Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
2009 F-150 has solid rear axle and leaf spring design. Ford F-150 pickup Look under the "Chassis" tab
2009 rear axle F-150

Same on their F-250 larger. Ford Trucks: Super Duty 2009 Same thing, it is under the Chassis tab on this page

Their Rangers have independent suspension for 2009 front and rear, but not their full sized trucks.
I was wrong about Dodge, seems they are swapping out the front solids for IFS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
The IFS will do you fine if you dont get too throttle happy. I have had many IFS trucks that work great for mild off-roading. I have owned all brands and I keep going back to Chevy. I love the ride and handling. I had nothig but prolblems with my Ford diesel and the transmission in the Dodge diesel kept going out. My 2 Chevy diesels have problem free.

You will have to test drive them and see what you like. If you go with a half ton I believe the Dodge is the only one that you can get with a solid. It all comes to personal pref. and what you like when you test drive.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Rear??? What truck do you have? I was unaware of this, I would like a link to this information if you wouldn't mind, thanks.
I have a Sport Trac 4x4. Class 4 tow hitch 750 tonque weight 7500 pound tow. Basically a F150 frame narrowed.
I'll have to look around for it. Flyer from Ford that this was the last year of solid axles from Ford.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Control arm bushings are another (the weakest?) part in the GM IFS. Other than that I've had no real problems with my older ('94) K3500 crew/dually. Tow medium and heavy on occasion, and occasional truck camper in the bed.
Seem to notice worn bushings on almost every front 4X4 GM IFS I look at over four or five years old.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Flyer from Ford that this was the last year of solid axles from Ford.
Just on their SUV line. Truck line still is solid rear axle on all but the Ranger.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Control arm bushings are another (the weakest?) part in the GM IFS. Other than that I've had no real problems with my older ('94) K3500 crew/dually. Tow medium and heavy on occasion, and occasional truck camper in the bed.
Seem to notice worn bushings on almost every front 4X4 GM IFS I look at over four or five years old.
That problem was taken care of with the new body style in 2001. They redisigned the control arms with better angles.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
I don't know if it's me or what but looking at CV shafts makes me cringe. it seems they wouldn't be very sturdy. Like they'd break if I decided to do a little mudding.

Also something I'm curious about....would I be better off with locking hubs or non locking hubs? Why do some models have this and others not?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times
Straight axle:

Pros: A straight axle setup is much stronger, allows for more articulation, provides potentially higher ground clearance, and any height of the vehicle can be attained. Ideal for extreme off roading conditions like rock crawling that demand slow speeds, strength, and articulation / suspension travel. They are also simpler than IFS systems, and are thus easier and cheaper to lift.

Cons:
Until you lift it, you get very little ground clearance or travel benefits out of SFA. With stock springs, your wheel travel still sucks, and you can't put large enough tires on it to improve your breakover/approach/departure angles or ground clearance in general. Also, ride quality is not as plush as the IFS.

IFS:

Pros: provides a soft ride quality and fast suspension response times to varying terrain. This allows the suspension to perform well under higher speed, more traction oriented off roading because the tires better follow the contour of the terrain. This type of suspension is quickly becoming standard because it meets the demands of the average 4X4 truck owners needs while providing good ride quality.

Cons: Components often not as strong as the Straight axle setups (although this is slowly improving), don't provide as much travel or articulation, and the configuration is more complex. The more complex configuration can make alignment more difficult, and makes the truck much more expensive to modify / lift.

Overall, it really comes down to what you want to do with the truck and what kind of off roading you are interested in.

Most trucks today see relatively light work duty and rarely see hardcore rock crawling.This is why the better riding IFS is becoming standard. The IFS setups are more than capable enough to get the average joe to hunting camp or home from work in a snow storm.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

Also something I'm curious about....would I be better off with locking hubs or non locking hubs? Why do some models have this and others not?
Do you mean manual hubs or automatic hubs? Again, it depends on your application. Manual hubs are generally stronger and more reliable than automatic hubs, but they require you to physically get out of the vehicle to turn them in or out. Automatic hubs are convienient, but some are problematic because the vaccum or other types of switches associated with them can break over time.

Most modern 4X4's use a live axle setup that doesn't use an operational wheel hub. The switch on the dash controls the transfer case which then provides power to the front shaft / wheels.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Thanks Johnny. I meant manuals, the kind you have to get out and engage.

Another thing I've pondered...is if I didn't manually lock the hubs but had it in 4 hi what would happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive