Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,123 times

Advertisements

Moderators, I did post this topic, in
//www.city-data.com/forum/garden/
but got no replies or views. Thought maybe the folks over here in Automotive could be of some help. If this topic, cant be here in automotive please delete it and leave the other one. Just need some advice as we are getting a big snow storm tomorrow..

Thanks in advance for any help!!

I found out a few days ago we were getting a big snow storm, I put it off to the last min, to get my snow blower out. Well today I got it out from sitting all summer. “I always run the gas out of the tank before putting away”. Put fresh gas in it gave the primmer a couple pumps and Nothing! Didn’t take me long to figure out I had a problem.

So I pulled the side cover off so I could get a look at the crab. Found the rubber hose coming from the primer was broken. Went to auto zone, got new hose and spark plug. Fixed and put back together. Started right up!! Boy was I happy!! However when I went to turn the choke off.. ”after it warmed up”. Off went the snow blower?? Come to find out it now well only run with the choke on?? “and not very well after it gets hot”! So I took the crab apart looked good inside not that dirty. Got some crab cleaner and went over everything I could see. Put back together and still the same problem.

BTW. It’s a 2 stage snow blower. 6 horses Brigg’s & Stratton motor. Theirs no way this thing is going to handle 5 to 10 of snow tomorrow the way its running.. And I don’t have time to take it some where for someone to look at it. Anyone know as to why it will only run with the choke on??? I have no problem spending half the morning fixing it if I know what to fix or what I over looked??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
You've already done what I did when my 8hp B&S engine would only run with choke... cleaned the carburetor.

My friend at the small engine/mower shop said he can't keep ahead of all the work coming through the door with starting/running problems.

I'm in CA and the new gas is causing havoc with rubber carburetor seals and gaskets... especially if the equipment is stored without running the carb dry first.

If the engine starves without choke when warm... I still think the problem is a fuel blockage in the main jet

Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
I've had things just like this on small motors...even motor cycles that have sat around unused for awhile. I know you said you took the carb apart but my guess is you need to do it again. Two years ago I took a carb apart 3 times before I got it right...went thru a whole spray can of carb gummout.
Also...I have a Ariens plow tractor 12 hp motor..the fuel pump gets crudded up from sitting around and the little check vales (1 in/1 out) that make up the pump get sticky and don't pump enough fuel so you have to run it on choke. I have to take that aprt almost every year also....

It's a common problem with small ICE that only get used infrequently

Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You've already done what I did when my 8hp B&S engine would only run with choke... cleaned the carburetor.

My friend at the small engine/mower shop said he can't keep ahead of all the work coming through the door with starting/running problems.

I'm in CA and the new gas is causing havoc with rubber carburetor seals and gaskets... especially if the equipment is stored without running the carb dry first.

If the engine starves without choke when warm... I still think the problem is a fuel blockage in the main jet
I had the main jet out and cleaned it. I'll say this much putting it back together wasnt fun. But your right about the rubber. The hose I had to replace. Was all dry rottet. With 2 big holes in it.. Do you think there might be a gas filter some where in the tank?? I Didnt see any "Inline Filter"??

Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 PM

Also before I put the cover back over the crab I tried to start it. I hit the primmer 2 times and gas came flying out the opening of the crab. I never seen something like that happen before?? Any thoughts?? Is that normal??

Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Found a pic, of what my crab looks like. Its the same one on the snow blower.. Small Engine Carburetor Repair I dont understand about the needle?? Does it move?? Or when I on screw the main nut could I take it out and clean it??

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Found a pic, of what my crab looks like. Its the same one on the snow blower.. Small Engine Carburetor Repair I dont understand about the needle?? Does it move?? Or when I on screw the main nut could I take it out and clean it??
John, Is this a horizonal shaft engine? Can you post the model and type # of the engine? You'll find that stamped on the starter housing. Most likly above the spark plug.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Using carburetor cleaner can damage a small engine. Use WD40.

On some of these newer engines,(B/S 4cycle) the adjustment scew on the side of the carb, is an "air" adjustment, not gas fuel adj. If it's too far out, the carb, is getting too much air and feeding the engine a lean mixture. Choking it blocks air from coming it so getting a morricher mixture.
If the mixture is too rich, (as it is fully choked) it will cause the engine to run rough and blow black smoke.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
John, Is this a horizonal shaft engine? Can you post the model and type # of the engine? You'll find that stamped on the starter housing. Most likly above the spark plug.
This number is on the snow blower it self..
Sear's
Modle # 536.886540
Code # 419411826

This number is on the side of the engine.

# 143.955001
Sear's
4178B

Hope that helps?? Thats all I could find.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
This number is on the snow blower it self..
Sear's
Modle # 536.886540
Code # 419411826

This number is on the side of the engine.

# 143.955001
Sear's
4178B

Hope that helps?? Thats all I could find.
That won't help with the engine, But I know what type of carb, you have so I won't need it.

Do you have some WD40? you may have to remove the air cleaner for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive