Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 AM

27 posts, read 89,284 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to upgrade our car... We currently have a 98 Chevrolet Malibu that runs amazingly (the best car we've ever had in that area) and we haven't had an issue with it in over 4 years, except changing the brake pads... but we really need something with a little more room. We'd like to get an SUV crossover or an SUV that is not massive. Can anyone share some suggestions on makes and models? Who has good crossovers? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
New or used? Price range? Does AWD vs 2WD matter to you?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 AM

137 posts, read 503,340 times

Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 AM

27 posts, read 89,284 times
AWD and such doesn't matter a whole bunch. I'd definitely want something 2000 or newer. And I'm not interested in a European car, just because of parts, usually more expensive, harder to find and I've found they tend to break down a lot. At least the experiences I've had. The price is hard to say. My father buys cars from auctions that have issues, like cosmetic issues from accidents and then fixes them and re-sells. So I would actually have him keep an eye out for it. Prices at auctions can be surprising, so it's hard to say what I could get for the price, because I've seen cars goes for insanely low and some for insanely high and everything in between.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
how much stuff do you need to carry? do you need 3 rows of seating? is MPG a big concern or no? does it need to tow?

Mike

Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
The OP didn't really give much guidance other than it shouldn't be massive.

Some good used models to consider in no particular order:

Honda Pilot 2WD
Honda CRV
Ford Escape
Ford Edge
Toyota Highlander
Toyota RAV4
Subaru Forester
Nissan Pathfinder
GMC Acadia

Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM

45 posts, read 198,707 times
I would add a Nissan Rogue and a Mitsubishi Outlander to the list. I have owned both. The Nissan Rogue can be purchased in 2 wheel or AWD. The Outlander the same, as well as having an option for a third row of seats, if needed. Plus the Outlander came with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, so you might be able to find one still under warranty...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka View Post
AWD and such doesn't matter a whole bunch. I'd definitely want something 2000 or newer. And I'm not interested in a European car, just because of parts, usually more expensive, harder to find and I've found they tend to break down a lot. At least the experiences I've had. The price is hard to say. My father buys cars from auctions that have issues, like cosmetic issues from accidents and then fixes them and re-sells. So I would actually have him keep an eye out for it. Prices at auctions can be surprising, so it's hard to say what I could get for the price, because I've seen cars goes for insanely low and some for insanely high and everything in between.
Since your Dad has access to the super huge second tier used car market then ask him to watch for a used GM mini-van, mini-suv or full size suv.

Since you've had good luck with GM then stay with GM and pick from the vast used car market to get that cream puff vehicle you want. Suggest that you visit New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com to learn what's out there both new & used. This bit of homework will pay off big time if you take your time and do it well before you ever get to the point of looking at vehicles.

Now go get'em!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
the Ford Escape is a really nice truck with the 3.0 V6 or if you need a little bigger check out the ford explorer crossover's are usually FWD based running a car suspension which mean's they are not as good off road and can't tow or carry as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhD6Zx5NiWk

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Nissan Pathfinder
Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner
Honda CRV
Subaru Forrester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive