Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Your neighbors who have scanners can hear every bit of your conversation if your talking on a cell phone or a cordless phone. Cell phones have long rang and cordless only a block or two. Not to mention big brother listening in on land lines.
Do you have sustainable evidence to prove this?

To the person who said having a police scanner is illegal, where do you live? In many states it is legal.

To the guy who said he can't hear officers conversing on the scanner. Are you sure you have the right code for your department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Your neighbors who have scanners can hear every bit of your conversation if your talking on a cell phone or a cordless phone. Cell phones have long rang and cordless only a block or two. Not to mention big brother listening in on land lines.
I think it is harder to listen to a cell phone frequency, than a cordless phone frequency, or you at least need more sophisticated equipment.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I have a Pro-95
Mine is a Pro-97. It's looks similar to the one in that picture but the front is silver. I don't even know what half of those buttons are for. I had a friend set the frequencies I want, I just turn it on and off.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM

312 posts, read 860,617 times
cool

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basaltfire View Post
wondering who on this city data forum
like,uses,listens,
to a scanner radio?

online at work in bed in the shower?
ron
Have one, haven't used it in years. Remember the good old days when there were just ten channels for cordless phones and none of them were scrambled?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM

125 posts, read 469,180 times
All cell phones are now digital and it would be difficult to hear anything with VERY fancy equipment. Most cordless phones are now digital and or frequency hoping so they are likewise very hard to hear. Older cordless phones that are on the 49mhz band are easy, but they haven't been sold in a while so there aren't many around. If you live near a large city you can just about bet that they've gone or are in the process of going to a trunked or fully digital system. This is ll part of Homeland Security want interoperatablity between services.
In rural areas you can still hear some small town police and volunteer fire departments but evne they're going to be trunked soon.
If you run out of stuff to listen to you can try some of the ham radio freqs, 145-147 mhz, 444-446 mhz are some bands you might try searching for hams. 145.800 is the downlink freq, for the Internationa Space Stations ham radio, you can hear them IF they're over head.

73, Ron w4ron

Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM

yea there is a town a few hours from me thaat the disp is clear but the vehicles out in the feild,are encrypted even the vol fire dept!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 AM

125 posts, read 469,180 times
I think it is illegal in most states to use a scanner in your car unless you are a volunteer fireman or some such.
I know all 50 states have exempted licensed ham radio operators from scanner laws.

Ron w4ron

Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 AM

you can carry a scanner in colorado no problems

Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM

140 posts, read 859,478 times
I have several 2 at home one in my truck and one at work . But I am a Fire-Police officer with my local Vol. Fire Dept. I also have a county owned 2way in my truck to converse with county and other equipment/officers.
As for not being able to hear some of your local depts. Some have gone to 800-900 freq. Some have gone digital , the next county over from me goes digital at the end of the yr. They will not be simalcasting on any freq. that most scanners will pickup So I can either buy a $600 new scanner to have a headsup to what is going on or just wait for a dispatch from my county for mutual aid.
But even before I was a member of the Fire Dept. I have always had a scanner from the time I was a teen (46 now). It drives my 13yr old son nuts to have them on almost all the time...lol. But after listening to them for years, I sorta know what to listen to and what to ignore.
Happy scanning all

Last edited by BOBBB17037; 12-04-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive