Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times

Advertisements

It coud always be worse McGowdog. If I remember correctly you have to pull the cab off of Ford's V10 trucks to change all the plugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Need Detailed Instructions for V-10 Spark Plug Change - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

You take the COP (Coil On Plug) off, not the CAB (as in where the driver sits) off...

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Looked at the pictures of the bad spk plug hole.

A stainless steel Heli coil would be the repair needed.

The head is out on the bench and easy to tap and repair.

I have tapped and installed a helicoil in many VW engines while the head was still on the engine in the car.

Secret is to have the cyl near the top of the compresion stroke with the valves closed or the exhaust valve open to blow out the shavings with a air nozzle.

Found that Champion plugs were the worse for aluminum heads as they would fuse to the head and when trying to remove would strip the threads in the process. They had a poor heat range.

Found that NGK worked better then Bosch in VW engine since they had a wider heat range.

Steve

Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Need Detailed Instructions for V-10 Spark Plug Change - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

You take the COP (Coil On Plug) off, not the CAB (as in where the driver sits) off...
For some reason I thought you had to do that on the V-10s. Maybe I was just thinking of the horror stories with their diesels (like having to pull the cab off to replace a fuel pump).

Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Another tip when changing spark plugs with coil-on-plug:
replace the coil boots at the same time. A lot of times they're the cause of a misfire and not the plug itself. They run about $4.00 each, but may save a lot of headache later. And don't forget the di-electric grease.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
For some reason I thought you had to do that on the V-10s. Maybe I was just thinking of the horror stories with their diesels (like having to pull the cab off to replace a fuel pump).
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
changing your cars sparkplugs-ford-cab-removal.jpg  

Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
you may be thinking of the 6.0L baby diesels that blow headgaskets left and right. a guy i know is a Ford diesel tech and he repairs these all day long. according to him, you don't HAVE to take the cab off, but it makes it a helluva lot easier.

Mike

Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMlover View Post
I would like to know how hard it is to replace a cars sparkplugs. I drive a Chevy Prizm and recently had it in the shop for an oil change. While there the mechanic reviewed my maintenance schedule and said the car will be due for this soon. I asked how much they charge and he told me $170. I thought this sounded excessive and called around but all the quotes I got were in the same ballpark. The only stuff i have done in the past myself is changing the air filter, windshield wipers, flat tires. The car is a 2001. Any help would be appreciated.
$170 seems pretty high for 4 $5 each spark plugs. It's a 4-cylinder car. It's easy. Get your plug wrench, do the job yourself, save a bunch of money and feel good about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive