Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Maybe you are confusing "mounting" the tire to the wheel, and "mounting" the wheel/tire assembly to the car. Getting 4 additional wheels and mounting the snow tires on them means your regular, summer tires stay on their wheels. You still have to change the wheels and tires, frankly if you don't have at least a floor jack this is probably not something you want to get involved with.

You save money with the extra 4 wheels because you only pay to mount/balance the tires to the wheels once in the life of the tires, rather than paying to have the tires mounted and balanced 2X per year. You would save money on used wheels vs new ones because the purchase price of used wheels will (in general) be lower than similar new wheels. If you have a truck or SUV it might make sense to haul the 4 tires to a shop where they unbolt one set and put the other set on, but in a car it's pretty inconvenient. A proper jack, and a proper torque wrench, won't cost you much and will serve you well for the rest of your life. If you put your own wheels on, you can torque them correctly using the correct criss-cross pattern and to the correct torque value, rather than have the half-trained apes at the tire store run them down with an air wrench to God-knows-what torque.

Seichas ponyatna? (Russian for: so now do you understand it?!)

Beyond what's already been said, you avoid the possibility of damaging the tires and/or wheels in repeated mount/dismount operations. If your tire technician does the mounting procedure 100% correctly, the same tire could probably be mounted and dismounted dozens of times without damage. But most tire techs are not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, so the possibility of damage is always there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 05:34 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,539 times
Thank you, M3 Pitch for the information! BTW, I am still a novice when it comes to information regarding about cars, but I am learning! BTW, when you say wheel, do you mean rim just because the rim is just the outermost part of the wheel!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I'm thinking English is a second language for you - car jargon can be confusing anyway. Typically the word "rim" does refer to the outer circumference of a round object - but people sometimes refer to the wheel as a "rim". Don't ask me, I didn't make it up. To be clear, the inner metal part should be called a "wheel", the outer rubber part is "tire". Rim is slang for "wheel".

If you are new to driving, you picked a pretty hostile winter to start out in.

If you look around, you can find books by Sir Jackie Stewart on owning and driving a car. He does a good job of breaking the concepts down so the beginner can understand. I highly recommend them to you.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Yup, English is a second language for me! I was born in St. Paul,MN and I was taught to speak Vietnamese at home! I do notice that some of my grammar isn't correct, but I don't really care too much about it when I am typing on a forum!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:19 PM

Why are aluminium rims are better for summer? I know that aluminium rims are prone to rust if I use them during the winter, but steel rims are harder to rust? BTW, are the steel rims stainless steel or regular steel? Can you even get stainless steel rims or not?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Dubz are good for all seasons. Hunting for women season, winter, spring you name it!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Aluminum rims don't "rust" as we usually think of rust, but they do corrode. When exposed to the snow and ice remover that is spread on the roads, if you have a nick or scratch in the protective coating of your aluminum rim, it will speed that process up. Steel rims are plain old painted or powder coated steel and after a bit will rust. But, at a fraction of the cost of aluminum rims it isn't such a loss when you have to replace one (or even a set of 4).

Old 09-08-2008, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I bought a set of steel wheels for my Subie for the snow tires. They needed painting so I rigged a cable reel on a turntable bearing so I could just turn them while I painted. I used Rustoleum rusty metal primer and black enamel. They haven’t rusted after 5 NH winters.

The Buick Wagon is on 4 yr old 4-season tires and should be a fun driver this winter.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 PM

I just want to make sure that I totally get this straight! So,if I did get two sets of rims and two sets of tires! I would get charge only twice when I get my each set of rims mounted to my two set of tires! If I were to get two sets of tires and one set of rims!

1.Then,for every winter,I would get my tires unmounted from the rims and use the same rims mounted another set of tires,then I would get charge for it,am I correct?

2.As a result,rims could be expensive in the short term,but in the long run,it will save me money,right?

3.How does a auto shop charge for mounting and unmounting or is it all included? For example,if I wanted to get my winter tires with rims already installed mounted to my car,will they charge the unmounting of my summer tires or is it included in the price of mounting another set of tires?

FYI,I am going to learn how to use a floor jack and so on,but I have been occupied with other things since life is full of wonder! In addition,I am planning to get Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires! I hope that they are good,but they just came out this year!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
YEah I think you're finally understanding it.

Bottome line is, by the time you pay a shop 3 or 4 times to dismount and mount 4 tires, you could have just bought an extra set of cheapo wheels that will only take 5 minutes to switch over.

You can do it yourself in the driveway. Just make sure you torque your wheels to the proper specs. I don't know what kind of car you have, but the average car is 100ft.lbs.

Not only that, I can tell you, as a mechanic, my biggest pet peeve is some of my customers who refuse to buy an extra set of wheels for their car. They just insist on changing over the tires every season. I've tried explaining the cost savings to them, and they just don't get it, sort of like what you were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive