Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, thats cool that youre a pilot, kudos! Secondly, my sense is not "warped", its called an opinion. I just find it odd that a pilot who flies small, agile planes drives a big ol SUV, thats all. It wasnt intended to be an insult, so dont take it that way. Frick!
The Malibu is not a "small" plane. It is a 6 place aircraft - turbo charged. Service ceiling of 25,000 with a cruise speed of over 200 knots with a top speed of over 230 kts.

I like comfort -

It's also difficult to pull a 7,000 lb + trailer with a "small" suv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,556,528 times
Quote:
Did you miss where I mentioned that theyre not fun UNLESS YOURE ON AN OFF-ROAD EXCURSION?

Anyways, on the road (where they are driven 99.9% of the time), SUVs are turds. Boring, slow, bad handling turds. And FYI, I used to own a 91 Toyota pickup with a 4" Explorer Pro Comp suspension lift, Rancho shocks, 33X12.5" BFG Mud Terrains. I spent PLENTY of time off-road, so I know how much fun it could be. The problem was that after I was done off-roading, I had to get back on the main roads where the truck was about as much fun as getting a colonoscopy. And I do agree that Samurais are incredible off-road, as long as they have an engine swap. There are a few that I saw at our local off-road park (Cliffs Insane Terrain), and they were phenomonal. One had a Chevy V8 and one had a Ford V8, both were equally impressive, especially on the steep inclines and narrow passages, thanks to their tiny wheelbases and tiny width.
I didn't miss the comment about the "off-road" excursion, but I wanted to say something about it anyway. Not all of our club trips had us off-road all the time. Sometimes it was fun just caravaning down the road, if for no other reason, than to watch other people's expressions when they saw 20 Samurais in procession. That was always a kick for us.

Most of our club had some sort of engine modification (headers, cams, exhaust, carbs, etc.), but not many actually had swapped engines. The little 1.3 worked pretty well off-road, but didn't have the power for high speed highway runs.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I didn't miss the comment about the "off-road" excursion, but I wanted to say something about it anyway. Not all of our club trips had us off-road all the time. Sometimes it was fun just caravaning down the road, if for no other reason, than to watch other people's expressions when they saw 20 Samurais in procession. That was always a kick for us.

Most of our club had some sort of engine modification (headers, cams, exhaust, carbs, etc.), but not many actually had swapped engines. The little 1.3 worked pretty well off-road, but didn't have the power for high speed highway runs.
That 1.3L is one of the weakest engines ever devised. lol My buddy had one as a winter vehicle and he couldnt ever get that thing over 60 mph. lol

Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,556,528 times
Quote:
That 1.3L is one of the weakest engines ever devised. lol My buddy had one as a winter vehicle and he couldnt ever get that thing over 60 mph. lol
That's why everyone modified them. Some people did swap them out, but most folks just changed the carburetor, cam, and/or exhaust. Most of my friends also added larger tires, so they regeared the differentials to compensate. These vehicles were still underpowered on the highway, but, as I said earlier, they did work pretty well off-road, which is what most everyone in my club used them for.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:27 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
If you really want a SUV there are some great deals right now that will pay for alot of gas.I know friends who have to have trucks for their work yhave really gotten great deals also.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you really want a SUV there are some great deals right now that will pay for alot of gas.I know friends who have to have trucks for their work yhave really gotten great deals also.
The Chevy TrailBlazer is is leaving by the end of this year; which may bode well for the Hummer H3-----------it is based on the Chevrolet Colorado platform

Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
I would look at how long you plan to keep the H3. These depreciate much faster than a normal sedan and you may owe more than its worth if you only plan to keep it a few years. There is a reason as to why its so cheap.. the market is switching from SUVs to more fuel efficient vehicles. Also, GM is trying to sell Hummer, I would not know how this would impact the brand for dealer servicing.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,248,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I know.

If you are just gonna yell at me about Gas, i don't want to hear it

Basically, right now, GM is offering incentives and employee discount bringing an H3 to about 23K!

I know it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but, that is an incredible deal, and would help me get out from under my Saturn Ion.

Anyone here have one? Pros and cons?
Ugliest. Car. Ever.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,507,724 times
I own a Toyota Tundra 4WD that can get 19-20 on the highway [5.7liter V8}, when driven conservatively. Only reason I got it is (1) I telecommute so it is not a daily driver and (2) I am on a volunteer search and rescue team and we need a few vehicles that can haul a trailer and boat. Need 4WD for deploying a boat in rampless conditions. I cringe every time I go to the gas station [average of combined mileage is around 17. But I can haul dogs in the back and a whole search crew in the cab and go just about anywhere]

Would I have bought the truck just to own. NO WAY! It is not a practical everyday vehicle. Even for a homeonwer you can get a smaller vehicle and a small utility trailer if you need to haul stuff. Part of the decision for me was that it really does every bit as well as the small trucks [V6] on the highway and insurance is lower for a full size than a sporty small truck.

If we could get the efficient common rail 1.9L diesels thy are running in the rest of the world [and that American companies even build] I would have been there in a heartbeat - since my explore is sitting in 250K, and the 4WD perfomrance is now spotty, I felt I could not wait it out.

No, I don't see anything practical about the hummer. I did not pay that much more for my Tundra that that [well 28K at 1.9%]

On a side, the perfomance is pretty incredible when you do need to accelarate though.........and you can fit a queen size mattress in the back.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 AM

142 posts, read 564,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
No, I don't see anything practical about the hummer. I did not pay that much more for my Tundra that that [well 28K at 1.9%]
You actually paid quite less for yours than I paid for my H3.....you paid a good 13K less!

And as for the OP and the 23K pricing, I wonder if he ever checked it out. It's hard for me to believe that they're going for 23K when they start out at the low 30's. If they are selling them at the 23K price, I'm assuming they are stripped and come with nothing at all! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive