Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times

Advertisements

Well I don't know if they are actually called head rests,
but I figured people would know what I'm talking about.

I don't "rest" my head on them normally,
but I do like to lean back and use it for posture sometimes
since I already like having the seat positioned upright, rather than reclined.

However, I have also attempted to use them to rest a passenger and this was a big mistake. It's a neck injury waiting to happen. With this kind of chair the only way to not get a neck injury by sleeping (as a passenger) for someone of my height is to either bring a thick pillow and wad it up, wear a neck brace or simply rip the dang thing off the back of the chair.

My biggest beef is that because when I drive I like to have the chair upright,
I now have to consciously lean my head forward,
so it does not touch the sloping "head rest",
which by merely touching it,
it seems to want to make my head tilt downward;
obviously bad when you want to look straight ahead,
so when I look straight ahead with this downward tilt,
it causes parts of my neck to pinch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
It started with Volvo's WHIPS protection system about 10 years ago. What good is it if you're previously hurt? Can't help you there. But it is for safety.
That's the thing...

I became previously hurt only because of sitting in that chair while driving.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Seems the headrests work for taller drivers but if you are 5'4" you are destined for neck problems.
If this is true, it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen;
since at least half the population is close to 5'4" or shorter.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,098,260 times
My 1988 Mercedes and 1991 Lexus have the type that you can adjust... the rear headrests also adjust. They are really comfortable.

The ones on back seat of Mercedes are huge though. Most cars in 1988 did not even have them on the back seats though. Except maybe Volvo, BMW, etc. I think the Toyota Cressidas did as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 AM

23,306 posts, read 16,991,342 times
Default true enough for a lot of complaints

Headrest Solutions | Hybrid Cars

This is one of several sites discussing headrest issues in Hondas and other cars. Lot of consumer complaints. See other sites.

When my bud was havng neck problems and going to all the different docs, I happened to notice the protruding headrests in her van and could see that had to be contrary to a comfortable position. We turned them around as she was about to go on a trip of several hours. I get a call later, neck problems miraculously began to abate and that was within a few steady hours of driving. For kicks I checked out some Honda consumer complaint sites and was shocked to see the amount of complaints about their headrests. One site mentioned a lawsuit was in process.

there was no legal/safe position where that headrest could accomodate her safely and comfortably expect by turning it around. I'm sure any insurance claims would be denied if she was in a accident as the headrest was not in the manufactureers recommended position. Called the Honda dealer who while very friendly could offer no solutions. Physical threrapy folks agreed the headrest was the main issue in her neck pain and they suggested a back pad which in this case had no positive effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive