Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:26 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times

Advertisements

I drove an HHR LT for about 5 or 6 days as a rental car. Much better than a PT cruiser, a lot of headroom for tall people, pretty comfortable ride. Good gas mileage, I averaged about 31 mpg on mostly secondary highways and freeways.

Renting a car of the model you are planning to buy is a great way to try it out. Gives a much better feel for the car than a short test drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
I used to sell Chevy's. The HHR is one of the best auto deals out there, assuming you can get past the styling. It's got tons of room, decent power, good gas mileage, and it's inexpensive.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:37 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,325 times
get the HHR SS

Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I believe it's built on the Cobalt/G5 platform.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
The HHR was designed by the same man who designed the PT Cruiser. It was built upon the Cobalt platform. Some small delivery companies are buying the panel wagon version of the HHR which makes good financial sense since it is cheap to purchase, has no rear side doors or windows (product security), and has a good amount of storage space for small delivery companies. It comes in different taste from cheap grocery getter to high performance SS and a model in between. I personally don't like the colors but I do like the utility for the price. It has much more functional space than the PT Cruiser ever had. Do your research on what's available, decide what you want, and get what you want. I recommend you look for a program or one year old used model to get the best value. Price depreciation is a problem when buying new but buying one year old or program gives you a nearly new car with factory warranty. That's what I did with my 03 Malibu.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,647 times
My mom has a 2006 HHR LT and she loves it. It's a great little car,and it's fun to drive. She's had zero problems so far.

My wife and I just picked up a 2008 HHR LS (base model) with 19k miles on it for $10,800. I thought that was a pretty decent price myself. It's just a stripped down model,but it does have quite a bit of nice standard equipment. It's been fun so far,and it averaged almost 34 mpg in mixed driving when we brought it home.

It has a "bump" in the front end that I'm going to have to have seen about though. It didn't do it until we got home with it. From reading the internet,it's a common problem that can be fixed easily. Elsewise, the thing is a ton of fun. I can tell I'm going to have to watch myself or I will be getting a ticket.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
If I felt like getting another so-called "extra car", I'd consider the turbo'ed model for basic utility and fun.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
I also rented an HHR for about 5 days while in Vegas last April. For around town and for long trips (including an all-day excursion to Death Valley), I thought it performed well.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
No.

I don't see how anyone would purchase an item from a company while their boss is up in DC begging for our money so he won't have to shut down. What consumer confidence does this inspire?

Also, considering the general resale value, it'll depreciate several thousand bucks more than an import when they hand you the keys.

If you accept those two conditions, then yeah, I'm sure it's a fine, functional Chevy.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
I wouldn't buy the HHR. Cramped, hard to get in and out of. I'm 6'2, 265 and yes, have owned 2 PT Cruisers...both great cars for what they are. Much more usable space than the HHR(ptimitatation). I have to move the seat forward in my PT to reach the pedals comfortably. The HHR required me to move the seat all the way back and lean it at a absurd angle to clear the headliner.
HOWEVER>>>the HHR does get better mileage than the PT and may last longer without major maintenance. PT's with automatics struggle to get a consistent 21-23 in town, 25 on the highway, on average. Manual PT's can achieve 25-27 town, 30+hiway. The HHR apparently gets 30 consistently, even in town, with a automatic.
And yes, I've owned the PT GT with 220 horse and auto, plus a "naturally aspirated" PT with manual trans.
The PT also seems to have timing belt, water pump and other problems at mileage of less than 100,000...again...on average. Cost to repair the water pump or belt breaks $500, up to over a grand.
I'd still buy another PT, enjoy the style, and it's not for everybody. But a HHR? just can't fit in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive