Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the fact that gas companies are putting "10% or less" ethanol in gas?
Yes 6 10.53%
No 48 84.21%
Undecided 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times

Advertisements

Do you like the fact that gas companies are putting "10% or less" ethanol in gas?

I don't, I cuts down on MPG and it's going to raise corn prices and food that has corn in it because ethanol is a corn product, heard that on the news.

I say NO to ethanol. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
You are, as far as I know, technically correct. The odd thing is that 10 ethanol in gas gives you almost an exactly 10% decrease in MPG -

Dumbest thing since Prohibition. Main effect was to double the price for corn tortillas in Mexico.

Brazil does ethanol right, making it from sugar cane byproducts, and even they are only able to meet about 40% of their transport fuel needs from biofuels.

It's not clear that making a gallon of ethanol uses any less than a gallon of Diesel (farm tractors, trucks to transport it) which is a damn poor trade.

Don't blame the oil companies, it's the Feds, the EPA, who are driving it.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:35 PM

147 posts, read 316,200 times
I hate it! Ethanol is one of the worst ideas ever! I buy non-ethanol gas for our 1994 Camry. The Camry has a V6 in it and I'm able to get 25mpg on non-ethanol gas-doubt I can do that on E10. You can thank the California Air Resources Board in addition to the EPA-after all the California Air Resources Board starts a lot of these so-called great ideas. MTBE out there was a disaster since it polluted the ground water supply.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You are, as far as I know, technically correct. The odd thing is that 10 ethanol in gas gives you almost an exactly 10% decrease in MPG -

Dumbest thing since Prohibition. Main effect was to double the price for corn tortillas in Mexico.

Brazil does ethanol right, making it from sugar cane byproducts, and even they are only able to meet about 40% of their transport fuel needs from biofuels.

It's not clear that making a gallon of ethanol uses any less than a gallon of Diesel (farm tractors, trucks to transport it) which is a damn poor trade.

Don't blame the oil companies, it's the Feds, the EPA, who are driving it.
i agree with you partially. we shouldnt be making ethanol form corn but only because the yield is much lower. that said, there are advantages to using corn to help make ethanol, and that is once the feed stock is processed into the mash, and drained of the liquid, it can then be sent to the farms to feed the farm animals an easily digestible feed.

otherwise i dont care if there is ethanol in the gasoline or not as i have never had any issues with E10 fuel in any of my cars.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I don't like it either but it's here to stay. Really, dropping from 30MPG to 27 is not a big deal, I'm more concerned with how it damages the rubber parts on the mower, shredder, tractor, chain saw, generator etc.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
^^^ My old Volvo 240 was averaging just about 30 MPG on summer fuel blends without E10. With it, I've noticed a drop to about 27 MPG and I measure my mileage every fill-up. My takeaway from this is that farmers are being rewarded for planting more corn and oil companies are selling me 10% more gas to travel approximately the same distance. Economically, it makes no sense. If, however, I am polluting 10% less, I'll take that as the upside. But then anything that burns adds carbon to the air so maybe we're more like 2-4% cleaner, if that. And I'm guessing on that last figure.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
^^^ My old Volvo 240 was averaging just about 30 MPG on summer fuel blends without E10. With it, I've noticed a drop to about 27 MPG and I measure my mileage every fill-up. My takeaway from this is that farmers are being rewarded for planting more corn and oil companies are selling me 10% more gas to travel approximately the same distance. Economically, it makes no sense. If, however, I am polluting 10% less, I'll take that as the upside. But then anything that burns adds carbon to the air so maybe we're more like 2-4% cleaner, if that. And I'm guessing on that last figure.
you are guessing at that last figure, as i said ethanol does not burn any cleaner than gasoline does, it only seems that way because the emissions sensors are set up for gasoline, not ethanol.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Nope. Will be a happy day if i can get 100% gas again.

Someone got a good kickback for mandating all gas be 10% ethanol. Farm industry much love that.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with you partially. we shouldnt be making ethanol form corn but only because the yield is much lower. that said, there are advantages to using corn to help make ethanol, and that is once the feed stock is processed into the mash, and drained of the liquid, it can then be sent to the farms to feed the farm animals an easily digestible feed.

otherwise i dont care if there is ethanol in the gasoline or not as i have never had any issues with E10 fuel in any of my cars.
Hemp is the way to go.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
If the media you ascribe to supports big oil you hate ethanol, but if you support buying American then ethanol is good. Either way there's absolutely zero affect, because your o2 adjusts accordingly. Ethanol does leave a smaller carbon footprint, and can create more power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive