Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times

Advertisements

okie, I wouldn't ever remove or install spark plugs with an air ratchet ... but I was struggling to come up with ways that you might be able to R&R plugs as fast as you claim to do so.

Given that there's a lot of "stuff" in the way to access sparkplugs on so many vehicles on the road today, especially now that they aren't considered a frequent routine service item, so they're blocked off more than ever ... you can't get to them easily or quickly. Some cars even require removal of engine components to get to all the 'plugs, and the flat rate can be measured in hours for spark plug change.

FWIW, I install spark plugs in alloy head motors with a torque wrench to spec and never-seeze on the clean threads. Too much liability these days if my shop strips a thread, and we always "start" plugs in for the first few turns by hand to ensure that we've not cross-threaded the 'plug. The last thing I need is an angry owner of a car that was in for a pre-buy inspection to claim that I'd damaged his car, so a little extra care is the norm in my shop.

Judging from your braggidoccio about your speed on one older vehicle ... I'll bet that you aren't a pro mechanic at all.

I know what the flat rate times are for a fair number of vehicles to change spark plugs, and they aren't even close to your "5 minutes for a compression test" time. Nothing ... no car built in the last 40 years ... would pay as little as a few multiples of that 5 minutes.

Folks reading this exchange don't have to take my word for it ... either get your hands on a flat-rate manual (perhaps at your local library), or ask the dealer of your car's shop department what they'll charge for labor for spark plug replacement. Even if okie was the fastest mechanic ever born, it's going to be a lot more than "5 minutes" ... and they won't have quoted the compression test as part of that job.

So, if you're expecting a competent and professional pre-buy inspection of a vehicle, don't expect that you'll find a mechanic who can do a compression test in "5 minutes". Heck, even if my shop porter/detail man brings a car into a stall for me, it takes more than that to open the hood, disable the FI and ignition systems, hook up a remote starter switch, remove the sparkplug wire terminal ends (without damaging them), and remove the sparkplugs on any car. You might even encounter decorative covers over that area that block access ... which are frequently installed these days to make the engine compartment look more "tidy" and reduce motor noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Haha. you know very well you deleted the fact that you had mentioned using an air ratchet to remove a spark plug. You get a couple chances to edit your comments before it goes noticed by the board and that is when you deleted your comment.

I am not a professional mechanic, but in the experience of knowing about my vehicles and working on them alot. All i can tell you is when i did the compression test to my specific vehicle it didn't take that long. If you are performing this test on a modern vehicle it is going to depend on how many things are in the way and according to how modern it is there will be a different set of steps in performing this process granted you have an ecu. If you know what you were talking about you would have also suggested this to the OP, instead of trying to sell yourself for some unprofessional backyard inspections. What a rip off. Seriously.

Where did i ever say that I could change all my spark plugs in 5 miniutes, you keep throwing this out there and i never stated this. Please get your facts straight ,ok?

I refered to the time i remember doing my vehicle in a ABOUT 5 MINIUTES as an example of how it is not a big complicated process. Anyone is able to pick up what i meant.

Last edited by okie333; 11-02-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Here's a video on buying from a private seller.

How To Buy A Car From A Private Seller (Cars: Negotiating The Best Deal)

Does anyone think it would be a good idea if sellers themselves got their cars inspected by a mechanic then presented the papers to prospective buyers to look over?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
okie, now we know for sure that you're delusional.

You insult my professional integrity, deride my professional services as inept and incompetent, a rip-off of my client's money for my billable time, and then admit you really don't know squat about working on cars on a professional level.

Further, you insult us all on this forum by your fabrication that I've edited and withdrawn a statement that I never made. You're too stupid to not note that there is no "edited" remark at the lower left of my posts.

We're done ... you should really consider getting professional pyschiatric help, or at least a course from your kindergarten teacher about common courtesy and civil discussion. A difference of opinion is one thing, but accusing others of lying to bolster your own self-worth is delusional.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
A difference of opinion is one thing, but accusing others of lying to bolster your own self-worth is delusional.

maybe you should take your own advice..no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I wouldn't ever remove or install spark plugs with an air ratchet ... but I was struggling to come up with ways that you might be able to R&R plugs as fast as you claim to do so.
do you remember when you said this, implying that you did in fact mention this before?

are you a car salesman, they don't really know what they are talking about either, but they sure can bull**** with you.

Last edited by okie333; 11-02-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: pay attention

Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM

84 posts, read 236,244 times
Default Questions to ask before buying a used car

Quote:
are you a car salesman, they don't really know what they are talking about either, but they sure can bull**** with you.
I think we're getting off topic: questions to ask private seller before buying a used car...

I've read advice about bringing in a mechanic and it sounds great, in theory but could be expensive. It all depends on how good you are at eyeballing a vehicle and what the odds are on dishonest versus honest sellers...

The mechanic could just check one car for you or have to do 3 or more depending. And of course mechanics are not infallible.

I've gotten a used car from a private seller and it ran and ran. I've also had a used car from a dealer, supposedly safer, and had major mechanical problems within 2 weeks of purchase.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Has anyone ever done this? Or is it better to just hire a mechanic to come and check out the car?
I had a guy bring the car to a dealer and I paid to get it looked over. He was a nice guy and I don't know if everyone would agree to this since it's a pain for them. I actually have only done this once, the other cars I just took my chances with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive