Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
cool, man. if you dont mind, can i ask why you like imports?

Reliability is number one and style. Not saying the domestic lack this because they don't. It's just my preference BUT show me a '69 Hemi 'Cuda and watch me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Reliability is number one and style. Not saying the domestic lack this because they don't. It's just my preference BUT show me a '69 Hemi 'Cuda and watch me.
Just out of curiosity, you've only had two cars, correct? A Civic and a Camry? So when you say American cars are not as reliable, that's your perception from media and what other people say?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
If you want to modify a camry why not just get a diff car to being with? The most I would do to modify a family/economy car would be wheels, window tint, and HIDs.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Why don't you buy American?

Mods only make sense if they suit your needs - so its really up to you. If putting money into your Camry will improve your appreciation of the car, then it can be worth it. I had a friend who had an RX-8, was dissatisfied with it, and rather than sell it modded it with an intake, exhaust, coilovers, and rims. He still didn't like the car, and ended up selling it, taking a loss on the mods.

Having modded cars myself, I can tell you the mods only make sense if you like the car already - don't look to them as band aids tomake the car what you want.
I agree. I am not crazy about the Camry but God made it available to me for a reason. I have modded cars before so I am just curious as to how it would look. However I like the 08 body style and I have seen a few modded ones that look pretty good.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/mokaru/Picture079.jpg (broken link)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2990809

Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
Quote:
with reliability, you have a point. it's argueable though. i have found that if you keep up with preventative maintenance on a domestic, you may not run into any serious issues. and with a foreign car, you can often get away with foregoing maintenance for a long time. so, 1: you have to take care of your car, and 2: a lot of people still have the residual image of the "poorly built American junk" from the 70's.

as for style, if when you think about performance, you're thinking about 4 and 6 cylinder sedans, and economy sub-compacts - i dont see many sexy looking body styles to choose from, whether you buy foreign or domestic.

and just so you know who youre dealing with, there is no such thing as a 1969 Hemi 'Cuda. i get your point, but the Plymouth body style you are likely refering to debuted in 1970:

the 'Cuda actually looked quite different in 1969 and was called the Barracuda.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Just out of curiosity, you've only had two cars, correct? A Civic and a Camry? So when you say American cars are not as reliable, that's your perception from media and what other people say?

Negative. I mentioned only these cars. I have had a lot of cars (import & domestics) in my 42 year of existence. That's my perception of what I have seen. The media and other people do not influence on my way of thinking.

Again, let me make this clear, I do buy american cars by choice. I prefer imports. I have nothing against american cars. I have a feeling some posters are indeed gonna get this in a wrong way.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Since I got my new Camry I have been thinking of adding some mods to it. My toy was an 02 Civic Si hatchback which went from a daily driver to a heavily modified little hot rod.

Since the Camry is seen mostly as a family car, I was thinking about upgrading to HID headlights & foglights, set of TRD lowering springs, 18 inch wheels. Intake/exhaust and engine mods (turbo) are optional but I'm willing to go ahead with it.

If you guys had the means, would modify/upgrade your ride?
I figure out what I want on a car, then I buy the car that has what I want. Anyway, I don't get a thrill out of personalizing or customizing cars.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
As someone who never leaves anything stock, I always do modifications to vehicles. While personally I would never own a vehicle as ugly or retarded (in my opinion) as a camery or accord, I've had many big and mid sized (true big and TRUE midsized cars, not the subcompacts of today they call mid size) that i've added better suspension and brake components to. More for my safty and enjoyment than caring about what anyone else thought of the car. Like my 85 Delta 88 4 door that is being done now. It will be ble to corner with a vette, yet ride like the midsized car it is without beating you to death. Larger brakes with 255/60x17" tires, (I hate that large of dia. wheel, as I think they are too much rim on anything other than a truck, but brake clearence forced it).
Just finishing up getting the Cobra 4 v. engine in my 95 T-Bird. Next will be suspension stuff on it. All the while building my 69 Firebird dragcar.
Oh, I have a 77 F150 Supercab that has a built engine in it too. I just can't seem to leave any of them in their pathetic no power stock state!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
with reliability, you have a point. it's argueable though. i have found that if you keep up with preventative maintenance on a domestic, you may not run into any serious issues. and with a foreign car, you can often get away with foregoing maintenance for a long time. so, 1: you have to take care of your car, and 2: a lot of people still have the residual image of the "poorly built American junk" from the 70's.

as for style, if when you think about performance, you're thinking about 4 and 6 cylinder sedans, and economy sub-compacts - i dont see many sexy looking body styles to choose from, whether you buy foreign or domestic.

and just so you know who youre dealing with, there is no such thing as a 1969 Hemi 'Cuda. i get your point, but the Plymouth body style you are likely refering to debuted in 1970:

the 'Cuda actually looked quite different in 1969 and was called the Barracuda.

I agree with you in the preventive maintenance part, as long as you take care of your car regardless if it's domestic or import it will last you a lifetime and more.

On your style comment I would say although everyone was created equal we're all different. You may not find any sexy body styles under that segment but what about me, or other posters?

So I was off by a year.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Posted by Linson;
...there is no such thing as a 1969 Hemi 'Cuda. i get your point, but the Plymouth body style you are likely refering to debuted in 1970:

And the Super Stock allowed Hemi Cudas? Remember they had to have built at least 50 to be allowed in Super Stock. That is why there is no RA V Pontiacs in Super Stock. Over the counter don't count. Not being up on the Mopar stuff, I was sure there were some 69 Cudas with the Hemi.
As for quality of the American cars today, they are every bit as good and actuly better in many cases as the import companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive