Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:37 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times

Advertisements

I think that the loss of divisions (Plymouth, Olds) and entire companies (AMC, maybe Chrysler) is very sad but if GM is going to resuscitate itself, it should think about reducing itself to two or at the most three divisions.

I fear that the alternative will be to lose divisions one at a time with all the trauma that that entails. I'd rather have my wisdom teeth extracted all at one sitting than in four separate ordeals.

We know that the 2-tier system works for at least the Japanese "big three," as well as for Ford/Lincoln and GM itself if we look at Cadillac.

Consolidating all trucks into GMC might be OK but no other major competitor seems to need a separate truck channel. Plus, where do minivans and crossovers go?

This is a problem resulting from accumulating multiple brands but not being able to maintain the uniqueness which made the brand attractive in the first place (primarily for economic reasons). Therefore, they've resorted to badge engineering to artificially engender brand loyalty instead of concentrating on a more limited number of killer vehicles. GM's also been using tricks such as passing off a modern day Saab as a genuine Saab by placing the ignition on the floor or "It's a Buick!" by putting portholes on the front quarter panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
GMC isn't going away any time soon. It's the most profitable GM line, and Pontiac/Buick dealerships would lose half their business if they didn't have GMC trucks on their lots alongside the cars.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
GM's also been using tricks such as passing off a modern day Saab as a genuine Saab by placing the ignition on the floor or "It's a Buick!" by putting portholes on the front quarter panels.
I own a GM Saab and I can tell you there's a lot more to it than just putting the ignition in the center console. The materials, fit & finish, feature content, and overall driving characteristics are unlike anything else GM built for the U.S. market at that time. Domestic brands have caught up in fundamental driving characteristics since many domestics share the same platform as the 9-3 (the 9-5 still rides on the old 2900 platform), but the materials, feature content and overall driving performance of the 9-3 is still miles ahead of anything else built on the Epsilon platform.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
- GMC does ALL trucks, all sizes of pickup, all mini-vans, all SUVs, and all commercial trucks (dumps, flats, local delivery) and full size semi tractors. All trim lines from plain to fancy.

- Chevy does cars only. From basic level econo-cars, to family sedans and taxi's, to Camaro's, to Korvettes.

- Saturn stays and becomes some sort of green alternative, though I'm not sure just how Saturn fits into GM.

- Cadillac does luxury cars only. Fancy cream puffs and super luxury sports cars. Competes against BMW, MB, Lexus, etc.
+1

Some potential amendmends to above:

* Saturn could stay with the Opel lineup: Compact cars with small displacement engines, maybe modern diesels as an alternative for people seeking fuel efficiency and a "european touch"... that way Chevy could concentrate on the larger family sedans and up.

* Why not use Corvette as a standalone brand (as they do in Europe), that way a range of true sportscars could be build under the Corvette badge... like Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. does

Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,492 times
It seams GM would get out of the "copy cat" era. There is no need to copy each other just because of name. I agree, GMC trucks, Chevy cars, and Caddy on top! In my region of the country dont see many Buicks so are they really that popular??

Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
GMC allows dealers otehr than chevy dealers to sale trucks.Even today truacks and SUVs are the biggest seller for Gm vehjciles and certainly the money makers still.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:36 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
GMC fans prefer the grill and tailgate designs over the Chevy, otherwise, they are the same truck.
Buick isn't going anywhere, because.........

Old people
People that cannot afford Cadillac
Superior build quality
China

Old 05-25-2019, 12:34 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
GMC fans prefer the grill and tailgate designs over the Chevy, otherwise, they are the same truck.
Buick isn't going anywhere, because.........

Old people
People that cannot afford Cadillac
Superior build quality
China
You are responding to a thread that's 11 years old.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

i've owned both, and i've seen what's inside each one. sierra is better insulated and has a quieter ride.
Been stated multiple times. It's the same truck. Perception may be reality for some. But it's the same truck. And as stated above. The order code numbers are the same.

Advertising and Marketing sure can get to some folks.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:57 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
You are responding to a thread that's 11 years old.
Honestly, the question is still valid 11yrs, why is there GMC, as it is basically a Chevy+, unless its just GM's Buick type line for trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive