Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times

Advertisements

Hey Yall,

I am hoping to get answers on here, because I know that being a single female, every mechanic is going to try to screw me over, one way or another....and i have a feeling that my problem is very minor, so I would hate to be taken to the cleaners.

I have 2000 Ford F150 4x4 (please, no Ford jokes, this is the truck I had bought my husband, now exhusband and I hate it..and had to sell the Dodge DIESEL dually that i drove cuz I owed more on that)

When I am driving, I hear a very soft click-click and see the lights where the odometer is go on and off very quickly, just for a brief moment. Nothing changes with engine power etc.

About 6 weeks ago, the same thing happened but even worse-all my headlights would go off briefly as I was driving (including everything on the panel). And then one day, my truck wouldnt start. I had a friend who looked at it, and said it must be the alternator, so he took it out, took it to AutoZone, sure enough, their diagnostics said it was DEAD. So my friend installed the new alternator that I bought. Truck started, no further problems.....until about 3 weeks ago, the soft click click and the lights on the dash flickering on and off....so i brought it to AutoZone to check if maybe my brand new alternator or brand new battery were the culprit-they said nope. After that, I had no problems, until today, and once again, it's doing that soft click-click and everything on the dashboard flickering on and off occasionally. Don't know if it would be doing the headlights off stuff too cuz I aint driven in the dark the past few days.

What do you think it could be? A spark plug or something?
What would you do?

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-18-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Sounds like you have something loose around the battery, clean all your terminals( get rid of the white stuff, just mix some backing soda and water, and clean all the connections and wear the gloves you have for washing dishes, then throw them away) make sure your connections are tight....

ps Blonde Bimbo's with pickup trucks, Bassman's favorite........

Old 10-18-2008, 10:25 PM

when i got the new battery put in, the cable thangs/connections were totally corroded and they cleaned em up. also the clamp thangs were not giving a good connection or sumpin', so the mechanic cut the cords and put some new heavy duty clamp thangs on there. so i know i have new clamps and the terminals should be clean but i will go check again. i heard coke will work too, aint that so?
thanks for answering!
p.s. lots of blonde bimbos drivin trucks here, you're in the wrong state, bassman!
and this blonde bimbo dont wash dishes-my dishwasher does-yes even out here in the sticks in Texas we have dishwashers and plumbing ha ha....but i do have gloves-i always have a pair for pickin' up roadkill-i collect varmint skulls to decorate the outhouse walls with-looks pretty dang cool if i say so myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Sounds like you have something loose around the battery, clean all your terminals( get rid of the white stuff, just mix some backing soda and water, and clean all the connections and wear the gloves you have for washing dishes, then throw them away) make sure your connections are tight....

ps Blonde Bimbo's with pickup trucks, Bassman's favorite........

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-18-2008 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Well, you have somewhat narrowed down your own problem. Engine runs fine...dash lights flicker could be a loose connection under the dash...could be arcing on a wire connection (click, click sound). If the clicking is with the headlite switch on...could be the switch. Headlite switch controls the dash lites, head lites, tail lites, dome lite. A short like this can drain the battery. I'm a retired mechanic who bought a car that had a engine fire with repaired/taped wire which was okay for two yrs and all of a sudden started to drain the battery after not driving 4-5 days. I did replace the wire from the ignition key to the starter solenoid that helped a lot. Still keeps draining and I'm sure its in the wire harness that cannot be seen...changing it may be my last recourse. So much for my headache. Check under the dash as you don't want to have a under the dash fire. I had that happen to me in a old 65 1/2 ton Chevy PU I owned 30 yrs ago. Steve

Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
Sounds like the head light switch is on the way out.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
It isn't a sparkplug.
It may be the multi function switch.
The multi function switch is the headlight dimmer, turn signal, etc, switch. In other words, the lever controlled switch on the left side of the steering column.
I worked for a company that had a fleet of these vehicles.
We were always replacing the multifunction switches due to problems that you have described.
Replacing it is something you should leave to a qualified mechanic.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:17 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Some vehicles have circuit breakers on headlights. If you have a short in headlight wiring the breaker could be tripping and resetting. This would cause the blinking and clicking. Is blinking and clicking syncronized? How fast is it blinking & clicking?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 AM

the clicking was happening yesterday during broad daylight, when i did not have my headlights on. i could see the odometer lights go on and off quickly and heard the soft clicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Well, you have somewhat narrowed down your own problem. Engine runs fine...dash lights flicker could be a loose connection under the dash...could be arcing on a wire connection (click, click sound). If the clicking is with the headlite switch on...could be the switch. Headlite switch controls the dash lites, head lites, tail lites, dome lite. A short like this can drain the battery. I'm a retired mechanic who bought a car that had a engine fire with repaired/taped wire which was okay for two yrs and all of a sudden started to drain the battery after not driving 4-5 days. I did replace the wire from the ignition key to the starter solenoid that helped a lot. Still keeps draining and I'm sure its in the wire harness that cannot be seen...changing it may be my last recourse. So much for my headache. Check under the dash as you don't want to have a under the dash fire. I had that happen to me in a old 65 1/2 ton Chevy PU I owned 30 yrs ago. Steve

Old 10-19-2008, 08:30 AM

yes synchronized....kinda fast...like a "tick tock" rythym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Some vehicles have circuit breakers on headlights. If you have a short in headlight wiring the breaker could be tripping and resetting. This would cause the blinking and clicking. Is blinking and clicking syncronized? How fast is it blinking & clicking?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 AM

so i should go into the mechanic and tell them that i think its the headlight switch, multifunction switch or circuit breaker, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive