing to help them prepare to survive. ( and they knew it was coming)

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
Quote:
Greed is whats doing in the big 3, yet other car companies are still maintaining their business. Cut pay down to $14/hr? What do you think most ppl make now a days? A majority would welcome $14. If GM cant do business to survive then someone else sure will. I will ask again, so if I contribute those things you stated, put workers families thru college, ect. then when I refuse to compete to allow my busines to continue, I can expect big government come and bail me out? Step outside once in a while and realize we are in a global market, and those big 3 kept hosing you all these years and did nothing to help them prepare to survive. ( and they knew it was coming)
I don't know if "NC" means North Carolina, but up here in Michigan the cost of living is very high, and $14 an hour does not cut it. I know that many of you southern republicans would still vote for a republican even if you were forced to live in a box. Anyway, I know that we are in a global market. And thanks to the corrupt politicians today that continue to let more trash from China and elsewhere the economy is crippling. We can all thank NAFTA for all of this. And "McBush" not only supports NAFTA but wants to expand on it, and continue of imports and discontinue the exports. Now it is going into the reverse were Japan and Germany have gotten to the point where they do not want to pay the high price to their auto workers who make the big Japanese three and VW, so they come over to the US, specifically the southern US to build car factorys because many southern Americans will live in a trailer and work for $9 an hour. I personally will not do that I will move out of the US before I get to that level.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I am not a big 3 employee but I am an American and will always buy a REAL American car.

What IS a REAL American car?

A Pontiac made in Canada?

A Honda made in Ohio?

A Ford made in Mexico?

A Hyundai made in Alabama?

What takes precedence, the country where the cost of manufacturing is spent or the country where the net profit is sent?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM

107 posts, read 283,469 times
"I personally will not do that I will move out of the US before I get to that level"
Let me pack your bags. I happen to be originally from cleveland and yet you spew your biased opinion to lump all us southeners together. like I said come out of your bunker and take a look at the real world. I use to pump gas with a guy when I was in my teens that worked for ford, he got 26 weeks a year in vacation. now you tell me why the big 3 are hurting. Union greed brought down the steel towns.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
"I personally will not do that I will move out of the US before I get to that level"
Let me pack your bags. I happen to be originally from cleveland and yet you spew your biased opinion to lump all us southeners together. like I said come out of your bunker and take a look at the real world. I use to pump gas with a guy when I was in my teens that worked for ford, he got 26 weeks a year in vacation. now you tell me why the big 3 are hurting. Union greed brought down the steel towns.

And management was slaving away for chump change?

It takes two sides to make a contract, believing that only one side is responsible for any problems a contract causes is unrealistic. One of the reasons management is paid the big $$$ is they allegedly have the foresight to plan well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive