Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:21 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg View Post
Never and I mean never, never, never take your car to the back door at Wal-mart.
You don't really have the authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:02 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,733 times
Well I spend about $15 bucks on 5 quarts and a filter. I live in area with one of the lowest costs of living in the US (an hour from Wal-mart headquarters) and I haven't heard of an oil change for under $30 in several years.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
I'm more than happy to change my own oil - and often do. The primary thing that keeps me from doing it all the time is disposal of the used oil. It's a hassle.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I have had my oil changed at Walmart now for 15 years,today is my last.They made no mention of new price,the buzzards have raised there price from the $20 range to $32,greed,greed and no consideration for hard times.Their explanation not making enough money!!!We can still get oil changed here in the $20 range.If I had known I would have gone elsewhere.
FYI:

I don't normally shop at Walmart, but i stopped there last week to check out their tire selection. While i was there, i noticed in very small print on their counter placard, that they'll do an oil change for $25.00. It's called the "House Special".

Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I buy my oil and filter at Wal-Mart and then bring it home and change it myself.

I did have to buy a tire at Wal-Mart once though, it was on a Sunday afternoon and every other tire shop was closed. Thank God Wal-Mart was open or else I would have been stranded that day.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Greed? What, you're entitled to an oil change at $20 or something? They're not a charity, they're a business. Wal-Mart operates on the thinnest margins imaginable. If they're greedy then everyone else is downright corpulent.

Wal-Mart has an extremely healthy profit margin.

Still wouldn't shop there for anything, period.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,452 times
Think 30 bucks is bad? Try over $100 for a diesel six cylinder Cummins, which needs 12 quarts of special diesel oil.
I also have noticed that the WallyWorld "techs" tighten lug nuts and torque them to specs. It saves me from having to request it or provide my own torque wrench...and they have also let me go into the pit and inspect the drain plug.
Here in SoCal, Walmart has the best prices and it has been proven that Jiffy Lubes and their like have cheated people horribly, so I would never take my vehicles there.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Wal-Mart has an extremely healthy profit margin.
Wal-Mart's profit margins typically run in the 3.5% range. That's mighty thin. But whatever their profit margin is, to call them "greedy" for charging standard market rate for an oil change is beyond silly.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterLady View Post
Think 30 bucks is bad? Try over $100 for a diesel six cylinder Cummins, which needs 12 quarts of special diesel oil.
I also have noticed that the WallyWorld "techs" tighten lug nuts and torque them to specs. It saves me from having to request it or provide my own torque wrench...and they have also let me go into the pit and inspect the drain plug.
Here in SoCal, Walmart has the best prices and it has been proven that Jiffy Lubes and their like have cheated people horribly, so I would never take my vehicles there.

That's also every 7500 miles or so.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I have had my oil changed at Walmart now for 15 years,today is my last.They made no mention of new price,the buzzards have raised there price from the $20 range to $32,greed,greed and no consideration for hard times.Their explanation not making enough money!!!We can still get oil changed here in the $20 range.If I had known I would have gone elsewhere.

$32.00 ??? OH MY! Heck, even my dealer does not charge that much!

I stopped getting my oil changed at Wal-Mart when they went up $20.00. I remember not too long ago that our local Wal-Marts only charged $11.00 for an oil change! Then oil went up of course.

I can change the oil in my American cars and Mercedes myself, as its easy, but not on the Lexus. It has an engine cover underneath that has to come off to get the filter off.

Funny. I can take my Lexus to the Lexus dealer (which also has a Toyota dealer in with it) which is about 25 miles away and they charge me about $52.00 to change the oil.
OR I can take my car to the more local Toyota only dealer (which is 9 miles away) and get it changed for about $30.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive