Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times

Advertisements

Can't believe I'm admitting it but I had a 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity. It was a rattling bucket of bolts.

My first car was almost a new Gremlin, but I chose a used 61 VW Beetle instead. Whew, that was close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yeah, the Brava was I believe a 1979. Constantly, do you hear me? CONSTANTLY in the shop. We were at the shop so much, I think I ended up calling the techs Uncle. As in, "Hi Uncle Paul, we're back again". LOL
LMAO...I know THAT feeling...I bought a Dodge truck in '97 and by the time I got rid of that piece of dung the dealer's mechanics all knew my kid's name,birthday,what grade she was in at school,her dog's/horse's/mule's names and her favorite brand of soda

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM

33 posts, read 427,469 times
My car right now... 2002 Kia Sportage..

-Twice the front windows have fallen off their tracks (as recently as two days ago) and when it does that they're on a cable system so it LOCKS my windows down, and I have to get the whole dooor taken off, and the window fixed. So my car now constantly has one window down and I'm just waiting from someone to steal something
. $400 EACH TIME to fix it... I'm saving up now..

-$500 worth of break work done again..

-smells like gasoline when you put the heat on.

- over heats if you sit at stoplights esp with the air on, so I'm consitantly driving around south fla with the heat on to keep the car from over heating.Its hotter than hell..

Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Did the Caprice have the 5.7 V8? That engine might be one of the best GM has ever made. My Dad got over 300K out of that motor on his 89 Suburban. It was a flawless engine.
Mine was a 78' with the smaller 305 cid V8. Two tone green. Ran Goodyear Eagle 70's all around her and she hugged the road like no tomorrow. (She looked very much like the State Police unmarked units at the time, so cruising and clearing out the left lane was usually a breeze!)

Old 11-09-2008, 11:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
When I was a kid, my mother had a Fiat Brava. 'nough said
Fiat = Fix It Again, Tony

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,081 times
03' VW Golf GTI, got it brand new, worked great the first week. Then had problems with coilpacks, car wouldn't start at random times, electrical gremlins including sunroof that wouldn't close, windows that didn't work, ABS controller apparently needed replacement.

The random not starting and un-closable sunroof did it for me (especially during a particularly rainy summer here in FL), I was too impatient to try to lemon the thing (it was always something new that was wrong not the same thing) and traded it in after only 5 months of ownership.....that was an expensive 5 months.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I owned several GM and Ford vehicles in the 70's and they were all junk.Workmanship was terrible.Saw a show on GM about a month ago and they inviewed ex and current empoyees that wre being bought out . They all admitted that vehciles they knew had probolems were sent to dealer off the prodution line.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I owned several GM and Ford vehicles in the 70's and they were all junk.Workmanship was terrible.Saw a show on GM about a month ago and they inviewed ex and current empoyees that wre being bought out . They all admitted that vehciles they knew had probolems were sent to dealer off the prodution line.
That's very true....Although I was just a kid I can remember that you could actually sit and watch those '73-'74 chevy pickups rust while sitting on the lot.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
1985 Camero Berlinetta - If you aren't familiar the Berlinetta was kinda like a comfort edition Camero that was low on performance and high on luxury....right LMAO.

Well my dad bought it totaled for $450 and we fixed it up under a salvaged title. I think we may have invested a grand total of $2000 in it. Fortunately that is all. It used to be gold before someone decided to hit a telephone pole with it. So we painted it bright yellow and put a cowl induction hood on it to make it look more sporty. And reupholstered the inside. The engine was stock and had 215,000 miles on it when we got it. It had the worst stereo head unit I've ever seen! It was this swiveling tape deck AM/FM deal. I don't know how to describe it beyond that.

here's a pic...
http://www.bruceleibowitz.net/images/84camaro2.jpg (broken link)

Anyway the tape deck never worked....and besides that all my friends were getting CD players in their cars. The best I could do was listen to the radio...which had it's own issues.

The digital dash was cool. sorta.

Once I was going down the road and every single light on my dash came on at the same time. Nothing had happened with the engine. All gauges read normal. So I smacked the dash and they all started going on and off.....smacked it again and they all went back off and stayed off.

edit: ...and the air conditioning was absolutely TERRIBLE.

I drove it for 3 years. I think I averaged a component replacement every other month. Surprisingly nothing completely devistating happened with it. When it got to 235,000 mi I turned around and sold it for $2500...yeah...more than our original investment. And the transmission went out on the next owner not much after that. They sold it to a guy who made a racecar out of it.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM

83 posts, read 742,159 times
Default Jeep Grand Junk Cherokee

1993 Jeep Cherokee. The worst vehicle I have ever owned! Happiest Day was when I gave it to a co worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive