Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM

59 posts, read 298,170 times

Advertisements

What a bull**** day!

There was not enough power on my car battery this evening, so I took my jumpstarter box which I have used numerous times before without problems - except this time (since it was dark and I felt distracted) I managed to put the + caple on the - pole and vice versa.

Does this mean that I have short-circuited the whole piece of **** or just the battery, and what can I do about it myself? The starter will not even run now when I put the caples on the right poles, but the lights and radio works though.

I would like to hear from people who know about cars please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Check your fuses, then try to jumpstart the vehicle. I'd probably disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes just to let the ECU reset itself, in case it messed up the settings.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Check your fuses, then try to jumpstart the vehicle. I'd probably disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes just to let the ECU reset itself, in case it messed up the settings.
What is ECU? Its an older primitive car without computers in it. Do you think the fuses protect the starter from a shortcircuit in this case?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Ah, no ECU means you can't burn out the ECU (the car's "brain" so to speak). It's an easy thing to check the fuses. Do that first, then try to jumpstart the vehicle.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:50 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Number Five alive

Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Number Five alive
Props for the reference to an 80s cult classic.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:27 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
And there could be some main fuses that are under the hood in addition to the ones inside the car. I would trace the positive wire of the battery backwards. See if it leads to a big fues block.

Does anything in the car work?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 AM

So heres the deal. I took the battery out of my car and tried to charge it with a normal battery charger, but it doesnt seem willing to be charged. Then I found a spare battery in the basement that I have charged the night over, and have now placed it in the car. Lights, radio, and everything else works optimal when the ignition is on, but the starter wont do anything. My daddy came by and tried a trick with a screwdriver in the engine room, and then the starter made a sound, but still wouldnt start the engine.

Can anybody give a more exact diagnose based on this? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
So heres the deal. I took the battery out of my car and tried to charge it with a normal battery charger, but it doesnt seem willing to be charged. Then I found a spare battery in the basement that I have charged the night over, and have now placed it in the car. Lights, radio, and everything else works optimal when the ignition is on, but the starter wont do anything. My daddy came by and tried a trick with a screwdriver in the engine room, and then the starter made a sound, but still wouldnt start the engine.

Can anybody give a more exact diagnose based on this? Thanks in advance!
Sounds like the battery has enough juice to power accessories, but not enough to crank the car. Take the battery to Autozone (or comparable auto part store) and have it tested. Also, try jumping the car with another car.. one that will have plenty of amps to crank your car.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 15,718 times
Get in the zone...AutoZone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive