Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,753,670 times

Advertisements

Have you tried to put it in gear, Drive or Reverse after car is running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 06:54 PM

812 posts, read 4,069,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Ok, I can get the car to start. But the engine won't run. I keep hearing cunk and thats it. It won't go anywhere else. Again the car turns on radio, air, lights, but the car won't move when i press the gas and the engine won't roar. If there is snow do I try and pick it out?
I'd say that you AREN'T getting your car to start. If you hear your starter clicking, and your engine doesn't turn over, your car is not started. It sounds like you can get your car in access mode for the radios and lights, but that is NOT the same thing as your car being started ACC = battery power, but no start.

Not surprising, if it's snowed in, it's likely quite cold out. You'll need to get the car either warmed up or dig it out and tow it indoors if able.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,629,654 times
Do you really think you should be driving?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM

563 posts, read 1,443,673 times
What year, make and model car is it? Is it a diesel? If it is a diesel engine in the car, are you paying attention to the glowplug light on the dash?
Let's hurry and get that car into your garage!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Do you really think you should be driving?
NO MEANIES!
Have patience...some people are not well versed in motorhead-speak....

Old 12-21-2008, 08:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,460,762 times
Quote:
My mom got my car stuck yesterday in the snow. She turned off the car and I went today to start it up. It starts but the engine won't go. I tried shoveling the snow out of its way. Still no good. Is the snow the problem or is my engine dead? When I turn the keys the car tries to rev but to no good. And its very cold right now, -6F and wind chill.
My advice would be call a tow truck.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,629,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterLady View Post
NO MEANIES!
Have patience...some people are not well versed in motorhead-speak....
Not trying to be mean!

I just think that anyone operating machinery of any kind that has the potential to injure themselves or others....should have a rudimentary knowledge of how that machinery works...Sorry!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Not trying to be mean!

I just think that anyone operating machinery of any kind that has the potential to injure themselves or others....should have a rudimentary knowledge of how that machinery works...Sorry!
I agree with you 100%!! I purchased my first car and my dad -
A. Made me pay for it myself.
B. Change the oil, service the transmission, and do a brake job, MYSELF, under his supervision.
C. Quizzed me mercilessly regarding the workings of the car.
Loved it! He made me a lifetime motorhead. And I'm female...
Now, is this guy gonna call the towtruck?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,571,261 times
Quote:
Ok, I can get the car to start. But the engine won't run. I keep hearing cunk and thats it. It won't go anywhere else. Again the car turns on radio, air, lights, but the car won't move when i press the gas and the engine won't roar. If there is snow do I try and pick it out?
Ok, 60-Minutes . . . I'm as confused as the other guys.

When the engine starts and doesn't "rev" . . . is it in gear or neutral? How deep is the snow around the vehicle? If super deep, possible either the exhaust or air intake systems are blocked so the engine is not able to "breath" properly which would limit "revving". Keep in mind, no engine will run properly with restricted air intakes or exhausts.

Have you allowed the engine to warm up thoroughly or do you just try it once or twice and then give up?

Good Luck

Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,545,390 times
The guy who answers this one correctly defiantly deserves a rep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive