Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times

Advertisements

I notice when I look at used cars on dealer lots and by previous owners, some of their cars are incredibly clean (as if "new") with no dings or dents anywhere... there are 100k miles on them, the interior is incredible, and there are no dents anywhere... I have never owned a car that I couldn't leave many, MANY small dents on... sometimes there are hailstorms and I am at work and don't have it under a protected garage, its got dings on the trunk, the top, and the hood... There are so many dings on my door because the car next to me is a complete a$$ and slams their doors against mine... When I am driving on the road, I get rocks thrown up against my windshield, top, and hood and sometimes there is damage from that... but I driven less than 70k miles on my car... how do these people keep their cars so "new"? Most of the dealer cars are left out for people to see, they must get hail damage on these used cars but I don't see it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,407,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I notice when I look at used cars on dealer lots and by previous owners, some of their cars are incredibly clean (as if "new") with no dings or dents anywhere
Used Car Dealers are grand masters at turd-polishing.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:07 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,699 times
That's what the body shop is for.
We had a huge storm here a couple months back and one of the dealers had a "hail damage" sale...guess they were really messed up!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,150 times
no kids

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
no kids

LOL, that was my first thought too! My husband, who never has the kids in his truck, keeps his spotless. My vehicle however, it's very evident the kids outnumber me

Old 07-26-2008, 06:54 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,232 times
I did the same with all of my cars.

- They lease them
- Drive when roads not busy
- Garage at work and/or home
- Clean them alot
- Single owners
- Dont park near other people

Also the dealers probably do alot to them before putting them out on the lot.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM

225 posts, read 716,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I did the same with all of my cars.

- They lease them
- Drive when roads not busy
- Garage at work and/or home
- Clean them alot
- Single owners
- Dont park near other people

Also the dealers probably do alot to them before putting them out on the lot.
The secret is to care what you own. Taking pride!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
I drove a Honda Element for four years. The inside bed was badly scratched because I actually used the car for its intended purpose which was hauling around furniture etc., but the only exterior scratch was a malicious (and deep) one someone put on it in San Francisco. Otherwise I left it as fresh as when it rolled off the lot.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:12 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
I get a lot of comments on my '00 Celica - usually someone will get in for the first time and ask if it's new and I tell them the car's true age. I've kept the car that way by keeping it garaged at home and covered at work, conditioning the leather a couple of times a month and vacuuming it on a regular basis. The car gets washed every 3 weeks or so and every other time I put another coat of wax on it. I don't use soap when I wash the car.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:40 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
I have a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi with about 150,000 miles. It looks great principally for the following 'rules' that I follow:

1) Wash by hand, with carwash soap not dish soap, in the shade. Detail the car after every wash. Don't leave waterspots!! Don't let bird poop or other organic debris stay on your car for extended periods - as soon as you see it, wipe it off.

2) Garage it when at home.

3) Fix all blemishes before they get out of control. This may make no sense but my theory is if you allow the car to have one scratch or ding too many, then sooner or later you'll stop caring and it is all over (or others will observe this and not care).

4) Do not park anywhere near other cars if possible. I do not park close to building entrances. Instead, find a nice secluded spot.

5) Avoid adverse weather and have a second, daily driver for the grueling commute.

6) Like others have said, it helps not have kids.

7) Avoid driving behind trucks. Stay in the fast lane.

8) Keep your car in good to excellent running condition.

NOTE: I acknowledge none of these things are always practical. When it comes to material things, others may like really nice clothes, food, or other stuff, while for me it is a clean car. It seems reasonable to me especially if you've spent thousands of dollars purchasing it and are still making payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive