Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,365 times

Advertisements

1.What does 185/65-14 mean when it comes to tire size? I check out the Tirerack,but I need something that help me to understand the tire size a little bit better through pictures and etc...!

2.If there is a good link that explain tire size,please post it here!

3.Is it easy to mount wheels to the tires by yourself in which is it possible to have all of the right equipments to do it or some of the equipments are not for sell for the consumers?

4.Is it possible to learn how to mount a tire to the car?

Please note that even though,it might be possible to mount wheel or tires,please tell me that if I do make it work that there is a high risk of improper installation since if I know that,then I would get a professional to do it!

5.This is the Tire Size of my future Michelin X-Ice Xi2 Tires:Size:185/65R14 What is the R stands for?

6.This is the service description of the tires:# Serv. Desc: 86T

I don't get the load index,does that mean that one tire can support a certain weight? The Load Index is 86,so one tire can support 1,168 lbs. or does it mean all four tires can support 1,168 lbs.?

7.When a professional from an auto shop charge you for mounting new tires to the car,do they also charge you for unmounting the previous tires or is that a freebie?

8.Are alloy wheels the same as aluminum wheels?

Last edited by BORGUSX; 12-10-2008 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM

93 posts, read 165,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.What does 185/65-14 mean when it comes to tire size? I check out the Tirerack,but I need something that help me to understand the tire size a little bit better through pictures and etc...!
185 is the width of the tire in MM, 65 is the aspect ratio-the width of the sidewall as a percentage of the width of the tire. The 14 is the rim size in inches.

2.If there is a good link that explain tire size,please post it here!

3.Is it easy to mount wheels to the tires by yourself in which is it possible to have all of the right equipments to do it or some of the equipments are not for sell for the consumers?
No, no, no!!!! Please leave this up to people with proper equipement. You can get hurt!!!

If you lived 50 years ago

Please note that even though,it might be possible to mount wheel or tires,please tell me that if I do make it work that there is a high risk of improper installation since if I know that,then I would get a professional to do it!

5.This is the Tire Size of my future Michelin X-Ice Xi2 Tires:Size:185/65R14 What is the R stands for?
Radial

I don't get the load index,does that mean that one tire can support a certain weight? The Load Index is 86,so one tire can support 1,168 lbs. or does it mean all four tires can support 1,168 lbs.?
Per tire

7.When a professional from an auto shop charge you for mounting new tires to the car,do they also charge you for unmounting the previous tires or is that a freebie?
No, the charges usually include mounting and dismounting the tires. You may have to pay a waste fee to get rid of the old ones.

Yes, in a way. Aluminum wheels are usually an alloy of some type. There are many types of alloys including magnesium based, which you don't anymore.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,221,005 times
Hey BORGUSX...

Starliner already answered your questions about tire sizes.

That said, I want to reiterate what he said about trying to mount the tires on the rims by yourself: DON'T DO IT!

I grew up on a farm where we did all our own work, so I've changed a lot of tires. However, it's a huge pain in the butt. And without having the proper tools, you will NOT be able to do the job.

When you go to get your new tires, the "end price" is what is important. Make sure you get the final price in writing BEFORE you have them put your new tires on.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Type "tire ether" into youtube.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,360 times
185 is the hieght of the tire 85 is the width 14" is the wheel size

Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 AM

432 posts, read 1,660,365 times
1.Does it cost a lot of money when it comes to buying the proper tools for mounting wheels to the tires?

2.Does it cost a lot of money when it comes to buying the proper tools for mounting tires to the car?

3.Why can't you learn how to mount a tire to a car anymore,but why 50 years ago?

4.If someone can check on Tire Rack,they are selling wheels that they call alloy wheels so if anyone can check it out and determine what alloy it is,please tell me! In addition,what is the pros and cons of the alloy wheels!

Thank you for your time!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Quote:
Height/tread width-rim size

Quote:
If you have to ask, you won't be able to do it. You will also need to balance the tire after having it mounted at a shop.

Quote:
The owners manual gives proper directions on how to mount the tire on the car. If you don't have one, they will be the same in all cars so read one from someone else's car manual.

Quote:
"Rousy Rating"... it was made in Japan.... (Couldn't pass on that one)

Quote:
Stands for what that one tire can support, should be on the side of the tire in print also with air pressure.

Quote:
Normally, they will charge a flat fee to remove the tires, replace the new ones on the rims, balance them and put them back on the car/truck. In Alaska, it will be about ten to fifteen dollars per tire, should be cheaper in the States.

Quote:
Could be, could be Magnesium, Stainless Steel... pretty much anything that is not the standard steel rims

Last edited by starlite9; 12-11-2008 at 02:14 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Quote:
1.Does it cost a lot of money when it comes to buying the proper tools for mounting wheels to the tires?

2.Does it cost a lot of money when it comes to buying the proper tools for mounting tires to the car?

3.Why can't you learn how to mount a tire to a car anymore,but why 50 years ago?

4.If someone can check on Tire Rack,they are selling wheels that they call alloy wheels so if anyone can check it out and determine what alloy it is,please tell me! In addition,what is the pros and cons of the alloy wheels!

Thank you for your time!
The tools to change out tires are still able to be bought, but if you aren't doing it for a living, the one or two times you will use them won't even come close to the money you will save by having a tire shop change them out for you.

50 years ago, there wasn't tubeless tires as a common tire. They were tubes and bias ply, not radials as almost all cars/trucks use now. Balancing the tire on the new lighter cars/trucks is part of the makeup of the ride and an out of balance tire can rip up your drive train on the new vehicles to boot.

The "Alloy" rim, is for looking "cool", it does nothing more than the steel rims in that they hold the tire on the car/truck and the extra money that is spent to buy them. You go no faster, ride is the same... unless you are in the racing circuit and the few pounds different may keep you in second place!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 AM

886 posts, read 5,717,264 times
Here you go

Terry's Explanation of Tire Data Fields

Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel rims I bought at a salvage yard. I also have a set of summer tires mounted on the original aluminum alloy wheels. I have new tires mounted on the appropriate rims by the tire dealer. I also have him swap the wheels because paying $7 a wheel is cheaper than a sore back. I take the tires to the tire place and go have a cup of coffee. When I get back they are all mounted and ready to go. I would not even try to take tires on and off the rims. It is too difficult and too dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive