Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 PM

210 posts, read 744,730 times

Advertisements

What is sea foaming your car and what is the purpose? I see it done on other automotive websites and dont understand the purpose. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
I use it in my weed wacker - great de-carb.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Helps clean out the junk and removes the "varnish" that can be on the tank and carbs.
I put it straight in my carbs and into my bike tank and it helped alot. Itll make things seem worse before it gets better though, if it does help at all.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Sea Foam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm - broken link)

"Sea-foaming" your car is the application of this product. I have seen it mostly on the west coast, if you are from the east coast or midwest you may be more familiar with BG-44, which is similar.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf (broken link)

Although I have seen it for sale more in WA than in any other state I have lived in, turns out it's made in Minnesota. I always thought it was from Seattle.

It's good stuff, cleans well. Of course if you don't have any deposits for it to clean, it can't do much.

If used as directed, it will at worst not hurt anything, IMHO.

Apparently the "IPA" in the formula is isopropanol. So it's a blend of some sort of light oil, naptha, and isopropyl alcohol. No rocket science (that would be WD-40).

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 12-19-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: expand remarks some more

Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Seafoam = BAD

Auto-RX = GOOD

Seafoam is probably the worst cleaner you could put into your car's engine besides soapy water.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Yet everyone swears by it. I've never used it though.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Seafoam = BAD

Auto-RX = GOOD

Seafoam is probably the worst cleaner you could put into your car's engine besides soapy water.
Could you provide an explanation for such strong statements? Any explanation that is even remotely scientific or technical in nature?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I should say using seafoam in the gas tank might be helpful but using it in the oil/crankcase is risky IMO. I found that auto-rx does a much gentler clean and doesn't dislodge the sludge that could possibly cling to your oil pan pickup screen. The only downside with auto-rx is you must use conventional oil, and it's expensive.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
I would tend to agree with you on Seafoam in the crankcase.

I have had good results with using Seafoam in the intake-disconnect a vaccuum line from the brake booster or other large vaccuum source and allow the engine to suck the seafoam in while running. Shut the car off after all of the Seafoam is in the engine and wait a few min for it to soak in.

Start the car and let the Seafoam and other dissolved deposits burn up - usually results in lots of smoke:

http://video.cardomain.com/Clip.aspx...D1BC69F8CB5380

2003 F150 Sea Foam- Video

Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Every 30k miles I use 2 bottles of cheap STP gas treatment. One goes in with a full tank of gas. The other I punch a pinhole in the top and let the PCV vacuum line suck it into the intake. It results in the smoke show (esp when cold & humid) and cleans the carbon off the valve & piston faces and spark plugs. Then I change the oil & filter afterwards. It's possible a little bit of that stuff leaks past the rings and drops into the crankcase. Probably harmless, but I'd rather have everything clean and not take any chances with chemical reactions.

On my old project car I did an experiment and poured a small stream of water down the carb with the throttle held open. It really cleaned things out -- water & carbon crap staining the ground below the tailpipe. However it resulted in water mixing with the oil, as it leaked past the rings. (The engine had no compression problems.) Nothing disastrous happened; it was a controlled experiment, but is the main reason I suggest changing the oil & filter after doing this treatment.

BTW that 'smoke show' is the seafoam itself burning up. It makes some customers believe it's actually the deposits/particles burning up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive