Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,170,174 times

Advertisements

GMC should be axed. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,220,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Silverado and Sierra have the exact same build, insulation, everything. They are built on the same line at the same plant by the same people in the same way. Aside from cosmetics, they are identical.

But just as I said, there are people who won't believe otherwise.

They will kill the Sierra long before the Silverado.
yeh that's what they tell you chevy salesman.

i've owned both, and i've seen what's inside each one. sierra is better insulated and has a quieter ride.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 AM

26,138 posts, read 48,794,438 times
Going forward, what I'd suggest as a rational GM structure is what follows. I favor keeping all trucks in one company or division, as it can be sold off or set up as a discreet corporate entity if needed; same for car lines.

- GMC does ALL trucks, all sizes of pickup, all mini-vans, all SUVs, and all commercial trucks (dumps, flats, local delivery) and full size semi tractors. All trim lines from plain to fancy. Example: Escalade moves over from Cadillac to become a GMC label for luxury SUV.

- Chevy does cars only. From basic level econo-cars, to family sedans and taxi's, to Camaro's, to Korvettes.

- Pontiac and Buick go away. Like Olds, they seem redundant.

- Saturn stays and becomes some sort of green alternative, though I'm not sure just how Saturn fits into GM.

- Cadillac does luxury cars only. Fancy cream puffs and super luxury sports cars. Competes against BMW, MB, Lexus, etc.

Not being an automotive engineer, I don't understand how the above may impact assembly operations, if at all. I've toured several auto assembly plants, but that's been a while, and it is interesting to see the lines working.

Another big deal in this mess is the dealer networks and what happens when Buick and/or Pontiac go away. Some could become Chevy dealers and some could become GMC truck dealers, but there's bound to be turmoil.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:34 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
yeh that's what they tell you chevy salesman.

i've owned both, and i've seen what's inside each one. sierra is better insulated and has a quieter ride.

Thank you for proving the point I made in my first post. Some people are convinced. But I've been to the plant and watched them roll down the line and spoken with the guys who build them.

I've been in both, I've sold both, I've watched both being worked on.

You can feel as it has a better ride if it makes you feel better for paying more, GMC owner.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:37 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,687,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Going forward, what I'd suggest as a rational GM structure is what follows. I favor keeping all trucks in one company or division, as it can be sold off or set up as a discreet corporate entity if needed; same for car lines.

- GMC does ALL trucks, all sizes of pickup, all mini-vans, all SUVs, and all commercial trucks (dumps, flats, local delivery) and full size semi tractors. All trim lines from plain to fancy. Example: Escalade moves over from Cadillac to become a GMC label for luxury SUV.

- Chevy does cars only. From basic level econo-cars, to family sedans and taxi's, to Camaro's, to Korvettes.

- Saturn stays and becomes some sort of green alternative, though I'm not sure just how Saturn fits into GM.

- Cadillac does luxury cars only. Fancy cream puffs and super luxury sports cars. Competes against BMW, MB, Lexus, etc.

Not being an automotive engineer, I don't understand how the above may impact assembly operations, if at all. I've toured several auto assembly plants, but that's been a while, and it is interesting to see the lines working.

Another big deal in this mess is the dealer networks and what happens when Buick and/or Pontiac go away. Some could become Chevy dealers and some could become GMC truck dealers, but there's bound to be turmoil.
I agree with you on everything but eliminating Buick. Buick is still a valid intermediate luxury car that sells very well. It is also a subdivision that is fairly independent on what the vehicle is built with, even if a few of the models share a similar platform with other divisions.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,421,697 times
For GMC, how about GM keeps it but uses it for fleet sales only for industrial applications?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,645,170 times
I love my GMC Yukon Denali and I'd much rather do away with Chevy Trucks/SUV's than GMC. I do agree it seems redundant to have 2 companies producing almost exactly the same type of vehicle but Ford does the same GM does. Ford-Basic, Mercury-Intermediate, Lincoln-Luxury while GM has Chevy-Basic, GMC-Intermediate, Cadillac-Luxury. I've always found GMC trucks/SUV's to be more handsome and have a little better interior than their Chevrolet twin.

I wouldn't do away with Pontiac though, GM needs a line where they can produce "experimental" vehicles (so to speak) that can test the waters of what will sell and what will not (example, the Solstice). I've never really cared much for Pontiac's myself due to their cheap interior materials but they are priced well for many new college graduates that don't mind the cheapo interior and just want a powerful engine option.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:38 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,007,583 times
Actually, GM could find a way to keep them all IF they structured it correctly. This is the reason why Oldsmobile was discontinued. GM couldn't find a "niche" for it in its later lears (late 1990s) and as a result, the brand fell into obscurity.

The Chevy division needs to focus on budget to mid-range brand cars only. GMC needs to take over the trucks and SUV's. Pontiac could a division be similar to Chevy, but with an emphasis on performance. Buick can position itself as the intermediate/semi-luxury brand between Chevy and Cadillac. And Cadillac could continue to focus on luxury vehicles. Saturn needs to restructure itself as an experimental/concept car division, or else it'll go the way of Oldsmobile.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:38 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Good way to put it.. I agree, but my parents have been loyal Buick owners for years. I like Caddy, but I think Buick should take the Caddy position. To me Buicks have always been comfortable, easy to work on. Well priced.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,687,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Good way to put it.. I agree, but my parents have been loyal Buick owners for years. I like Caddy, but I think Buick should take the Caddy position. To me Buicks have always been comfortable, easy to work on. Well priced.
Buick should take the Caddy position?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive