Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm reposting this as an example of what a speeding road rager can do. What happened below could have resulted in a firey crash.

Why thanks, because we missed it 2 whole pages ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Here's how I see it. The left lane is for passing. You can only drive there at your preferred (slow) speed if no one is behind you driving faster than you are. It is safer to return to the right lane and let whoever is driving faster take the lane. I would speed up fast enough to try to return to the right lane. At least the faster guy behind me knows I am at least making an attempt to get out. It's just not worth it to invite road rage.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I too don't like it when slow drivers take up the passing lane but I don't go road rage when confronted with this situation. Yes, it is possible to have to pass someone when obeying the posted speed limit. If I see that the person is on the phone while driving I tap my horn to let them know I'm there but I don't ride their bumper. Usually this is enough for them to speed up. If I'm slowly coming up behind someone and wish to pass, I'll get in the left lane, increase my speed a little, pass the person, get back in the left lane when it's clear, and resume my speed. If I should come up upon two vehicles driving exactly at or just below the posted speed limit and they're driving side by side holding up traffic, I'll try to get their license plate numbers or a good description of the cars and call it in to 911 because they are guilty of impeding the flow of traffic.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
I can't even begin to tell you how angry it makes me when I get behind slow morons in the fast lane. How hard is it for them to get over? I really just don't get it. How did they end up all the way over in the left lane to begin with? Do they not notice the long line of cars stuck behind them?

If you want to drive at or under the speed limit, PLEASE get over in the right lane where you belong. We're not asking you to drive fast: just get out of everyone else's way! Some of us have things to do that don't involve sitting in our cars all day.

Slow drivers in the fast lane seems to be a topic of conversation that is becoming increasingly popular. As our nation's roadways continue to become more congested, I think we'll see much stricter enforcement against these left lane hogs. Most people just don't want to put up with it anymore. Most American drivers are running on a pretty short fuse (at least, in the major cities).

Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
If I should come up upon two vehicles driving exactly at or just below the posted speed limit and they're driving side by side holding up traffic, I'll try to get their license plate numbers or a good description of the cars and call it in to 911 because they are guilty of impeding the flow of traffic.

911 is for emergencies. As much as the above scenario pis*es us off, it definitely isn't an emergency.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Many drivers, including some who post here on this site, feel that if they are driving the speed limit, they can drive in any lane they want and "tuff on you" "you shouldn't be going any faster anyways"

Sometimes I end up following people for miles driving right next to eachother at 65 miles per hour. They feel they are doing the limit and thats what I should be doing as well. They fail to realize that driving right next to another vehicle is far more dangerous than going faster, but then again in a mini van or suv that may be a toss up.

I am the first to admit that I become irritated when boxed in, but I usually find a quick way around

Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Well, if I may stand in defense of the left lane drivers......

Personally, I HATE driving in the right lane because of all the merging that goes on there. It is very dangerous to try to judge the speed of merging vehicles to make sure that they can get in either before or after you without having to adjust your speed dramatically. Because of this, in congested areas I often drive in the left lane.

I figure that there is a speed limit for a reason and that if I am going the speed limit there should be no good reason why anyone would want to pass me. Of course there are countless morons in the world (bajillions of them) who think that the speed limit is just a suggestion, and not a very good one. If they are inconvenienced by my driving in the left lane, so be it. They are breaking the law anyway, so what difference does it make if they are happy or not. If people would OBEY THE LAW they wouldn't be upset about my driving in the "passing" lane.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
In Colorado now it's illegal to cruise in the left lane in light traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As far as I know, it's the law in most states to "Drive on the right, Pass on the left" but most drivers ignore it (and too few cops enforce it)
Obtaining a DL is far too easy, cheap, and simple in the US-America.

Germany has real standards, including a road test that goes beyond one's ability to drive around the block without hitting anything, and rules knowledge and training that make our driver "training" look like what it is, a bad joke.

As long as any ditz or dork with 15 bucks and the ability to sign their name the same twice can get a DL, we will have morons who have no concept of rules, courtesy, or even the awareness that there are others on the road just as important as they are.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
I too don't like it when slow drivers take up the passing lane but I don't go road rage when confronted with this situation. Yes, it is possible to have to pass someone when obeying the posted speed limit. If I see that the person is on the phone while driving I tap my horn to let them know I'm there but I don't ride their bumper. Usually this is enough for them to speed up. If I'm slowly coming up behind someone and wish to pass, I'll get in the left lane, increase my speed a little, pass the person, get back in the left lane when it's clear, and resume my speed. If I should come up upon two vehicles driving exactly at or just below the posted speed limit and they're driving side by side holding up traffic, I'll try to get their license plate numbers or a good description of the cars and call it in to 911 because they are guilty of impeding the flow of traffic.

Since you are so big on obeying the law, cruising in the left hand lane is illegal, as is calling 911 or using your horn in the above-described situation.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, if I may stand in defense of the left lane drivers......

Personally, I HATE driving in the right lane because of all the merging that goes on there. It is very dangerous to try to judge the speed of merging vehicles to make sure that they can get in either before or after you without having to adjust your speed dramatically. Because of this, in congested areas I often drive in the left lane.

I figure that there is a speed limit for a reason and that if I am going the speed limit there should be no good reason why anyone would want to pass me. Of course there are countless morons in the world (bajillions of them) who think that the speed limit is just a suggestion, and not a very good one. If they are inconvenienced by my driving in the left lane, so be it. They are breaking the law anyway, so what difference does it make if they are happy or not. If people would OBEY THE LAW they wouldn't be upset about my driving in the "passing" lane.

20yrsinBranson
There are very few defenses for left-lane cruising. You bring up one with regard to merging traffic and congestion, but by being slow in the left lane, you're contributing to congestion, and the increased risk of accidents as cars bunch up. Get over to the left in merging areas if you have to, but get over between areas and allow traffic to progress.

Unless you have a badge number, you have zero business enforcing laws like speed limits. You can report a crime, but being a vigilante is frowned upon. Disregarding others' rights to do as they wish, be it legal or not, is not right, even if you don't agree with it. If you want to impede traffic and anger others, don't be surprised when they make obscene gestures and cut you off, or worse, rear end you and push you off the road, as is increasingly happening.

Besides that, its just safer to be as far right as you can, for multiple reasons. You want to be able to get off the road if necessary, say a tire blows out, the engine cuts out, or oncoming traffic or debris from traffic crosses over the median. The last place you want to be is stranded between six lanes of high speed traffic with the same inattentive drivers buzzing by you in the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive