Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times

Advertisements

I concur, if your name isn't on the title it's not legally yours. And if it's not legally yours then all you can do with it is drive it for now. And if it's giving you too many problems or whatever then you might want to look into getting a used car....because unless you have a good paying job (which I'm sure you don't if you're in college) then that new 2008 Pontiac is going to probably tax you to death to the point of you having to work 2 jobs just to pay on it, losing sleep and failing your college courses....you see where this is going here? Besides a good used 10 yr. old car to get you around campus sounds like all you need right now. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Maybe you should be grateful he is letting you use a car that is not yours, instead of complaining about it. This seems like the same as me complaining that my boss won't let me sell my work computer..it just doesn't make a lot of sense...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
There is a bridge in Brooklyn that I do not have title too but still want to sell it. Are you interested?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 AM

27 posts, read 124,528 times
Well I have a space big enough, you just have to get it here to Chicago. . . Good luck. . .

Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 897 times
I have a car and it's in my name. I can't go in and get a duplicate title. Is there any way without physically going in to get a title?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monakenady View Post
I have a car and it's in my name. I can't go in and get a duplicate title. Is there any way without physically going in to get a title?

Questions like this require much more information than you provided. Each state has its own laws. You could start with your state's DMV website. Why can't you go in and get a title? Is there a lien on the vehicle? Is there a question of ownership? Are you in jail? One possible option is to designate someone via a special power of attorney and have them get your title, assuming it is free and clear.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I have seen junk yards that would not take a car with no title.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have seen junk yards that would not take a car with no title.
This.

I once sold a car to a junkyard with no title... It is my firm belief that they operated a chop shop, and that what they were doing was (at least borderline) illegal.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:00 PM

282 posts, read 236,090 times
Wait. Let's back this up a second.
You have a car. Legally yours, right? As in it's in your name? Why does your dad have the title?
Either way, I'm assuming you're a legal age adult. It doesn't matter if he likes it or not. He can't hold YOUR title and YOUR property from being sold (unless he had a lien, etc. But that doesn't sound like the case here).

In any case, even if you can legally sell without the title where you are, reasonable buyers will completely avoid the car or expect a deep cut for it. That's a deeply risky purchase.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:07 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Wait. Let's back this up a second.
You have a car. Legally yours, right? As in it's in your name? Why does your dad have the title?
Either way, I'm assuming you're a legal age adult. It doesn't matter if he likes it or not. He can't hold YOUR title and YOUR property from being sold (unless he had a lien, etc. But that doesn't sound like the case here).

In any case, even if you can legally sell without the title where you are, reasonable buyers will completely avoid the car or expect a deep cut for it. That's a deeply risky purchase.

The OP posted this years ago. Someone just revived the thread.

But......

His father CAN hold the title if it is not in the OP's name. If the title belongs to the father, so does the car. Regardless of whether he gave it to him or not.

Monakenady, is there something preventing you from physically going into the DMV to apply for a lost title? That may be the only way that you can get it. If you are physically unable to go, ask if you can assign POA to someone else and have them take care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive