Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

Do people find that Marvel Mystery Oil works well if you add it to the gas tank? I find the car starts in a flash especially the day after adding it. I also add it to the oil crankcase but I'm not sure if it makes a difference(it says on the bottle you can add it to the oil too)

Do you also find STP gas treatment works well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Try the Lucas Oil products.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Chances are, the largest actual effect is on your billfold.
But, hey, if it makes you feel good to use the stuff, go ahead.
I have two on-road diesels, 2 on-road gassers, and three off-road gassers, plus an assortment of gaspowered equipment.
The only additive I use is Sta-Bil in the gasoline that goes in the generators, air compressor, and such things. I use NO additives in the diesels.
When in doubt, read the Owner's Manual.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
MMO is a worthwhile product, but if your engine is running fine you should never touch it. It works very well for breaking stuck motors loose and can also be used to de-sludge your crankcase and valvetrain. In the latter case, it should be noted that regular oil changes will net the same results.....and that if you do have a dirty motor and choose to dump MMO into your crankcase, you better get ready to change that oil again about 100-500 miles afterwards. I dumped it into the gas tank once just because I had some left over, don't think it did anything.

I've only used it on basket cases where the next viable option would have been pulling the motor apart by hand. I had one Saturn that hadn't seen an oil change in 50k miles and I got great results on that car. If you keep up with regular maintenance, you should have no reason to use the stuff, or any of these other snake oil new-motor-in-a-can products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive