Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times

Advertisements

I know Missouri salts the hell out of the roads when we get snow/ice. I've seen vehicles from the 2000's already starting to rust. I've looked at pickups from the 90's that I thought I would fall through the floor if I sat in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to find a direct replacment for my 1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon with out the rust that is disolving the frame. It is no longer worth welding in more metal.

Anyone have any ideas where these cars were popular and relativly rust free?

Thanks, GregW
Searchtempest.com is a site that does a nationwide craigslist search. Using that site and searching for that car over time you can see where they are most popular.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Actually doesn't it depend on where in Florida you buy?

I owned a Florida car once. It was a 1984 Buick Regal. This was in Dec 2005 when I bought it. I did a research on the car's history and found the car had spent it's whole life in St. Petersburg, FL until it was transported up north to North Carolina. The car did not have any rot on it whatsoever....clean solid metal. It did have crazed faded paint and a faded interior. Maybe it was garage kept? Who knows.

But my uncle did own a 1976 Nova back in 1996 when I had my 1975 Nova and claimed he was jealous because his car had rot on it, but it was also a beach car.

And why not buy a car from the east coat? I lived in North Carolina for 8 years and noticed most of the cars there were very solid.

In fact if i ever saw any cars that had extensive body rot, they were usually from Wisconsin or Michigan or Indiana or even Ohio.
Since we're concerned about rust, it's a good bet we're looking for 20+ years old cars with inadequate rust protection of the era(s). It's the main factor in search for a solid car. By solid I mean 100% rust free, period. With cars that old, it's a very good chance it has spent some extended time sitting ignored at least once. Not good, as neglect can cause rot in a hurry.

If it's a Florida car, I generally avoid it because 1) I can almost guarantee a Florida car has been at a beach at least once due to proximity. 2) The acid rains do cause havoc, especially on roofs. 3) The heat cooks paint, thins it out to nothing, then eat the bare metal.

It seems we have a different definition for east coast. NC is the south to me. Southern states is another good area. East coast = mid-atlantic states & New England.

The older the car, the drier the climiate you should go. I'd have no problems buying a '90 in Georgia, but a '90 in Ohio? Fuggetaboutit!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post

The older the car, the drier the climiate you should go. I'd have no problems buying a '90 in Georgia, but a '90 in Ohio? Fuggetaboutit!

Agree... as you can see in the pics I posted of my Caprice and Century, both made in 1990, and my moms 88 Mercedes (which was a GA/SC car), that the undersides are as solid as they can be... both are local (northeast Tennessee) cars.

I had a 1994 Lumina in 2002 that came from NE Ohio... the underside was so rusty. I didnt know when I bought it, but soon found out later. I said I would never buy another car from northern Ohio again!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Here is an example...

Here is my 91 Caprice (this is a Tennessee car) (I took this when I was doing brake work)

taken in February:

Here is a 91 Caprice from the north (New York I think) - the front fenders looked as bad as this lower 1/4 panel.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Fine visual, Tenn.Storm. :thumb:

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 55,080 times
Look on Craigslist in Arkansas ,Texas & Tenn. For that Roadmaster wagon with no rust

Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 AM

107 posts, read 227,090 times
That chart a few pages back definitely isn't completely accurate.. Alaska doesn't salt our roads.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,013 times
Michigan uses lots of salt. Interesting, my daughter got a 97 Neon (Detroit area), has nice solid body, no undercarriage rust. I'm going to make sure it's washed well every winter. Cars normally rust on the bottoms here.
The trade off, in southern CA, my grandparents lived in Fontana, the old cars have nice solid bodies, but the sun and heat fades the paint, and cracks the vinyl.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Texas cars are prone to rusting in some gulf coast localities, that get natural salt spray on the roads near the shoreline. Particularly Port Isabel and Port Lavaca are notorious, but probably elsewhere, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive