Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:40 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Oct. 3 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., the largest U.S. automaker, said it will close an Ohio sport-utility plant two years earlier than planned because of the slowdown in U.S. sales and end production of the facility's three models.

The factory, in Moraine, will shut down Dec. 23, spokesman Tony Sapienza said today.

Bloomberg.com: U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Oct. 3 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., the largest U.S. automaker, said it will close an Ohio sport-utility plant two years earlier than planned because of the slowdown in U.S. sales and end production of the facility's three models.

The factory, in Moraine, will shut down Dec. 23, spokesman Tony Sapienza said today.

Bloomberg.com: U.S.
I am surprised that the TrailBlazer and its platform mates lasted this long.

GM (and almost everyone else) needs to start ditching redundant platforms---------which it is now doing.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Update - Hoping a Chinese auto parts manufacturer moves into 1.4 million of the square feet at the plan

Dayton Daily News: Announcement planned in Columbus Friday on Moraine plant Announcement planned in Columbus Friday on Moraine plant | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 01-10-2014, 04:15 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Update - Hoping a Chinese auto parts manufacturer moves into 1.4 million of the square feet at the plan

Dayton Daily News: Announcement planned in Columbus Friday on Moraine plant Announcement planned in Columbus Friday on Moraine plant | www.daytondailynews.com
Yup, happens all the time in the auto biz. Just look what Tesla did, they purchased an old Toyota factory.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yup, happens all the time in the auto biz. Just look what Tesla did, they purchased an old Toyota factory.
Telsa purchased no such thing. Toyota still owns the property. Along with a 50 million investment in Tesla, Akio Toyoda himself has given Tesla full use of the whole facility until Toyota sees a use fit for it.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Telsa purchased no such thing. Toyota still owns the property. Along with a 50 million investment in Tesla, Akio Toyoda himself has given Tesla full use of the whole facility until Toyota sees a use fit for it.

Tesla Motors Announces Factory in Northern California | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Quote:
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Tesla Motors has purchased the former NUMMI factory in Fremont, California, where it will build the Model S sedan and future Tesla vehicles. As recently as April of 2010, the NUMMI factory was used by Toyota to produce the Corolla and Tacoma vehicles using the industry-leading Toyota production system. It is one of the largest, most advanced and cleanest automotive production plants in the world.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM

Those reports/wording are erroneous. In this day in age of internet "reporting" theres plenty of sloppy "work". All one has to do is look up California real estate transactions to see no transaction took place.
I was at the former NUMMI facility doing some work for Toyota this past summer and when you are on the property and sign your confidentiality contracts its no secret who still owns it and who is the free of charge lessee is.
I can see how easy it is to make the mistake though given the bad/incomplete reporting by SOME sources.

Tesla does own a small interest in SOME of the property, less than15%, but Toyota still owns almost all of it and is the one who has final say over its use.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Those reports/wording are erroneous. In this day in age of internet "reporting" theres plenty of sloppy "work". All one has to do is look up California real estate transactions to see no transaction took place.
I was at the former NUMMI facility doing some work for Toyota this past summer and when you are on the property and sign your confidentiality contracts its no secret who still owns it and who is the free of charge lessee is.
I can see how easy it is to make the mistake though given the bad/incomplete reporting by SOME sources.

Tesla does own a small interest in SOME of the property, less than15%, but Toyota still owns almost all of it and is the one who has final say over its use.
Link?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM

With the upcoming Warm Springs BART under construction, the area has “a lot of redevelopment potential,” Taylor said. NUMMI’s 380-acre property includes 170 of vacant land that could be used for more development. Musk said Tesla was purchasing only part of the land at the site.

http://m.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisc...65.html?r=full

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Link?
To my own personal experience working on the property? Or to one that shows that Tesla is not the sole and whole owner of the NUMMI property? If your hand is broke and you need help I can help with basics at least..

New reports will prob claim anywhere from 5-55% purchased by Tesla but because of non disclosure agreements most will prob never know the real number. But with how involved Toyota still is in the property I bet its much more towards the smaller percentage. They certainly did not have others and I there this summer working on the projects we were because of their NONinterest in their property and plans for it. Toyoda knows just how valuable that land is and will continue to be, there's no way he's going to give up control of the bulk of it.

Last edited by LRPct; 01-10-2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
With the upcoming Warm Springs BART under construction, the area has “a lot of redevelopment potential,” Taylor said. NUMMI’s 380-acre property includes 170 of vacant land that could be used for more development. Musk said Tesla was purchasing only part of the land at the site.

Tesla to buy NUMMI plant, build cars with Toyota - San Francisco Business Times

To my own personal experience working on the property? Or to one that shows that Tesla is not the sole and whole owner of the NUMMI property? If your hand is broke and you need help I can help with basics at least..
I believe they purchased a portion of the property because they simply have no current need for the manufacturing potential of the entire NUMMI facility. I’m not certain how the arrangement is laid out as it may simply be a lease rather than purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive