Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 PM

312 posts, read 857,962 times

Advertisements

ok thanks for your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM

879 posts, read 2,330,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basaltfire View Post
ok thanks for your replies
No prob. In all honesty, the best way to handle snow is with proper knowledge and solid driving skills. Practice makes perfect.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 PM

9,204 posts, read 10,973,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Sandbags in the bed of the truck. You can get 'em at your local hardware store; I think they generally weigh about 70# and cost about $5. I buy six and put them over the rear axle. Works great, even on my Splash that has an exceptionally light rear end because of the fiberglass flaresides.

I've never had one of the tubes burst though. If it did, I'd just wet it down so it would freeze, and then wash it out in the spring.
Sand is what I'd use. Enclose the sandbags in a couple of HD black garbage bags, that should keep the sandman safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I cheated when I was driving a pick-up. Working a job I ended up with a sheet of lead that was 4X8 and just under 1/4" thick. Laid that in the bed and was good to go and it didn't take up any room.

Before that though I made a wooden frame that sat between the wheel wells and the two "legs" that went from side to side I made long enough to go in front of and behind the wheel wells so it didn't slide around on me. Put in a bottom of thin plywood and caulked the seams. Never had sand in the bed and was easy to toss in the back come Fall and easy to take back out in the Spring.
Lead. Cool. Not only can Superman not see what you're carrying under it, but if there happens to be a nuclear burst nearby all you have to do is get under your truck.
Voila! You can make your own sci fi movie when you crawl out.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,464 times
Default Bed Weight

In the past I have used sand bags, firewood or whatever I could get my hands on. But if you can get a hold of old shelving planks, that works great. I use two layers. Plenty of weight, even weight distribution, doesn't get in the way of cargo space, and stacks easily out of the way in the warmer months.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,128,330 times
Bags of sand

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM

471 posts, read 971,957 times
If you have a bed liner, why not just get bags of salt for weight?? very useful in emergencies too!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,121,278 times
Just stick to the sand bags, you can also use the sand for traction.

Even with a bed liner or a spray in liner salt still poses a problem.
not as much but it still gets everywhere.

The sand bags are sealed the salt bags are not.
The salt adsorbs moisture and it will clump into one big lump over time.
It will find it's way out of the bag and drip onto everything.
How do I know because I have a spray in liner and I carry salt and sand all winter long for work.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,093,488 times
Back in college I kept six cases of beer in the trunk of my Camaro. It did the job, and the beer was ice cold too

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM

780 posts, read 2,906,946 times
Zombie thread revived by a noob ...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,142,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Zombie thread revived by a noob ...
You beat me to it.

That being said, it is the season and people may want to know. Personally, I throw so much crap that I don't know what to do with in the back of my truck that I really don't need to worry about adding anything for weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive