Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
If Obama's proposal is accepted by the government voting bodies, where as a condition to bailout the big three have to change their ways, you WILL see hybrid sales go back up again. Especially if there's also some price gouging prevention in that condition.
The "big 3" need to have vehicles for everyone in their lineup. They should make hybrids (like the Volt), but they should also keep making the big SUVs because there are some people who will buy them no matter what. The fact is American car companies loose money by making smaller cars, so they need to offset it by making a certain number of bigger ones. If the government tries to tell them what they can and cannot make that will certainly drive them out of business and there would be no point in this bail out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,841,659 times
the building can't really be used for anything else without extensive remodeling. new dealerships aren't just 4 walls and a bunch of cars parked inside, they are purposely highly themed so that any idiot, even a hummer driver, or a hybrid driver, will recognize it only as that brand. you can't sell anything else out of a hummer building with a straight face. and c'mon, any hybrid driver would be too smug to buy one out of a hummer building anyway, lol.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:30 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
the building can't really be used for anything else without extensive remodeling. new dealerships aren't just 4 walls and a bunch of cars parked inside, they are purposely highly themed so that any idiot, even a hummer driver, or a hybrid driver, will recognize it only as that brand. you can't sell anything else out of a hummer building with a straight face. and c'mon, any hybrid driver would be too smug to buy one out of a hummer building anyway, lol.
Many big dealers that were exclusive to only one or two brands before are now diversifying their line ups and creating "automotive groups".

Like this one which used to only sell Chevy's...
Sandy Sansing Automotive Group | Chevrolet - Nissan - BMW - Mazda - Hyundai - Chrysler | Pensacola - Florida | Mobile - Alabama

Or this one that used to only sell Pontiacs and GMC's...
Chris Myers | Daphne - Mobile - Biloxi - Gulfport | New - Used - Preowned Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Nissan Dealership | Alabama

They may show different addresses, but they're all pretty much in the same buildings.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,223,598 times
Quote:
"The Frank Kent Hummer dealership -- complete with an indoor waterfall and a massive curved roof reminiscent of an aircraft hanger -- opened in Fort Worth in the spring of 2005 with hopes as high as the giant "H" that dominates its entrance.

Three years later, General Motors (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/General+Motors+Corporation?tid=informline - broken link) wants to get rid of its lagging Hummer brand. But what's good for GM in this case may not be good for its 400 Hummer dealers, who have invested millions of dollars with the expectation of selling a line of new products for years to come."

I used to drive by that exact dealership every day on my way to work when I lived in FTW. And every day I used to shake my head because I couldn't figure out for the life of me why anyone would want a bulky version of a Tahoe....and couldn't figure out for the life of me why they would sink that kind of money into a dealership like that....and now we know...we weren't so dumb to wonder....because it really didn't make sense to anyone else either.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
Hummers used to be a cash cow. Money hand over fist. Then the gas prices soared, and now they are worthless.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
the car industry followed DOD. big fat contracts for big fat vehicles.
we need to slim down and go on a diet.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,996,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The "big 3" need to have vehicles for everyone in their lineup. They should make hybrids (like the Volt), but they should also keep making the big SUVs because there are some people who will buy them no matter what. The fact is American car companies loose money by making smaller cars, so they need to offset it by making a certain number of bigger ones. If the government tries to tell them what they can and cannot make that will certainly drive them out of business and there would be no point in this bail out.
And that's why we got into this problem in the first place.

I'm all cool with companies, rental companies, the governments, the airlines, construction, manufacturing, etc...industries getting SUVs, large trucks, etc. I'm not cool with Jane the Soccer Mom picking her ONE kid up from baseball practice in a Cadillac Escalade on 24's. Nor am I cool with chicks who buy Titans so they can transport all of their buddies down to the club.

My thing is, if you're getting an SUV or large pickup or crossover, get it because you have a certifiable need for it. The problem is too many Americans want them as fashion statements, and that ticks me off, because it's like people don't seem to grasp that fossil fuels are not going to last forever. Additionally, along with the big vehicles come big attitudes, especially on the female side.

I'm fine with dealers selling the big stuff to corporations who actually need it to conduct business, or even independent contractors. I'm not cool with people getting it just to look cool, and that's what they've come to.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
I don't get it...they 'got rich' off of Hummers but now they're getting rid of them?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
Quote:
And that's why we got into this problem in the first place.

I'm all cool with companies, rental companies, the governments, the airlines, construction, manufacturing, etc...industries getting SUVs, large trucks, etc. I'm not cool with Jane the Soccer Mom picking her ONE kid up from baseball practice in a Cadillac Escalade on 24's. Nor am I cool with chicks who buy Titans so they can transport all of their buddies down to the club.

My thing is, if you're getting an SUV or large pickup or crossover, get it because you have a certifiable need for it. The problem is too many Americans want them as fashion statements, and that ticks me off, because it's like people don't seem to grasp that fossil fuels are not going to last forever. Additionally, along with the big vehicles come big attitudes, especially on the female side.

I'm fine with dealers selling the big stuff to corporations who actually need it to conduct business, or even independent contractors. I'm not cool with people getting it just to look cool, and that's what they've come to.

So you believe your morals and values should be the norm, and people should only allowed to be able to purchase vehicles you approve of?

Who cares if Jane the Soccer Mom wants a supercharged 'Slade on 24's to carry one person around? Her money, her gas bill. Not yours.

And dealerships shouldn't be allowed to sell a profitable product to consumers who want it?

What a crock.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
I agree - you should be able to drive whatever you want. Some people enjoy stamps as a hobby, some people like to shop for clothes, people like different things...

But some people are really into cars and they mean more to them than simple transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive