Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM

432 posts, read 1,661,156 times

Advertisements

1.I don't the concept of getting new/used rims when I get my winter tires mounted? Can someone explain? How is that going to be cheaper for me?

For example, if mounting each tire is like $20 (one for winter tires and one for summer tires), so the total is $160, but if I get new/used rims, then they all can cost more than $160!

2.I forgot what type of rims are good for what season? Is it that the steel rims are good for winter and aluminium rims are good for the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,682,526 times
If you buy new rims you only mount tires once not every winter. Winter tires are mounted on steel (less attractive) less costly, wheels. I don't know what they use to melt ice in MN but I'd almost bet it's not easy on aluminum wheels. Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Usually you can find the steel wheels that are OEM for your car at a junkyard for less than new steel wheels. Tire vendors like to sell "multi-vehicle" wheels that may or may not fit exactly right on your car (they will work, but may not have a proper centering hub in the middle, these will put added stress on wheel bolts/lugs, which you will *probably* get away with, but, it's not best engineering practice..)

I would suggest your best bet is a set of 4 OEM steel wheels from a boneyard.

Better you than me for the Minnesota winter, pal. I lived in Iowa for a while...it got cold enough to freeze 'em off a brass monkey...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.I don't the concept of getting new/used rims when I get my winter tires mounted? Can someone explain? How is that going to be cheaper for me?

For example, if mounting each tire is like $20 (one for winter tires and one for summer tires), so the total is $160, but if I get new/used rims, then they all can cost more than $160!
A good set of snow tires will last you at LEAST 3 seasons, most of the time 4 seasons and I have had a set go 5 winters before. Even if they only last 3 winters, that is $480 in tire changes alone if you change them every season using your $20 a tire figure. You can change them out yourself and save a few bucks, or take the sets down to your local tire dealer and they will swap out the mounted tires and rims for a LOT less than if they had to demount a set of 4 then remount and balance a set of four every season.

Quote:
2.I forgot what type of rims are good for what season? Is it that the steel rims are good for winter and aluminium rims are good for the summer?

Steel for winter, Aluminum for summer.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 AM

So, the tire dealer have to mount my winter tires and demount them for the summer! In addition, they have balance the tires! Regardless if I do buy the rim(s) or not, they still have to mount my winter tires for every winter and balance them, so why is it beneficial for me to get new rims? Can someone gives me a price calculation?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,682,526 times
Using your figures, $20 to mount and balance each tire you will spend $80, to put 4 tires on steel wheels this winter. That is all you will spend until you need new tires. The wheels should be good for the life of the car. L9onger if you buy the same make and model nest time. Your summer tires are already mounted. Winter tires stay mounted. Tires are balanced with the wheel. No need to repeat the process once mounted and balanced. If you take the winter tires off the wheel every year it would cost $160 every year. $80 to dismount summer tires and mount winter tires in the fall than another $80 to dismount the winter tires and mount the summer tires in the spring. Over the 3 year life of tires that would be $480 just to dismount and mount tires. That $480 you would spend minus the $80 it would cost ot do it once would result in a $400 savings over the 3 year life of your tires. I've spent some time in MN in the winter your winter tires may be on half the year. If you use one set of tires in the winter and another set in the summer they may last much longer than 3 years. M3Mitch has a good idea with the used wheels. Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
So, the tire dealer have to mount my winter tires and demount them for the summer! In addition, they have balance the tires! Regardless if I do buy the rim(s) or not, they still have to mount my winter tires for every winter and balance them, so why is it beneficial for me to get new rims? Can someone gives me a price calculation?
No, they mount and balance each set once. Why the hell would you take tires off the rims then store both tire and rims for the season, just to have them remounted when you need them.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 AM

9,446 posts, read 11,201,706 times
^^ Maybe he means what the dealer charges to put the car on the lift and swap out the winter for summer tire/wheel arrangement.

Solution: Get a floor jack for 30 bucks, learn to do it yourself.
And buy a torque wrench, and find out that the dealer is not torquing your wheels correctly.

If you want something done right, (and you can) do it yourself. It's good trainin'.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Well, someone told me to get used rims when I get my winter tires because it will save me money, but I don't know why it will! Can someone explain please?

Well, someone told me to get used rims when I get my winter tires because it will save me money, but I don't know why it will! Mentioning that I only need to get one steel rim replaced because one of my rims is damaged! Can someone explain please?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Well, someone told me to get used rims when I get my winter tires because it will save me money, but I don't know why it will! Can someone explain please?
Several people have already tried, myself included. If you haven't got it yet, you probably will never understand, so get on with life and do what you want.

Quote:
Well, someone told me to get used rims when I get my winter tires because it will save me money, but I don't know why it will! Mentioning that I only need to get one steel rim replaced because one of my rims is damaged! Can someone explain please?
Nope, because you make no sense with this part. If you mean you are only buying ONE rim, then it is pointless. You buy all 4 so you have two complete sets of rims and tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive