Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:28 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,874 times

Advertisements

Well,I am the type of person who like to try to understand something and the internet is useful for that fact because if a mechanic just tell me that it will save me money,but I don't get it away then I would argue and back forth with the mechanic,since I would be caught into the moment,but I won't time to think it over,but I can thanks to the internet where people can help others!

1.I am driving a 2002 Corolla LE,but I don't know what do you mean torque the wheels to the proper specs! Can you help me? I just know that I would buy the right winter tires for the car that I am driving because Tirerack searches for tires that goes with the car!

2.How does a auto shop charge for mounting and unmounting or is it all included? For example,if I wanted to get my winter tires with rims already installed mounted to my car,will they charge the unmounting of my summer tires from thr car or is it included in the price of mounting another set of tires to the car?

3.Why are aluminium rims are better to use than steel rims during the summer?

4. BTW, are the steel rims stainless steel or regular steel? Can you even get stainless steel rims or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
OK.....WHO IS ON FIRST?........anyway , Just go to Tire store , ask for a tire/wheel combo deal. ( The Michelin X ice is a good snow tire , Coopers are less expensive , just make sure , what ever you buy has the snowflake on the sidewall ) , the package will have steel wheels , or you can upgrade to aluminum , for looks only. Pay for the package ,. which they will install on your car , for the winter. Take your old tires and wheels ( still mounted ) home and store in garage. April 1st. go back to dealer with your summer set , and have them install on car. Take your winter set back home and store in garage until Nov. 1 st. , when you will go back to dealer again and replete what you did last year.
Now , no on stainless wheels, way too expensive , and not safe , as stainless grade used would be subject to failure. ( 304 ) . Could be done with 316 , still not safe . Steel wheels are stamped from steel alloy that is easy to form in a press., stainless is not.If you want shiny , try chrome steel , Cheaper than aluminum. However , in your case , the packages are pre priced, so take what they offer . ( best deal ).

Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
When I lived in snow land of Indianapolis,IN I would get a winter set of mud and snow tires and have summer tires removed about October and sown tires put on and reverse in April .

I had this done at Big 10 tires or Discount Tires regardless if I purchased the there or not and they NEVER charged me for this. Same if I had a flat tire still no charge. So of course to this day I buy all my tires at these stores when possible. Total cost $0.00..

Old 12-20-2008, 03:11 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
1.I am driving a 2002 Corolla LE,but I don't know what do you mean torque the wheels to the proper specs! Can you help me? I just know that I would buy the right winter tires for the car that I am driving because Tirerack searches for tires that goes with the car!
Just call the junkyard (auto salvage facility), and ask them how much money they want for a set of wheels for your car. Tell them they are for winter tires. This is usually the most economical way to buy a spare set of wheels.

Torquing the wheels means to tighten the nuts holding the wheels to the axle. A torque wrench should be used to apply the correct amount of force to tighten the nuts.

Quote:
2.How does a auto shop charge for mounting and unmounting or is it all included? For example,if I wanted to get my winter tires with rims already installed mounted to my car,will they charge the unmounting of my summer tires from thr car or is it included in the price of mounting another set of tires to the car?
Auto shops will either charge a fixed fee, or separate fees for each part of the service. Mounting/dismounting tires from wheels, and putting them on your vehicle costs $80-100 in most places.

If you have your tires already mounted on wheels, the tire shop you bought them from will often take off your winter wheels/tires, and put on your summer wheels/tires for free. If they do charge, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for this service.

Quote:
3.Why are aluminum rims are better to use than steel rims during the summer?
They aren't better, but they look prettier. Aluminum is bad in the winter because the magnesium chloride they put on the roads corrodes it. Steel wheels are actually better in the summer because they will bend instead of break if you hit a pothole.

My winter tires are on an ugly old set of aluminum wheels that I paid $15 each for. When the tires wear out, I'll take the wheels to the metal recycler, and get my $60 back by selling the aluminum.

Quote:
4. BTW, are the steel rims stainless steel or regular steel? Can you even get stainless steel rims or not?
You don't need stainless steel rims. The best way to save money is to get an old set of wheels from a car in the junk yard.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Just call the junkyard (auto salvage facility), and ask them how much money they want for a set of wheels for your car. Tell them they are for winter tires. This is usually the most economical way to buy a spare set of wheels.

Torquing the wheels means to tighten the nuts holding the wheels to the axle. A torque wrench should be used to apply the correct amount of force to tighten the nuts.

Auto shops will either charge a fixed fee, or separate fees for each part of the service. Mounting/dismounting tires from wheels, and putting them on your vehicle costs $80-100 in most places.

If you have your tires already mounted on wheels, the tire shop you bought them from will often take off your winter wheels/tires, and put on your summer wheels/tires for free. If they do charge, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for this service.

They aren't better, but they look prettier. Aluminum is bad in the winter because the magnesium chloride they put on the roads corrodes it. Steel wheels are actually better in the summer because they will bend instead of break if you hit a pothole.

My winter tires are on an ugly old set of aluminum wheels that I paid $15 each for. When the tires wear out, I'll take the wheels to the metal recycler, and get my $60 back by selling the aluminum.

You don't need stainless steel rims. The best way to save money is to get an old set of wheels from a car in the junk yard.
You are going to confuse unknowing people , by saying aluminum wheels break. Quality forged aluminum wheels are safer than steel. Most aluminum wheels have a clear coat over them. If you wash the car often in the winter , you will not have a problem with " white rust ". If a high impact , does cause a problem with aluminum , is usually a split in the inside area. The tel tail would be loss of air in the tire., not , a pc of wheel flying off. The greatest stress on any wheel comes from radial tires side wall pressures. Split rims are common , when the wrong size wheel is used . Forged aluminum will bend , just like steel. Iron oxide is the most common cause of failure , and , that can only occur in a steel wheel.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
I have 255/35 R 18 can I use 265/35 to fit on the same rim, or do I have to buy another rim? rear tires

Last edited by callmepel; 11-20-2013 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: rear tires only

Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Questions:
1 - Do you have a car now ?
2 - What kind of WHEELS and TIRES do you have on that car now?
3 - do you already have a set of winter TIRES ?
--- If not, find a tire store you like and gives you a good price,
and check if they have a policy of free rotating,
and tire change (summer -> winter -> summer)
Now buy the winter TIRES and mount them on cheapy steel WHEELS.

Your initial cost will be
four winter TIRES (get good ones, your life depends on them !)
four cheapy steel WHEELS (got mine from the junk yard, for 20 dollars each)
plus the cost they *may* charge for mounting them
(putting the TIRES on the WHEELS, and balancing them).

Cheapy steel wheels, does NOT mean bad wheels.
They just *look* cheapy !!!

With a good *deal* you can now from now on do a tire change from summer wheels&tires to winter wheels&tires, for FREE .
(The contract of buying tires from this store includes a warranty for road hazard, free flat repair and free tire change/rotation.)
NOTE: Rotating the tires is automatic since the tires are changed each year.
When they mount them, they mount them in a rotating manner.

One reason the above posters keep mentioning aluminum WHEELS, is because seldom nowadays, does a car have cheapy steel wheels as standard equipment.

My car has summer Aluminum WHEELS (Came withe car when I bought it)
and *all weather* TIRES, for driving during the summer time.
When it is time for winter, than the store does the changing for me (from summer to winter) for FREE on cheapy steel wheels.
I do not even have hubcaps for the winter tires !!

BUT .... I always buy a dozen doughnuts for the workers in that tire shop.
So ... , each change actually costs me 10 dollars
(for the doughnuts - I do not buy cheapy doughnuts !!).
I have been doing this for the last 17 years (same tire store)
and the people there, know me by my first name.
My family actually does ALL our business with that same tire store,
and thus we have 7 cars being served there. (Mother, Father, 5 kids)
My tires last about 5 years (if you research how long tires last time wise, then you will find that 5-7 years is a limit, regardless of mileage. I live where the summers are blazing hot and winters are deadly cold !)
How Old - and Dangerous - Are Your Tires?
So every 5 years, I spend money on four new summer or winter tires.
5 years of changing tires cost me thus 100 dollars or 20 dollars per year.

So ... , 8 new tires every 5 years, equals about 1200 dollars
(about average for regular sized wheels)
tire changes for 5 years equals 100 dollars.
total 1300 dollars, equals 260 dollars per year (per car)

One more thing, but it may not apply to you.
Sometimes, a fancy car comes with really expensive oversize aluminum wheels.
IF you would buy just winter tires for these oversize rims/wheels,
you would have to rob a bank or two to pay for them,
plus, you may get damage to your fancy WHEELS ...
By scrounging up cheapy steel wheels,
you can get back to *standard* size WHEELS and TIRES, and the TIRES would cost less !

Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
I got a set of winter tires with rims. It cost me only 20 dollars to have them swapped, it was treated as a tire rotation. The cost for putting tires on rims is a lot more because you need to balance and align correctly and can exceed 100 dollars. There is a higher initial cost for the rims but it saves you money in the long run. In my case I got a set of rims and winter tires slightly used from a forum designated for my car and they were cheaper than new tires alone!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Not only that, I can tell you, as a mechanic, my biggest pet peeve is some of my customers who refuse to buy an extra set of wheels for their car. They just insist on changing over the tires every season. I've tried explaining the cost savings to them, and they just don't get it, sort of like what you were saying.
Some people don't like the look of steelies on their car for six months, so they choose to pay a little more to swap tires on their favorite rims. It not always about the cost, its about aesthetics as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmepel View Post
I have 255/35 R 18 can I use 265/35 to fit on the same rim, or do I have to buy another rim? rear tires
Most likely, yes. But without knowing anything more than what you've provided here, it's not possible to say anything absolutely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive