U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 PM

484 posts, read 2,140,423 times

Advertisements

so iver never driven stick before, but for my new job as a car wash attendant at a BMW dealership
there are tons of opportunities to drive the cars, but i let my coworkers do it because i have no idea
one of the coworkers told me its the best to learn at work as u can **** the car up and no one will really care.

i prob wont be shifting to 4th gear at all, not evne 3 maybe 2 at most because of the distance we drive to park the cars in the lot after detailing.

if someone could give me some pointers on starting the car that would be cool, as more of a type of driving for 5-15mph.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,428,176 times
Push clutch in, and hold brake while starting the car.
Put the car in 1st gear (typically top left position)
Slowly release clutch while letting off the brake to get going.
Some cars need a little gas while you are letting off the clutch, especially if you are starting up a hill.

You shouldn't need to shift, but if you do, you let off the gas while pushing the clutch, shift gears, and start pressing the gas again as you let off the clutch.

Always remember that you need to push in the clutch and brake when you stop.
This is easy to forget in an emergency.

It just takes practice. If possible, get a friend to let you practice in their car in an empty parking lot.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM

7,333 posts, read 10,486,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Slowly release clutch while letting off the brake to get going.
Here I'd add to let the car start moving first before taking your foot completely off the clutch. When I first started driving a stick I was told to slowly release the clutch also but the car kept cutting off on me until I was told to allow the car to move first before taking my foot off the clutch completely. This little adjustment helped.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,082,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
one of the coworkers told me its the best to learn at work as u can **** the car up and no one will really care.
Your co-worker is an irresponsible moron. You both need to treat other people's property with respect because you're not at work to learn how to drive someone else's car. If I found out that you were teaching yourself to drive a manual transmission with my BMW, you'd quickly find yourself unemployed.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 74,169,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Here I'd add to let the car start moving first before taking your foot completely off the clutch. When I first started driving a stick I was told to slowly release the clutch also but the car kept cutting off on me until I was told to allow the car to move first before taking my foot off the clutch completely. This little adjustment helped.
Sounds like you werent giving it any gas while releasing the clutch. Noone can tell you over the internet how to drive stick. You need to find a crappy trade-in on the lot and practice with it over and over and over again.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sounds like you werent giving it any gas while releasing the clutch. Noone can tell you over the internet how to drive stick. You need to find a crappy trade-in on the lot and practice with it over and over and over again.
You can't be serious??

If he wants to learn to drive a stick, he needs to get PERMISSION from someone or use a vehicle of his own. I'm sure that you'd be thrilled if you bought a car from a dealer only to find that the clutch was shot because someone else thought it was ok to use your future car as a learning tool. Unreal.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 AM

56 posts, read 184,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Also depending on the type of engine the car has, anything with a good amount of low end torque can typically get rolling to an idle no problem without touching the gas and being able to release the clutch completely. Some cars are easier than others to learn on, for whatever reason, most people who even knew how to drive a manual had a tremendously difficult time with my 350Z.

Basically the same advice Motion provided, just very slowly begin to release the clutch pedal and as soon as you begin to feel the car begin to shutter and the engine RPM begin to lower, you know where the clutch meet is. From this point it just takes a matter of experience to get very smooth with the transition between the clutch and the accelerator. If the engine is racing up in RPM but not moving quickly, you're still riding on the clutch, proceeded by a less than pleasant smell. If the car is hesitating and bulking as you begin to accelerate, you're lifting off the clutch too soon.

A couple good tips to prevent burning a clutch, when changing gears, be completely off the clutch pedal before depressing the accelerator. When downshifting, with the clutch pedal depressed and gearshift in the next lower gear, blip the throttle to 1K-1500rpm greater than the previous gear's RPM, this is rev matching and will allow a smooth transition.

Like 8 Snake has placed emphasis on, consult with your superiors before taking some car that doesn't belong to you to learn on. Or do like a lot of us and just purchase a car equipped with a manual.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
You can't be serious??

If he wants to learn to drive a stick, he needs to get PERMISSION from someone or use a vehicle of his own. I'm sure that you'd be thrilled if you bought a car from a dealer only to find that the clutch was shot because someone else thought it was ok to use your future car as a learning tool. Unreal.
Did you not read me correctly? I said find a CRAPPY trade-in and practice with it. Those types of cars, especially at a BMW dealer, will NOT be for sale on the lot again, theyll go to wholesalers who in turn either piece the cars out for sale or sell them for a few hundred dollars (at best) on horrible car lots. To be honest, thats how I learned stick. We had a bashed up old Nissan Stanza come in on a trade-in. It went right to our "pit" area for a wholesaler. I grabbed the keys and practiced driving around the "pit" to improve my stick skills. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Unreal.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Did you not read me correctly? I said find a CRAPPY trade-in and practice with it. Those types of cars, especially at a BMW dealer, will NOT be for sale on the lot again, theyll go to wholesalers who in turn either piece the cars out for sale or sell them for a few hundred dollars (at best) on horrible car lots. To be honest, thats how I learned stick. We had a bashed up old Nissan Stanza come in on a trade-in. It went right to our "pit" area for a wholesaler. I grabbed the keys and practiced driving around the "pit" to improve my stick skills. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Unreal.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with my reading comprehension skills. You took a vehicle that did not belong to you and used it to learn how to drive a manual transmission. That vehicle was then sold to someone else. If you didn't have permission to do that, there is absolutely something wrong with what you did. I don't care whether you admit it or not, that's a lousy thing to do. Period.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with my reading comprehension skills. You took a vehicle that did not belong to you and used it to learn how to drive a manual transmission. That vehicle was then sold to someone else. If you didn't have permission to do that, there is absolutely something wrong with what you did. I don't care whether you admit it or not, that's a lousy thing to do. Period.
You obviously dont understand how dealerships work. First off, all keys are held at the sales tower, so yes, permission is needed to get keys. Secondly, the car was a total POS, Im surprised it even made it to the dealer under its own power. Its not like I took a nice car that was to be sold on the UCL and beat the living tar out of it. What I did was not lousy. Whats lousy are people like you who have nothing better to do than dig into peoples' personal lives when you have absolutely no understanding of what went on. Get a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive