Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times

Advertisements

Evidently it's worth the hassle to the thieves who are stealing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 AM

575 posts, read 3,121,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
HobokenGuy,
I know what you mean about the rain. It seems as though alot of new cars have the halogen projecters. They almost look like h.i.d's but if your real smart you can tell that they're not. The only complaint I have with mine is that I get people flashing me every now and then.
I think they may be flashing you because installing HIDs within a headlight assembly that wasn't designed for them will give them a different light pattern than what they should be, so it could be blinding to oncoming drivers.

True HID's won't have that large glow like in your first picture and will also have very defined cut off points, say if you park in front of a wall and turn them on.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 AM

262 posts, read 1,040,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Evidently it's worth the hassle to the thieves who are stealing them.
I would venture to say the thieves are only targeting certain expensive oem assemblies, since the projectors are often the most expensive piece, and some are nicer than others. I would have paid to see someone try to steal the headlights from my old 96 WS6 TA. I believe you first would have to break into the car, then pop the hood, then either screw the headlights up by hand (that would take wayyy too long), or jump the electric motors, then undo the 8 screws holding each one in place.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM

48 posts, read 140,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
I think they may be flashing you because installing HIDs within a headlight assembly that wasn't designed for them will give them a different light pattern than what they should be, so it could be blinding to oncoming drivers.

True HID's won't have that large glow like in your first picture and will also have very defined cut off points, say if you park in front of a wall and turn them on.
x2 On point.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:57 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,708,027 times
I got 55w in both cars. The daily got 5k and the undaily got 4300...perfect. Now Im driving a rental with halogens...boo!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM

681 posts, read 2,902,700 times
If folks are "flashing" your low beams they're probably mis-aimed, dude. Try realigning them properly with a normal load on/in your ride. Owe you a "cuppa" if that doesn't fix it.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
Is that a Tempo or a Sentra in your pics?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times
Yeah, HIDs are only as good as the reflectors you are putting them in.

You really need to make sure that you have it set up right and aimed right.

For what it is worth 8000k wasn't the best choice if you are looking for brightness.

4300k is the brightest of the HIDs. Any higher temp is just getting more blue or purple. And you are losing light in the process.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
What is the issue with the rain? I haven't heard of that.

My ZZR600 had unbelievable headlights. Lo beam was far brighter than hi beam on my Civic Si. Hi beam on the bike threw a bright swath of light as far as I needed it on unlit roads late at night. They were conventional lightbulbs but just very effective. The 9R and the 12R also had great lights.

I had people flashing their brights at me all the time (when I was in lo). Sometimes I'd reciprocate by flashing my hi beams.
HID's outperform traditional halogens in dry weather, but I don't know why I hate them in the rain. It always seemed that my lights were not illuminating the road well enough when the rain started.

A friend of mine has an Escalade with factory HID's, and it's the same issue. My Dad has then in his Lexus and he can't notice a difference, and my sister has them in her Navigator and says she hates them in the rain as well.

Maybe we just need to go get our eyes checked.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,546,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Is that a Tempo or a Sentra in your pics?

It's a Nissan Maxima.

A ford tempo? Are you serious? Oh lord. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive