Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

I don't drive the RWD pick-ups on the bad winter roads.

I park the RWD pick-ups for the winter months and only drive the 4x4 when it's got a load or a modest bumper pull horse trailer behind it. Only when I need the utility of the truck; otherwise, it's time for my AWD Subie wagons to get run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Ever see the trucks cruising down the road in the winter with the rear end about dragging their bumper on the pavement? I have and it is a direct result of somebody not knowing that a little may be just right. If a little works good then a LOT must work better they think. If they put it all back by the tailgate you and I both know what the handling and stopping will be like in snow.
So true. To bad people can only buy sand bags, and not intelligence.
People need to understand that extra weight can give you traction, but it also makes it harder to stop.

Quote:
The general advice to put it between the wheel wells helps the novice (or idiot) to prevent that situation. If it is a 4X4 truck though I will still stand with the placement between the wheel wells. You want some extra weight, mostly back, but not all the extra back. A little extra toward the front you get when placing it between the wheel wells keeps balance of the vehicle better and helps with stopping as well as getting going.
4wd trucks are a completely differrent animal since driving traction needs to be spread to all wheels... but you are correct.

Quality tires are good too. I don't buy dedicated winter tires only because I can't afford them.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Many thanks, ALL! (Sorry it took so long to get back, but I had to go earn some more money for C-D access!) I'm suprised one of the accesory manufacturers haven't come up with a solution for us "urban cowboys" who rarely haul anything in our pickup beds...

Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Many thanks, ALL! (Sorry it took so long to get back, but I had to go earn some more money for C-D access!) I'm suprised one of the accesory manufacturers haven't come up with a solution for us "urban cowboys" who rarely haul anything in our pickup beds...

They have. There is a water bladder thingie that goes in the bed. Its the size of the bed, and is filled with water. Adds a couple hundred pounds, is strapped down so it is safe when frozen, and just gets emptied out in the spring.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:19 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
How about a few bags of cat litter. If you have a cat; use it and replace it as needed. If you don't have a cat, use it for oil absorbent (if you change your own oil) or other spills. And if you get stuck it can be used for traction. Sand is good but what to do with it in the spring? As far as expensive dedicated snow tires; I bought 5 Goodyear Wranglers for $50 a piece at Walmart a couple of years ago for my Explorer; keep them on year round and after many miles are still wearing well. As far as weight over the axles/wheels, I agree with Bdand. I was stationed up in Northern Maine for several years and can relate to winter conditions up there. As a side note; a major package delivery company (in this area) advises their drivers to put their sandbags directly over the vehicles rear axle if possible. Especially in the Ford Econolines and Sprinter vehicles. And they've been in the commercial driving business since 1973. True, they're not PU's but I would think the same theory would apply. As one poster mentioned; I would be careful or secure properly what I put in my PU box. In an accident, that stuff could come right through your rear window.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Especially in the Ford Econolines and Sprinter vehicles. And they've been in the commercial driving business since 1973. True, they're not PU's but I would think the same theory would apply.
Actually, vans handle much differently than pickup trucks. I'm not sure about Sprinters though. I worked for a bus company a few years back, and our vans were awful in the snow. They were way worse than any truck could ever be. They were fun in parking lots with fresh snow though. Then again, so was a 40 foot bus.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Actually, vans handle much differently than pickup trucks. I'm not sure about Sprinters though. I worked for a bus company a few years back, and our vans were awful in the snow. They were way worse than any truck could ever be. They were fun in parking lots with fresh snow though. Then again, so was a 40 foot bus.
Turned a donut with a 65' bucket truck once. It was on Compass Row (Just off the flight line) at Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, ME and I was leaving for the day. Huge flat open spot that looked like a giant skating rink that day and a 22 year old kid in a big truck. Not a good combination . All was good for about 270, then the body lean started and I thought I was going over before I finished the whole 360. NEVER again, but it did serve me well because just a couple years later I caught a bad washout and slid another one sideways on a gravel road. Knew just how it was going to react and pulled out with just a slight heart attack.

Van stink in the snow generally, but the Econolines with the 4X4 option are actually very good.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Turned a donut with a 65' bucket truck once. It was on Compass Row (Just off the flight line) at Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, ME and I was leaving for the day. Huge flat open spot that looked like a giant skating rink that day and a 22 year old kid in a big truck. Not a good combination . All was good for about 270, then the body lean started and I thought I was going over before I finished the whole 360. NEVER again, but it did serve me well because just a couple years later I caught a bad washout and slid another one sideways on a gravel road. Knew just how it was going to react and pulled out with just a slight heart attack.

Van stink in the snow generally, but the Econolines with the 4X4 option are actually very good.
for large vehicle donuts. Something that I wish everybody could experience.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Turned a donut with a 65' bucket truck once. It was on Compass Row (Just off the flight line) at Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, ME and I was leaving for the day. Huge flat open spot that looked like a giant skating rink that day and a 22 year old kid in a big truck. Not a good combination .
MB-4 and MB-2 aircraft towing tractors can be fun in snow, too!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
They have. There is a water bladder thingie that goes in the bed. Its the size of the bed, and is filled with water. Adds a couple hundred pounds, is strapped down so it is safe when frozen, and just gets emptied out in the spring.
Thanks, Dubthang! My favorite truck accessory place is checking into that now and I'll get the rest of the story Monday. I think that, with some kitty litter in a box, might be the proper equipment for winter!

Thanks, ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive