Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,123 times

Advertisements

Nothing worse than black vinyl or leather in the summer....unless it's black vinyl or leather in a black car.

"That's Hot" - Paris Hilton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Had a friend that had a blck interior ;can you say hot.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Had a friend that had a blck interior ;can you say hot.
Was it cloth, vinyl or leather?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Cloth;which made it absorb the heat. Might be oK in a very cool climate tho.He satrted putting light colored to9welos when he saw that peole short were soaking wet on their backs and the seat backs was wet too.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 PM

56 posts, read 197,253 times
Not as much as it matters whether you have a threaded fabric as opposed to leather.

Tinted windows also plays a great role to reducing interior heat.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,260,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I was wondering if for a hard-topped vehicle if have a dark coloured interior would be noticeably hotter than a light coloured one.

There are several reasons why I think this might not matter:

- When it's hot, the sun tends to be more vertical than horizontal, so your roof would shade most of the interior. Your dashboard and "rear shelf" (what's the term?) will certainly heat up, but most people don't touch those areas normally anyways.

-Even if the sun gets more horizontal, only the very top portion of the seats will actually get direct sun leaving the rest of the seat cooler in the shade.

*I think I'd like to try a dark interior for reduced glare, but I'm concerned if this might make it more uncomfortable in 90-98 F weather.
i lived in El Paso, TX for a long time. if the material is some sort of cloth, it wont make much difference. if the material is leather or vinyl, it will be extremely uncomfortable - especially when you concider that in hot weather you will likely be wearing shorts and short sleave shirts. a black leather seat in a car that has been sitting in the sun for just a few minutes -hurts. you'll find yourself placing a towel or something between you and the seat. you'll also find yourself leaving a lot of leg sweat on the seat.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM

56 posts, read 197,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i lived in El Paso, TX for a long time. if the material is some sort of cloth, it wont make much difference. if the material is leather or vinyl, it will be extremely uncomfortable - especially when you concider that in hot weather you will likely be wearing shorts and short sleave shirts. a black leather seat in a car that has been sitting in the sun for just a few minutes -hurts. you'll find yourself placing a towel or something between you and the seat. you'll also find yourself leaving a lot of leg sweat on the seat.
Living in El Paso at this current time and going through the peak of the past summer, I can say from experience at least that it is much more comfortable to be driving the car with leather and tinted glass than the car without either.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,260,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius View Post
Living in El Paso at this current time and going through the peak of the past summer, I can say from experience at least that it is much more comfortable to be driving the car with leather and tinted glass than the car without either.
'67 Pontiac Firebird with black vynil seats, no window tint, and no AC.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
I had a Toyota Celica stick-shift for several years. Black leather steering wheel and shift knob, black cloth seats, all-black dash. It was like a sauna. My Honda Element with the dark grey was not so bad, same exterior color. Probably helped that there was a lot more space inside. But the new Ford Fusion I have is the best, it has some black on the dash and the shift-knob but the seats and carpets are a light color. Never gets too hot.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I've had cars with both black interiors and lighter interiors. Black is absolutely hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive