Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 16,481 times

Advertisements

I'm prepping my car for sale, so I'm going to be detailing it. (Claying, Polishing, Waxing) My question concerns polishing: I have very limited experience with polishing. How much (if any) paint should be on the pad after rubbing it in? I did a test spot on my red car, and there was some red color on the pad. I realize this is probably normal since polish is abrasive, but how much is too much? I don't want to ruin the paint.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunttuna24 View Post
I'm prepping my car for sale, so I'm going to be detailing it. (Claying, Polishing, Waxing) My question concerns polishing: I have very limited experience with polishing. How much (if any) paint should be on the pad after rubbing it in? I did a test spot on my red car, and there was some red color on the pad. I realize this is probably normal since polish is abrasive, but how much is too much? I don't want to ruin the paint.

Thanks
How long has it been since the last detail, Aunttuna?

Red oxidation on the rag should be expected if the paint has been even slightly neglected, especially with red paint. Also, removing that oxidation will reward you with a much clearer shine for the sale.

Lots of work but it should be worth the effort.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Pay attention to the paint, not the rag - apply light pressure - just enough to lift and move the paint, not so much you pick it up and the rag absorbs it - it takes some practice, but its not difficult. Notice the paint come to life as you apply light pressure, and don't worry about what the rag picks up. Also, remember to wax after you polish - protect that freshly polished paint!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:55 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
Well if your pad had the color on it then your dealing with a single stage paint job. How are you polishing, by hand, DA, rotary? Also what product are you using?

Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I'm doing it by hand. I believe the polish is called Liquid Diamond. It's been around the house for a while, I believe my father bought it.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Not sure about liquid diamond but it's important to know that companies (and probably some of the responders here) pretty much use the term "polish" and "wax" interchangably. We both know there is a big difference. What they call a polish may be a wax.

...but if you see paint lifting off, then it must be a true polish.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
Well if your selling the car and happy with the results your getting, then keep going! No need to buy new stuff. I remember seeing the product on info commercials on tv a few years ago. And I am going to say your not going to go through the paint doing it by hand (given your not concentrated on one small spot for hours). Your going to get the color on your pad as it is a single stage. I get a ton on my pads when I use the rotary on older cars. Best of luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Another tip is to do the waxing in the shade for best results.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Well, I finally did everything today. Between claying, polishing and waxing, the whole thing took about 6 hours...but it was well worth. The paint looks awesome! Smooth as glass

Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
pics!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive