Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times

Advertisements

Again, I have to ask... after speaking with 2 of the people we know who work for DELPHI in WNY just yesterday... They seem not only very non-caring about what is happening with the auto bailout (failure) they commented that they are indeed working many hours of OT???
How is that possible? How is it that a company that is bankrupt and being "helped" by another company that is asking for billions of dollars afford to pay their associates what they pay them to begin with and then continue to pay them OT???? What is up with the UAW and why isn't OT being brought to a halt, especially now?
Other companies out there (including my husband's) are bringing an end to it in the economy and they are not on the brinks of failure.
Just not understanding how this happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:35 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Again, I have to ask... after speaking with 2 of the people we know who work for DELPHI in WNY just yesterday... They seem not only very non-caring about what is happening with the auto bailout (failure) they commented that they are indeed working many hours of OT???
How is that possible? How is it that a company that is bankrupt and being "helped" by another company that is asking for billions of dollars afford to pay their associates what they pay them to begin with and then continue to pay them OT???? What is up with the UAW and why isn't OT being brought to a halt, especially now?
Other companies out there (including my husband's) are bringing an end to it in the economy and they are not on the brinks of failure.
........BENEFITS

For many service/manufacturing companies, it's cheaper to pay their employees time and a half, than to hire a new employee and pay for their benefits.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,877 times
One question....Is it true that retirees pension pay is equal or more than the salaries of many workers today?

Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
One question....Is it true that retirees pension pay is equal or more than the salaries of many workers today?
Not likely. Retirement will vary depending upon what contract they hired in under, years of service, position, and sometimes average, highest, or last pay. Accurate numbers are not easily available but indications are the average pension is less than $20,000 a year plus penefits.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:16 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
The answer is no.........

Save Auto Jobs: Olbermann sets it straight on autoworker pay (http://www.uaw.org/auto/12_01_08auto1.cfm - broken link) Quickest, easiest explaination.

Assembly Line

Save Auto Jobs: Questions and Answers (http://www.uaw.org/auto/12_02_08auto1.cfm - broken link)

Actual wages paid to UAW workers is actually about $28/hr. I'm not saying they are worth this, i'm just stating a fact.

UAW salaries are just part of the problem. Do you realize how many people retired from GM have now earned more in retirement than they did working for GM? My husband's grandparents both worked for GM (she in the accounting office, he was UAW assembly at the Arlington TX plant) in the 50's and 60's, and both just died within the past 5 years. They had seriously cush benefits and salary for 30+ years. Multiply that by thousands and you have a big chunk of the problem.

What I want to know is, now that GM is threatening to close 20+ plants, are any of those plants in Mexico? Or are they just going to sacrifice their American workers?

You know what they say about the first thing to do when you find yourself in a hole...stop digging.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
All retiree salaries vary depending when they retired. I know my grandmother gets a few hundred $$ a month from my grandfather's pension. Now my dad is getting a pension from Delphi/GM and i believe he gets $36k gross (this includes a supplement since he doesn't qualify for SS yet), once he his 62 his pension will be slashed and Social Security will make up the difference. When he was working he made between $50k-$60 during good years when there were no temporary layoffs.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM

327 posts, read 968,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I know nothing about OT at Delphi in western New York, but GM is slashing production at all 21 North American plants. Production workers will be off about 30% the first quarter of 2009. No OT for production or skilled trades. (Source: Detroit Free Press)

Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
I was talking to my boss's brother, who works in Detroit and is a UAW member. His job is to safety inspect nuts & bolts. His base pay is $70 + benefits.

Also, if anyone belileves Oberman, you may want to check out a mental hospital. Even including people like Rush... Oberman has more lies and pre-determined stories than any man who has ever been in the media.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM

327 posts, read 968,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I was talking to my boss's brother, who works in Detroit and is a UAW member. His job is to safety inspect nuts & bolts. His base pay is $70 + benefits.

Also, if anyone belileves Oberman, you may want to check out a mental hospital. Even including people like Rush... Oberman has more lies and pre-determined stories than any man who has ever been in the media.
Sorry, Young&Dumb, the production workers DO NOT make $70 hrly plus benefits. The 2007 contract wage scale for production workers is $14.00 hrly no defined pension. The SENIOR production workers make around $28 hrly plus a benefit package. Please make an effort to research your topic BEFORE posting fiction.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
I am amazed at the fact that the UAW line employees wage is being question while CEO's and exec's earn millions in salaries plus the cost of perks. The cost of labor per car is 10%. What do you think the management cost is? I tried to get a figure but that seems to be top secret. You must realize that the big guns on top who control the news media and government want the American people to believe that the problem is the bottom rung worker. That's like blaming the last guy in the parade, the one that sweeps up, for a wrong turn. Wake up America that UAW worker on the line never had a say in what kind of car to build, how much to charge, or how much to pay their top exec's. If you want to question a UAW full wage and benefit at $70 then start looking that the NYC bus drivers, iron-workers,
and other union labor. Start questioning doctors costs at $150 per OV for ten minutes. At that rate that doctor is earning $900/hr and isn't limited to a 40 hour week. Now consider foreign manufactures paying their labor $18/hr and charging just a much and a comparable American car. Where does all that extra profit go? Back to Japan, Germany, Korea, etc. and spent in their economy. As long as we build cars using union labor anybody in America has an equal opportunity to work for them. Take it away and where are you going to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive