Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions from owners of GM 4x4 crew cab duallys running 8.1 / Allison combos.Info on towing POWER,TRUE mpg,reliability,quirks and any issue that is a plus or minus on these trucks would be appreciated.I have owned 4x4 duallys of all makes and engine combos for the last 30 years,but never the 8.1/allison.With gas hog trucks getting cheaper by the second, I'm thinking of upgrading(depending on your point of view) and I'm really interested in one of these trucks ,but I'm armed with zero honest info from real world owners. All I get are fan sites or bashing sites.THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Have to buy a used one.

I don't really think it's worth it. Used to sell them.

Diesel is a much better all-around truck.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:36 AM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
I had an 04 and I would get 10 MPG empty and 4 towing my 32 foot trailer. I traded it in on a 04 duramax diesel and will never go back to gas. I get 14-15 towing and 20 empty. The power is great and I dont know how I did with out it. I recentely traded the 04 diesel in on an 08 and still love it even though I did loose a little MPG. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
I had an 04 and I would get 10 MPG empty and 4 towing my 32 foot trailer. I traded it in on a 04 duramax diesel and will never go back to gas. I get 14-15 towing and 20 empty. The power is great and I dont know how I did with out it. I recentely traded the 04 diesel in on an 08 and still love it even though I did loose a little MPG. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
The Duramax Diesels are fantastic engines . . . unlike the other guys, VERY QUIET.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm looking for opinions from owners of GM 4x4 crew cab duallys running 8.1 / Allison combos.Info on towing POWER,TRUE gpm,reliability,quirks and any issue that is a plus or minus on these trucks would be appreciated.I have owned 4x4 duallys of all makes and engine combos for the last 30 years,but never the 8.1/allison.With gas hog trucks getting cheaper by the second, I'm thinking of upgrading(depending on your point of view) and I'm really interested in one of these trucks ,but I'm armed with zero honest info from real world owners. All I get are fan sites or bashing sites.THANKS!
I fixed that for you.....

Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I fixed that for you.....
Thank you.I may just end up keeping my current dually for awhile longer then unless I run across a low mileage 7.3 that is priced within reason(which I doubt is going to happen anytime soon).I get around 13 mpg empty and 9 loaded.I'm just getting bored with it and wouldn't mind selling it because it is still in decent shape and I have a buyer waiting in the wings.I THANK all of you for posting!!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 AM

The 7.3 was a good motor. If you do decide to get a Ford make sure it is the 7.3. The down side to them is the transmission. They love to eat torque converters. Good Luck

Martin

Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Yes,I've had quite a few of them(7.3) and my last was an '01 f-350 4x4 c/c...I ended up putting an ATS tranny and Billet torque converter in it.I sold it at 300,xxx and the last I heard it is still moving around pretty good.My major problem with the Fords have been front lock outs,ALWAYS snapping off while in 4x4 and under a load and the odd sensor here and there(Cam position,PSOM,VSS etc etc).

You couldn't give me a 6.0 powerstroke(turbo and injector trouble plus really weak performance compared to the 7.3)I drove one as a company truck for awhile and hated it because it was weak compared to my truck.The outfit I worked for had 25 or 30 of the 6.0s and had so much trouble with them that they ended up buying gas 6.0 Chevys and quitting Ford altogether. I've got a buddy with the new 6.4 and he seems happy so far,but you could buy half the state of Arkansas for what he gave for that rascal AND he says you have to pull the cab off if you have major engine trouble just to get to it.I looked at it the other day and 1/4 of the motor is buried in the firewall(impressive looking mess.lol).It runs pretty good tho',just to pricey for what I need.

I'm not a big fan of the Duramax because although I've never owned one,I do have several buddies with them and they've all had some major problems with injectors and the injectors are so over priced that it's criminal.Legal theft really.

I was hoping to hear good reports on the GM 8.0 because after all these years of running diesels I'm kind of liking the gas jobs again,but if you were only getting 4 mpg towing ,I really don't want to go there
I would have had a heart attack over that.THANKS AGAIN

Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 PM

No problem. The only d-max that had real problems with the injectors was the first get 01-04. If you stay away from them you will be fine.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Whatever you get, the best thing you can do for yourself is resist the urge to put in 'upgrades'.

If the truck is only designed for 300HP, and you decide to turn up the engine to 600HP, something is going to break. It isn't too hard to predict that when some kid is bragging about his new 'chip', pretty soon he'll be crying the blues about his POS transmission blowing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive