Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why not just pick it up and go somewhere else.
Because she's no longer the person paying the bills on this. The way it works is her insurance company has reached an agreement with the repair shop. Good, bad or indifferent - it's their agreement. Only they can agree to stop in mid-stream and change horses. She would need to get her ins. co. approval, first, or could be sued - either by her ins. co. or the shop - for civil damages later if she forced the issue on that.

And that's sort of like stopping heart surgery while you're on the bypass machine and having your body taken to another hospital. Good luck on that if its merely to suit your "convenience".

Suggestion: Do a forum thread on your local area forum [not automotive] asking for opinions on the business and work quality reputation of your dealer's body shop. That might get some blood pumping somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 11,970 times
Angry I feel your pain

I dropped off my car to the body shop three weeks ago and so far all I've seen done is the left fender replaced. My car needs a hood and a whole new bumber, plus paint of course. Two days ago I was told it was at the paint house, yesterday I went up there because it was supposed to be finished and was still sitting in their shop with no bumber my old damaged hood and a new fender with primer on it.

Everyday it was supposed to be ready turned into the next. 5 days has turned into three weeks and I'm growing tired. I live pretty close so I'm up there 2-3 times a week, to see that no progress has been made. He says "they sent me the wrong headlight" "i have no brackets for the bumper", cant figure out the paint grade and color, etc.

Yesterday was my last day of these excuses and if my car is not ready today I'm seeking legal action. Luckily this past week he gave a POS from his body shop to drive because we have spent over $700 in rental cars. My insurance does not have rental coverage, so this has all been out of pocket. This car has no ac so its been hell picking my child up from school. Not only am I out a lot of money for taxis, and rentals me not having a vehicle is taking a toll on my work & school.

I have been promised a car from a guy that was referred to me, by a friend, every day this week. Not only that but I have to be harassed by him every time I see him. "Oh give me a hug", "I want to take you" on & on. It sucks to be a woman and try to have anything fixed let alone your car. Yes, parts play a huge issue in a timely release of a vehicle, and the fact that your car isn't the only car they have to work on, but what I can't stand is the constant lies. Over & over again. Today, tomorrow, next week!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!GIVE ME MY CARRRRR!

When this is all said and done, he will NEVER get another piece of business from me or my friends & family, and my car better look brand new. That paint better be the best paint job in history.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaghag08 View Post
I dropped off my car to the body shop three weeks ago and so far all I've seen done is the left fender replaced.. ...........
Making a few assumptions, here. Car was not driveable after the wreck, it is a semi-expensive late model import, and the walls of the body shop office abound with old school "pin-up" or cheesecake photos.

This sounds about normal for many body shop repairs where three or more replacement parts for late model cars are required. Wrong orders do occur, but it usually means the wrong ones were ordered - which the shop will usually not bother mentioning. Solution: Obtain a copy of all parts ordered as they are ordered and check them out on-line yourself. Amazing what one can find on the internet. When you find errors promptly notify the shop manager and ask for a copy of the new order correcting the wrong one.

When you drop in to check on your car are you always talking to the same person? It sounds to me you are not. If so, you are hearing whatever it is the person speaking thinks you want to hear. They are guessing and too busy to really find out! Solution: Always speak to the same person and try to make it the same time of day. He/she will get used to expecting you and after a couple of false starts should prove more reliable.

The sexism thing is not something that's impacted me, for some reason, so you're on your own about that I guess. I know I always tell my women friends to never go to a shop with pin-up photos on the walls. Seems to work every time.

Be sure to get your adjuster involved if the car is not acceptable when you pick it up.

Best wishes.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:22 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,510 times
Due to the wide area of damage, it could take awhile, especially if they find they have to order more parts halfway through fixing the problem. You've got damage to the rear quarterpanel, rear door, front door, hood, front fender, front bumper, two wheels, headlight. Rear quarterpanels tend to be a pain to fix, but when wheels get damaged, it's possible they find bearings, shocks/struts, tie rods, axles, etc need to be replaced too.

Every week, ask to see the car and the progress made. Ask which parts are on order. Be cool about it because they're probably having to work on a bunch of other cars as well. It's not always first-come first-serve. Much of the time they're going to fix the car that has the least damage just to get it out of there. Your car looks like it probably doesn't have frame damage, but that doesn't mean it won't take awhile to fix..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive