Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

107 posts, read 283,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And management was slaving away for chump change?

It takes two sides to make a contract, believing that only one side is responsible for any problems a contract causes is unrealistic. One of the reasons management is paid the big $$$ is they allegedly have the foresight to plan well.
True, so why should we bail them out for their short sightedness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:34 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
True, so why should we bail them out for their short sightedness

There's a big difference between bailing out bloated, self serving management and ensuring the continuation of an industry that's vital to the economy.

WHY should we place the blame on unions as you've attempted to do? As I've said, they've got NOTHING that management hasn't agreed to.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
"I personally will not do that I will move out of the US before I get to that level"
Let me pack your bags. I happen to be originally from cleveland and yet you spew your biased opinion to lump all us southeners together. like I said come out of your bunker and take a look at the real world. I use to pump gas with a guy when I was in my teens that worked for ford, he got 26 weeks a year in vacation. now you tell me why the big 3 are hurting. Union greed brought down the steel towns.
I just may start packing my own bags, thank you very much. I am currently thinking about the city of Dubai. That's where all of the wealth seems to be and it appears like it will be there for a long time. They cannot build buildings fast enough right now.

As for your your comment about the Union. You obviously don't know what a union is all about or what it is meant to do. The U.A.W. has done nothing but to help families. Do you think that the people working in the Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and VW plants have the proper standards as the Detroit 3 do or did before the Japanese brands killed them. If someone were to get majorly hurt in one of these plants, the companies, because they are not unionized don't have to do one single thing about it. They most likely would fire you for the injury and say oh well, you can't work so we will just let you go. The unions were designed for the people and their quality of life. By destroying the unions you are destroying many peoples quality of life.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
^^^ Don't worry, I'm sure Dubai is a union town with extensive worker protection and injury-comp statutes.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM

210 posts, read 671,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
The MI democrats asked for this bailout. McCain refused. Obama Endorses. Would this help Detroit? Or is it putting a band-aid on a laceration? The way the auto industry is going, is it worth it?
Any proof or documentation of this? Maybe you can look it up on the Internet - McCain does not know how to use the Internets.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
.....Do you think that the people working in the Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and VW plants have the proper standards as the Detroit 3 do or did before the Japanese brands killed them. If someone were to get majorly hurt in one of these plants, the companies, because they are not unionized don't have to do one single thing about it. They most likely would fire you for the injury and say oh well, you can't work so we will just let you go.

Nonsense. Numerous State and Federal Workers' Compensation laws cover every worker in the US, union or non-union.

Unions had a noble purpose in the beginning, but they got too greedy....and now the game is over.

The Big Three can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I haven't bought one of their crappy cars in over 15 years, and I never will again.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^^ Don't worry, I'm sure Dubai is a union town with extensive worker protection and injury-comp statutes.
Many of the United States construction companies work is all in Dubai building it's massive record breaking skyscrapers. And trust me these people are making more than $9 an hour doing these jobs.

Many Americans are scrared to believe that the most powerful politicians of this country have sold us out for their own wallet. Most of America is now owned by China, look at the debt we are in with them, that is for another thread though.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Or, alternately, many Americans are scared to compete with third-world peasants with third-grade educations in the global economy, so insecure are they in their own productivity and ingenuity. Not surprisingly, many of those people live in dying union towns, sitting around waiting for someone or something to bring jobs back to them, allowing themselves to be played by cynical politicians for their own wallets, rather than going to where the jobs are. That is for another thread though.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Unions had a noble purpose in the beginning, but they got too greedy....and now the game is over.

And now much of that greed has switched to management at levels never dreamed of by unions, CEOs taking tens of millions of $$$ for lowering the value/performance of their companies. Greed is hardly limited to one side of the bargaining table.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,222 times
From what I hear, the South-based factories of the Japanese Big 3 (Toyota, Honda and Nissan) pay well (enough) and offer good benefits. To assume that a company don't take care of their workers just because it is not unionized is as bad as assuming that unions are the only cause of the decline of the American Big 3. There are companies that aren't unionized that treat their workers well.

$9 an hour in Dubai don't go far considering the skyrocketing price of real estate there. I hear they hired illegals, and treat them worse than in the United States. Don't assume for a moment you're going to get privileged treatment just because of your US citizenship. Unless you have millions of $$$ to spare, you are just another foreigner in the eyes of the locals. Albeit a non-Middle Eastern, non-Muslim, non-Arabian foreign alien.

Government bailout is a bad idea. California tried that with the energy crisis, only to lead to billion-dollar deficit. Business is business. You win, you lose. When you lose, you have to make sacrifices (retrenching, tightening the belt, etc.) for the sake of survival. You ride with it, and recover from it. Learn from your mistakes, and strive to be better than your competitors. If anyone has to bail them out, it should be another business establishment. An entity that has no business being in business (or knows how to) should not be meddling.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 07-25-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive