Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

on the New Yorker do you notice that the sound level measurements in "sones" compared to the Mercury and GM cars:
quiet road 30 noisy road 30 highway 60 hwy 70
Mercury Marquis 16 24 28 32

Chev Caprice 17 23 29 33

Buick Electra 17 21 29 33

Chrysler N Yorker 18 26 30 34

Ford Gran Torino 18 24 30 37

Fleet--The Buick, Chevy and Mercury all were judged "quiet". The Chrysler was judged "fairly quiet" although it's sound level measurements are very very close with the Ford Gran Torino(which i used as a comparison to the Chrysler) which was judged "quiet".

So fleet do you really think that if you rode in the Chrysler there would really be that much of a difference in sound levels enough to judge it only fairly quiet? look at those numbers, they're very close

what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
I would guess that the Chrysler would probably sound slightly noisier than the other cars. But not a big difference.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
I had two cars before I got my license,a Plymouth Belvedere with a 413 and a Volvo PV544.....The first car I had in my name and drove daily was a orange/black '69 RoadRunner 440 4spd that I got two days into my sophomore year.I instantly peed my old man off and everyone in a two county area by taking it to a exhaust shop and having straight pipes put on it all the way out the backEvery heard a 440 magnum going through the gears wide open with straight pipes??LOUD!!!!.Bad move on my part tho' because I ended up sitting beside the road in a lot of little redneck towns with redlights flashing in my rearview mirror and me saying "yes sir","no sir" a lot and "They were on it when I bought it sir,but as soon as I can afford it sir,I'm getting mufflers".

Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The first car I purchased with my own money -- Dad gave me a hand-me-down 1973 Mercury Comet when I was in college -- was a 1983 Mercury Lynx, 5 speed. I picked it because it was inexpensive and reasonably solid for an economical little tin can. Didn't hurt that the only one on the lot with a manual transmission was red.

Turned out I hated that car after the first year. It was pretty, but it didn't last. The carburetor gave me repeated fits and left me stranded more than a few times.

The neat thing about it? A co-worker also had an 83 Lynx. We could open each others' car doors, but not start the ignition. This came in handy on several occasions when we'd lock ourselves out of our cars.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Model A Ford... it was in my price bracket and I could do my own repairs...

Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I had two cars before I got my license,a Plymouth Belvedere with a 413 and a Volvo PV544.....The first car I had in my name and drove daily was a orange/black '69 RoadRunner 440 4spd that I got two days into my sophomore year.I instantly peed my old man off and everyone in a two county area by taking it to a exhaust shop and having straight pipes put on it all the way out the backEvery heard a 440 magnum going through the gears wide open with straight pipes??LOUD!!!!.Bad move on my part tho' because I ended up sitting beside the road in a lot of little redneck towns with redlights flashing in my rearview mirror and me saying "yes sir","no sir" a lot and "They were on it when I bought it sir,but as soon as I can afford it sir,I'm getting mufflers".
Yeah, you have to watch the noise level!

But today's aftermarket mufflers (and exhaust systems) are both quiet and efficient.

And 440s do have a great sound!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
The first car I purchased (as opposed to my first car, which was bought for 50 bucks and given to me for my 15th birthday) was a 1961 Ford Falcon 3 door station wagon with the 170 Thriftpower 6 and 3 on the tree. I paid 200 bucks for it and drove it into the ground.

Why? Because it was affordable and roomy. Uglier than sin though.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post

Oh come on !!! You ran the pipes all the way back? On my Firebird, I had headers and empty glasspacks bolted to the collectors. End of the glaspack case was end of the exhaust system. I got to the point of when a straight pipe harley would ride by and couldn't hear the cops telling me what they thought of my exhaust, if I already had the ticket I ask them why they wasn't pulling over the Harley? They were still louder than my Firebird

Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 43,391 times
1963 Chevy Impala, CHEAP!!!!! Bought it when I was 15 and kept it hidden from my parents. Drove it with a cardboard sign that said "lost tag".

Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, you have to watch the noise level!

But today's aftermarket mufflers (and exhaust systems) are both quiet and efficient.

And 440s do have a great sound!
They were not nearly as rough on us back then as they are now....I have a 454 5spd crew cab dually 4x4 now that I have dual exhaust from the manifold back with 12" glasspacks on it and if I'm in "town" I short shift it to keep it quiet.I also have a BBC rat rod that I run headers with zoomies on (when it runs) and I keep it out of town because the fine is $75 for loud pipes around here and all they would have to do is take a picture of it and I would lose in court....Just a picture of it is over 100 decibels

BTW Fleet...I saw this pic of a Caddy rat rod and thought you might like it.

http://kadillackrazy.com/images/65%2066%20CADILLAC%20RATROD%20AIRRIDE%20CUSTOM%20A IRBAGGED%20CHOPPER%20%201.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive