Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Not sure if you're aware, but there is more info on an MVR than just tickets.

Sorry I didn't break it down into simpler terms by saying "accidents on one's MVR is a direct representation of whether someone is skilled or stupid".

And regardless of how many accidents you've been in, just having that many tickets would lead one to believe that you drive frivolously fast. That, in and of itself, despite what you'd like to believe, is reckless driving.

Don't get me wrong, I speed here and there and have had a couple tickets, but 70?!? If that isn't reckless, I don't know what is.
It may be reckless, but I was "wreckless" during that time frame, so what does that say about your theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Quote:
Not sure if you're aware, but there is more info on an MVR than just tickets.

Sorry I didn't break it down into simpler terms by saying "accidents on one's MVR is a direct representation of whether someone is skilled or stupid".

And regardless of how many accidents you've been in, just having that many tickets would lead one to believe that you drive frivolously fast. That, in and of itself, despite what you'd like to believe, is reckless driving.

Don't get me wrong, I speed here and there and have had a couple tickets, but 70?!? If that isn't reckless, I don't know what is.
I have been pulled over about 70 times and got 15 tickets....

I driving spiritedly most of that time, and blatantly breaking laws. But I was not a threat to myself, others or property, hence so many warnings. But each time I was violationg one or several laws.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It may be reckless, but I was "wreckless" during that time frame, so what does that say about your theory?

LOL...It doesn't say anything about my theory other than you have no clue what it is in the first place.

I don't respect you any more for NOT getting into an accident so you can stop repeating it. I got it the first time.

At least you admitted having 70 tickets is a trait of being a reckless driver. That's a start.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
LOL...It doesn't say anything about my theory other than you have no clue what it is in the first place.

I don't respect you any more for NOT getting into an accident so you can stop repeating it. I got it the first time.

At least you admitted having 70 tickets is a trait of being a reckless driver. That's a start.

You said: "I'd feel safe arguing that a MVR is proper representation of whether the driver is skilled or stupid."

So...with my driving record...am I skilled, or stupid?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You said: "I'd feel safe arguing that a MVR is proper representation of whether the driver is skilled or stupid."

So...with my driving record...am I skilled, or stupid?

In my humble opinion you're a skilled driver because you've never been in an accident but you must take a tablespoon of stupid before driving because you should have learned where all the speed traps were after ticket #35.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
When did "accident free" start to mean "skilled". Doesn't it really just mean "lucky"?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
In my humble opinion you're a skilled driver because you've never been in an accident but you must take a tablespoon of stupid before driving because you should have learned where all the speed traps were after ticket #35.

Probably a little more than a tablespoon. I DID know where the usual traps were, but just didn't give much of a damn.

And, I didn't say I never had an accident. I just didn't have any during that time period.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When did "accident free" start to mean "skilled". Doesn't it really just mean "lucky"?

Yes, "luck" is a big part of it (though it's also often a part of having a wreck too), but what other criteria would you use?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Skilled drivers are constantly on edge when driving. They pay almost as much attention to what's going on beside or behind them as they do what's in front of them. They understand their limits and the limits of the vehicle they're driving, and they stay within those because they know that at any given moment, the unexpected can happen: a kid walks out in front of you, someone busts an oncoming left turn in front of you, who knows?

Stupid drivers are always at the upper limit of their or their cars' abilities. They accelerate fast, they drive close, they stop short. They whip their car from lane to lane and think that if they managed to do it, there was no danger involved. As soon as something happens that they didn't intend, they have next to no margin to correct. They don't know their car's limits or capabilities, or have an unrealistic impression of them - whether they're in a Corolla or a Carerra, a Hyundai or an Audi, a coupe or an SUV, FWD or RWD, dry or wet - makes no difference at all. When that kid steps out in front of them or an equally-stupid driver busts a left into oncoming traffic... they'll become quite well-acquainted that what one may think of as "skill" has absolutely no effect on the physics of braking.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 09-08-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Case in point, using myself as an example:

This morning, on the way to the store, the light turned green and, as I always do, I took half a second to glance at the cross traffic. Sure enough, here came a lady in a pickup who was not going to stop for her red light. She wasn't speeding, not hot-dogging, not "running" the light, she just didn't notice it had changed until it was too late to stop.

Skilled driver: Is aware and acts accordingly.

Unskilled driver: Jack-rabbits the green light and gets T-boned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive