Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Next, they'll "phase out" cooking on a stove. Why would anybody want to cook on a stove, when you can buy a pre-made meal and put it in the microwave.

I enjoy eating pre-packaged food reheated in a microwave, so that is all the argument I need to sustain the premise that nobody else ought to have the option of buying ingredients and preparing them on a stove. Case closed.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-18-2015 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default no more stick shift!?

I've owned more sticks than autos over the years. For a long time, I preferred the stick shift. But recently, autos have been so vastly improved that my daily driver is an auto and I have to admit that I don't really miss all the shifting and clutch work after all.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:56 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
I love wagons, diesels, and manuals. I thought I would test drive a new BMW 328 diesel wagon with a very nice 8 speed auto.

It turns out I still love diesels, wagons, AND manuals. I can't imagine paying that much and not getting exactly what I want.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I love wagons, diesels, and manuals. I thought I would test drive a new BMW 328 diesel wagon with a very nice 8 speed auto.

It turns out I still love diesels, wagons, AND manuals. I can't imagine paying that much and not getting exactly what I want.
Was it brown?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Surprised this thread lasted till 2015..

I honestly don't care if manuals do disappear in the future, as I've already purchased what took me 7 years to find.. a specific 6-speed performance car I have zero desire to replace with anything else for at least the next 3-4 decades, unless a McLaren F1 comes along for an affordable price (lol), which was also only sold as a manual.

I have no problem with a daily driver being an auto, but my garage queen performance car that gets ~2k miles per year will last me till I'm old and gray.
Nice attitude -- "I got mine, eff the rest of you." All while apparently giving no thought to why it took him 7 years to find what he was looking for.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
In my opinion (as a sports car owner) there is only one reason (for me) to own a manual transmission, and that is drifting. However, there is a build I'm currently following by a champion drifter that is using a paddle shifted semi-auto 370z. Can't wait to see what and why he is doing it, but I'm sure he knows way more than I do about the drifting scene.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:26 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davida3606 View Post
Stick shifts are stupid and unnecessary!
I was a Truck Driver in the Army and civilian world. About 99% of all military vehicles in the US are automatic. I never had to waste my time driving a stick. Besides, try driving through Iraq and having to shift gears, while, at the same time, you have to concentrate on looking out for the enemy, IEDs, Snipers, the vehicles in front of you and other things. On top of that, you're also being shot at by the enemy. So why give yourself something like a stick shift to make things more difficult? That makes no sense to me at all!
In the civilian world, I also drove an automatic transmission tractor trailer. I refuse to drive a stick shift ever again! I hate them that much!
I don't even know why they are still making stick shifts at all now. They've had the technology to make automatic transmissions since the early 1950s. They are slowly but surely phasing stick shift out of existence! That's good news for me. GM, for example, only makes a few models of new cars that have the option of stick shift. Most GM and other American cars only come with automatic or sometimes automated. A few come with an "aoto-stick" option. In those, you flick a switch and choose whether you want to drive it as an automatic or stick.
Most people today (about 80%) of people 19 years old and under, in the US, don't even know how to drive a stick shift anyway! Most of them don't even want to learn how either! What's the point? It's hard to learn and they are starting to get rid of them anyway.
I am willing to bet that within the next ten years or so, they won't even be making them anymore at all! The only places you'll see them is where they belong: In the junk yard or the natural History museum!
As for stick shifts getting better gas mileage, that may be true in most, but not all cars today. But, with the new technology, automatic transmissions are getting much better mileage now. Some of them get better mileage than the same vehicle in a stick shift model.
Pretty soon, all automatic vehicles will get much better mileage than any stick shift ever made.
I've done some research and found that, pretty soon, several things in this world are going to disappear, just like pay phones, one of them is the clutch pedal (and gear shifter ) in cars!
It also won't be long before everything we see in cars now will be gone to. This includes: The gas pedal, brakes, steering wheel, etc.! They will all be like the new Google car. In this, you type your destination into a computer, sit back and enjoy the ride. The car does all the work! It doesn't even have a steering wheel, gas pedal or anything else! The car doesn't need it.
Another idea they've come up with years ago is a car with an engine similar in concept to a jet plane. IDK how exactly it would work, but, jets and airplanes don't use a transmission like the use in a car (they probably don't have any kind of transmission at all). In other words, you cannot manually shift an airplane.
Twenty years or so from now, our kids and grandkids will be laughing at us when they go to an antique car show and look at a car from 2014. They will probably laugh and say, "Mom, what are those things I see inside this car?"
She will have to explain, "This was called a gear shifter, gas pedal, brakes and a steering wheel." Then, under the hood, she will point out, "This is an engine that ran on something called gasoline."
She'll also have to explain what the tires are for, because, by then, cars will be flying! They are already testing flying cars! Better yet, we may just perfect teleportation, like they use in Sifi movies.
Mark my word, stick shifts WILL be gone forever soon!
I refuse to drive a stick shift ever again! I hate them that much!
I don't even know why they are still making stick shifts at all now. They've had the technology to make automatic transmissions since the early 1950s. They are slowly but surely phasing stick shift out of existence! That's good news for me. GM, for example, only makes a few models of new cars that have the option of stick shift. Most GM and other American cars only come with automatic or sometimes automated. A few come with an "aoto-stick" option. In those, you flick a switch and choose whether you want to drive it as an automatic or stick.
Most people today (about 80%) of people 19 years old and under, in the US, don't even know how to drive a stick shift anyway! Most of them don't even want to learn how either! What's the point? It's hard to learn and they are starting to get rid of them anyway.
I am willing to bet that within the next ten years or so, they won't even be making them anymore at all! The only places you'll see them is where they belong: In the junk yard or the natural History museum!
As for stick shifts getting better gas mileage, that may be true in most, but not all cars today. But, with the new technology, automatic transmissions are getting much better mileage now. Some of them get better mileage than the same vehicle in a stick shift model.
Pretty soon, all automatic vehicles will get much better mileage than any stick shift ever made.
I've done some research and found that, pretty soon, several things in this world are going to disappear, just like pay phones, one of them is the clutch pedal (and gear shifter ) in cars!
It also won't be long before everything we see in cars now will be gone to. This includes: The gas pedal, brakes, steering wheel, etc.! They will all be like the new Google car. In this, you type your destination into a computer, sit back and enjoy the ride. The car does all the work! It doesn't even have a steering wheel, gas pedal or anything else! The car doesn't need it.
Another idea they've come up with years ago is a car with an engine similar in concept to a jet plane. IDK how exactly it would work, but, jets and airplanes don't use a transmission like the use in a car (they probably don't have any kind of transmission at all). In other words, you cannot manually shift an airplane.
Twenty years or so from now, our kids and grandkids will be laughing at us when they go to an antique car show and look at a car from 2014. They will probably laugh and say, "Mom, what are those things I see inside this car?"
She will have to explain, "This was called a gear shifter, gas pedal, brakes and a steering wheel." Then, under the hood, she will point out, "This is an engine that ran on something called gasoline."
She'll also have to explain what the tires are for, because, by then, cars will be flying! They are already testing flying cars! Better yet, we may just perfect teleportation, like they use in Sifi movies.
Mark my word, stick shifts WILL be gone forever soon!
Wow! 7 years on this post, and we are still here driving stick shifts. 2007 I purchased a new vehicle, bought a stick. A few months ago I purchased a new car, yep another stick. In the 90's I bought 2 5.0 mustangs, one a GT and one an LX. Yep both sticks. sticks not going away.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
What I personally hate is that Manuals are saved only for base models, like it's a "value" feature. People don't buy a $20k car and then not spend an extra 1k for an Auto just to save that 1k.

Quite the opposite. People buy a Manual because they want a manual. It's frustrating. For example, I really liked the Mazda CX-5. But only the base model comes with it. But I wanted leather and a sun roof too. Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive