Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actually stop at the White Line?
YES 60 66.67%
NO 9 10.00%
SOMETIMES 21 23.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:24 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I know someone who got a ticket for merely touching the line with the front tire by a few inches, absurd.
Take a look at cars nowadays. See how far back the front wheels are from the qactual front of the car? Maybe it isn't so absurd after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
I always do at stoplights, but I live in the city, in a very pedestrian heavy area. A creep into the crosswalk will get you a smack on the hood by a pedestrian, and you learn pretty quickly.

As for stop signs, I stop behind the line and creep if I can't see. Stopping past the line is one of my anal peeves (everyone's got a few!) that really makes me feel "sloppy." I'm clearly in the minority here, though, as the "california roll" (I'm not talking about sushi) earned it's name by my fellow CA drivers, i suppose.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
I usually stop at the line when...

I can do so in time and don't get hit by a 'surprise' red light.

I also believe there may be sensors at the line which will possibly cause the light to trip.

There's an obvious danger not to do so,such as trucks making wide turns into the intersection thus possibly hitting anything sticking out past the line which would then make me the idiot legally and physically.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
To all you that said yes I am going to call you out here and say I bet most of you dont even come to a complete stop at stop signs. So there is no way that you can say yes you stop behind the white line.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
To all you that said yes I am going to call you out here and say I bet most of you dont even come to a complete stop at stop signs. So there is no way that you can say yes you stop behind the white line.
Call me out, but I come to complete stops and use blinkers ALL the time.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I stop before the white lines like you are supposed to do. The room they make you take in driving is because you need room to move your vehicle. Be it car or truck you need that extra few feet for your personal safety. With your son I am guessing it was because he did not yield to oncoming traffic and was causing a hazard for everyone by poking around in front of the white line. The only other thing that would of caused that wreck was if the other driver was speeding.

For all those that think they know how to drive:
Pull BEHIND the white line. Not to it. not after it and don't ignore it.
Come to a full stop and check your view before going forward over the line
Pull forward staying to the right and in constant motion to merge into lane

People stopping twice and skipping the line causes wrecks.
Get you son a class on driving and enjoy the insurance discount. He may even get out of the ticket if the judge is nice and he sees that he is being proactive about changing the problem.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
i just noticed not to long ago while observing traffic waiting at a traffic light and noticed several cars were way ahead of the white line and into the crosswalk. i have noticed this at stop signs to and its seems to happen alot. so my question is Do you actually stop at the White Line?
I do it always. If I ever don't do it it's because the lines have been worn away from heavy usage. What's amazing is that I see law enforcement roll over the line a lot!

I'd hate to be a pedestrian when someone decides it's ok to not stop on the line.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 AM

312 posts, read 860,507 times
i pull out in front of the cross walk......i've got sh-- to do

Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Some intersections (at least around here), have indicators (or sensors) in the pavement that makes the traffic light turn green for traffic coming from that way. Sometimes if you pull too far up, the light will not change because your cars weight is not pressing down on the sensors. I have seen many times where people have pulled up too far and just set at a red light for a long time until a car comes up behind to trigger the sensors.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I know someone who got a ticket for merely touching the line with the front tire by a few inches, absurd.
Camera ticket? I would take that ticket to court if that was the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive