Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
GMAC's new lending restrictions called 'scary'

Donna Harris & Amy Wilson
Automotive News
UPDATED: 10/14/08 4:07 p.m. EDT

DETROIT -- GMAC Financial Services said yesterday that it will only lend money to prime borrowers with credit scores of more than 700.
The restriction would rule out one out of four new car loans, according to one recent report.
Dealers say they may have trouble finding alternative lenders if they funnel all their best contracts to GMAC.

"This is scary," said Jerry Seiner, president of Jerry Seiner Dealerships in Salt Lake City. "Who is going to step in and buy these contracts?"
Seiner says other auto lenders want dealers to send them a mix of contracts --including the most creditworthy. "Banks don't want to buy the contracts unless you send them the borrowers with 700 scores and above," he says.
In a statement, GMAC officials attributed the new policy to "the lack of stability in the global capital and credit markets."

For the first seven months of 2008, prime customers with scores exceeding 700 represented 74.3 percent of the U.S. new auto loan market, according to information services company Experian Automotive. A year ago, prime borrowers made up 71.1 percent of the new auto loan market.
And the move could have a greater impact on the used car market. According to another Experian report, 56.5 percent of all vehicle loans qualified as prime during the second quarter of 2008. That's compared with 62.2 percent during the second quarter of 2007. In this study, Experian defined prime as a credit score of 680 or higher.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...t=emailblast02

Wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Wow, what? What's the point of credit ratings if everyone can get a loan regardless of their being responsible or not?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wow, what? What's the point of credit ratings if everyone can get a loan regardless of their being responsible or not?
Because your credit rating will determine the interest rate..the higher your rating the more bargaining power you have for lower rates

There are so many stupid things that ding your fico score..like closing out a credit card by the consumer....the whole fico score thing is way to rigid in the way it scores people

Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
The whole "charging higher rates" for lower FICO scores was a stupid idea. If they can't keep their credit rating good, what makes you think they can consistently pay a higher price for what they buy?
It's all a part of the same system that is breaking down in front of us. In this case, sub-prime car loan.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:47 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
I should've posted this on the financial board...

Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
This will make more people realize that if you can't pay cash for the vehicle, you can't afford it.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
It's not difficult to have a 700+ credit score.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 AM

78,406 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This will make more people realize that if you can't pay cash for the vehicle, you can't afford it.
Sage advice. Rep for you and Susushi!

I work in a field where I see statistics for how long of loans and at what rates people are buying these cars....it was insane. 84months @>12%?

I always was a little jealous but shook my head when I would see people that likely made less than 1/2 what I did driving a car that cost twice as much. There has to be a term for people that have higher car payments than rents or house payments.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Wow...
Not WOW, Little elmer . . . more like THANK GOODNESS!

This entire country would be much better off if those unscrupulous and unethical (read: DISHONEST AND GREEDY) lenders had only adhered to that minimum requirement years ago.

As others have posted . . . why have a Credit Score System?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I always was a little jealous but shook my head when I would see people that likely made less than 1/2 what I did driving a car that cost twice as much. There has to be a term for people that have higher car payments than rents or house payments.
HA! I make a decent buck for my age and I drive nice, used cars... cars that I can pay for all up front... 3 of them now! But your right, I see others my age with brand new cars, or cars all decked out and I know they either had someone buy it for them or they have 10 years of payments. I never really understood why people purchase things far beyond their means... I can only see mortgages and school loans as acceptable debts, assuming they're not a business owner... I don't think I will ever buy a new car unless I can pay for it all at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive