Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,549,898 times

Advertisements

yeah i remember the book Unsafe At Any Speed about the Corvair. Something about dangerous understeer(rollovers) during cornering and a heater that had carbon monoxide circulating thru it and gave people brain damage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM

105 posts, read 436,471 times
My first car was a 71 Vega Hatchback, I loved the car. Had no problems with it at all. It had 10,000 miles on it when I bought it, and when a car came to close when I was shutting the drivers door on it, and bent it all the way to the front, it had almost 100,000 miles on it. I changed oil every 2500 miles and had no trouble what so ever. It must have been a Tuesday or Wednesday built car.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM

687 posts, read 2,940,017 times
bought a new Vega in '71(same year as the pictured red coupe, not a '73btw). 2384bucks. I coulda bought a new Nova 2door with 6 and 3speed for 2184, but, no....I wanted a "sports car"....Put 31,000 on it in exactly one year. It was smoking, overheating....sold it to a girl and her dad. He took it to Chevy, got a replacement under recall longblock. She was still driving it last I saw it in 1985. Not a bad car once you got the "iron duke" engine or at least the steel sleeve replacement block.
Mine was built right after the strike was settled, rear bumper sat 1 1/2" higher on one side than the other, unibody was all jacked up when welded together. Back then they were rare and in demand, I got one of 2 the dealer had.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,895,795 times
Wow, tough bunch around here...
I had a Pontiac Astre, same as the Vega. I liked that little car, it got good fuel economy, and was kinda fun to drive. I drove it for a couple years, then gave it to my son. we put a wrecking yard engine in it, and he drove it for a while, then we sold it.
I also had a 63 Corvair Spyder. GREAT little car, again, good fuel economy, and it would run faster than I wanted to drive it. I never had any Nader problems with it.
I have also owned several AMC vehicles. Especially the Eagle models. In fact, I have one out in the shop right now, that we are trying to get fixed up. An '82 Eagle SX/4 Sport, 6 cyl/5 speed. The Eagle models were the best cars ever built for "snow country", IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive