Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM

206 posts, read 1,013,451 times

Advertisements

Okay hello everyone I have a question, or concern rather Okay I have a 2005 Chevy Impala and it has unfortunately reached its' 100,000 mile mark. Now since it has reached it's mark it has been drinking alot of gas. I got the plugs changed but it is still drinking alot . I'm trying to see if I go and get the tune up will that alleviate that because in the past my gas lasted a while or at least 3 -4 dys and now it's like by day 2 it's almost on Empty. I also know a lot of gas stations have no good gas but In general I'm trying to find out is that what is causing this and once I get the tune up will I see a significant Difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Who changed your plugs, what did they put in? These cars are not hard to service. I personally prefer NGK plugs.

A proper tuneup done by someone who knows what they are doing should improve your MPG.

100K miles is not a lot on one of these if well-kept.

The thinnest grade of synthetic oil that is in accord with what your manual recommends will help MPG a little. If the car does not burn significant amounts of oil and does not leak oil this is worth doing.

Check that your brakes are not dragging, check your tire pressure.

If your fuel filter is original you are lucky that the car runs at all, I have found on FI cars that a clean fuel filter helps MPG as well as all-out power.

If you have not changed the oxygen sensor, it's due as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Check you inlet air temperature and your coolant temperature sensors. If either of these is not working properly it could cause your car to run rich and use more fuel than expected. Have somebody with a GM computer check the system.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Thank you both of you guys!! will do this weekend and let you know the update..

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times
You didn't mention the air filter. If it can't get air it will use more gas. You might also consider an injector cleaner. A clean injector atomizes fuel and it burns better.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Like others have said:

Check ALL of the filters: air & fuel.
Check your air pressure on your tires.
A good tune-up
Brakes properly working
All fluid levels
Change your oil REGULARLY

Act like your going to take this car on an "across the country" road trip w/ your family in it and check everything from one end to the other. Also take out an gear that you might keep in the trunk that can add weight. While all of the kids sports gear might not weigh much by itself it can all add up.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
How many miles are you driving per day. What is your gas milage? it would help if we knew this.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
How many miles are you driving per day. What is your gas milage? it would help if we knew this.
IDK.. it's kind of hard to say but I always reset my trip button before I fill up and on average within a week period my trip goes up to about 200 to 300.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:54 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Get a small notebook and pen/pencil and put in the car. Next time you fill up, write down the mileage, you can write down the gallons and with the trip meter you can figure out the actual mileage. Or, get a paper receipt, write down the trip meter miles on that. You have to fill the car up when you buy gas if you want to figure mileage. Divide miles by gallons. Probably the easiest way is to use the trip meter for the miles covered between fill-ups. You need to keep the record for at least a few tanks full, reason being is it's hard to get the tank consistently full, you will generally vary by a couple quarts of gas as to how full you get it. One way to get cleaner data is to fill up at the same pump, facing the same way, put the dispenser gun on the same click stop, let it fill up and when it shuts off automatically the first time, don't try to put any more gas in, just put the dispenser gun back and take your receipt. On any kind of lab or measurement work, it's important to minimize uncontrolled variables - anyway end of un-asked-for lab practices lecture....

Trlhiker is 100% correct - without knowing what MPG you are getting, we can't say if this is normal or low for your car.

Around May most of the country started getting 10% ethanol blended fuel, at least a 2% decrease in mileage can be expected with this (crap!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive